The online racing simulator
stick shift instructional video
(4 posts, started )
Hey guys, this might be an interesting request...but I have a friend that lives 8 hours away and wants to get into racing. I have been racing for 7 years now, and he just randomly tells me today he's interested in trying it. He has a new 07 civic, not a ricer...just got a commuter car, and knows how to drive a manual. However, he has never driven it...aggressively. I'm trying to explain, however I can't find a good video showing how to shift quickly, and explaining it over a chat program is difficult. So far I have shown him a good video of power shifting, and I told him do the same thing, just lift when he shifts. (doesn't need to void the warranty goin out power shifting his new car)

So possibly a video, or a better description would be awesome. I already showed him this video to warn him about downshifting instead of upshifting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... ;mode=related&search=

if ricers are good for something its entertainment hahaha
You don't need to "power shift" in order to change gear quickly. If he knows how to drive a manual, i.e he can drive one rather than just knows what he has to do, then he should be able to change gear as quickly as the gearbox will allow him to using the clutch pedal. The gains to be made from "power shifting" are almost zero really, and you're much much less likely to make a mistake.
#3 - bbman
I have to agree with sinbad... It's not like it's another way of shifting, you just do it more quickly than you'd do it on the roads... A decisive, smooth movement without too much force is all that's needed or you risk breaking anything...

And you'd have to be incredibly stupid to misshift like the guy in the video... One little trick can prevent you from misshifting: for 1st, 2nd, 5th and maybe 6th, you grip the stick from the side, so you push the stick in the right direction... Only 3rd and 4th are gripped from above... If you then act on our advice not to force the stick into a gear, you should never have any problems with misshifting...
#4 - ajp71
Well just work on changing gear with a firm, decisive movement, if you do that you will end up shifting faster naturally without so much risk of not making a smooth shift. I'd try to work on the exact opposite of 'power shifting', which IMO is a rather silly idea in any car at any time and work on trying to lift the right amount to get the revs balanced so you minimize the shock of clutching, both to produce smoother and more confident driving and to be nice to the machinery

(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG