The online racing simulator
Multiplayer Framerate Issues!
Okay, I have searched through the forums about this issue I am having. It seems to be mostly in multiplayer, though in singleplayer with the AI it used to lag in the corners, (I always thought that was due to AI pathing algorithims and stuff...) However when racing in multiplayer this problem is way more apparent, and there doesn't even need to be many racers. (Single player with 1 / 2 AI's don't hurt me at all).

When I am starting a race, or entering a corner with more then my car on the track my framerate DROPS... Like I can get 90-120fps driving around, then I get near someone and the fps goes to 40. (Which isn't bad, but it will also drop down to 10). I could probably deal with it if I had my momo, or my G25 that I just ordered, however I am using an XBox 360 controller since I am ought of state for business right now.

Which reminds me I found a thread somewhere that stated the 360 controller caused framerate issues, but why would it only cause issues near other cars? Thats what I found from researching on the site, other peoples problems don't sound simular to mine... Now, thats the problem and here are some other things that I have tried.

I was going to type out all my default options that would effect the framerate but that would have made this post huge... I have tried MANY different combinations including all settings to the lowest and highest, and neither seem to effect much... (High doesn't allow my framerate to get into the 120s when I am alone, but still manages a decent 50-70fps.

Now, heres the final peice of my puzzle. At this point people may be thinking its the CPU, and rest assured I have no other background processes (except those that keep my computer running... No AIM, Yahoo, or additional background processes...) With that said, I run dual monitor. So I started one small background process for a test run - Task Manager. So that I could watch the performance and memory hits. This shocked the crap out of me. My CPU stays in between 60% and 70% (Hit a max of 85% when loading). So thats not the issue. My memory stays below 440mb and I have 512mb so thats not the issue.

I am assuming there is something with the graphics, but as previously said, I tried the settings... I don't really know which LOD setting looks worse to run better either, don't really see visual differences So I guess thats an issue. I have the multiplayer speedup option ON and even only drawing the cars if they are within 80 meters doesn't help the problems... (It hits when the cars pop on though. . . I do believe...) However, this 80 meters thing is not enough distance to see a stopped car when your driving 120mph, and I have caused a few accidents on the CTRA server due to this, I am not happy about it but what could I do? A car is stopped and I had no warnings... Back to the issue, does anyone have any ideas where my bottleneck could be and how to fix it?

I am only here for a few more days (meaning I won't have the internet when I go back home ... So if someone could really help I would appreciate it a ton!) Sorry for the long post, and I hope it describes my issues well enough.

[EDIT]
Did I just try everything an nobody has any other advice? Also, did anyone know how the LODs work? Which values lead to better performance vs higher quality? I've tried setting the sliders all over the place, but haven't noticed much change. Yea, I guess not... I'm not really into bumping messages but its been three days and I have no other possible solutions... Anyone had a problem like this?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG