The online racing simulator
Please don't flame me foer asking this
I went on a cruise server for the first time last night to see what it was. I still don't get it what are people doing there besides talking? Why don't they talk on a form instead of in a racing game?
Let me know! I am not putting it down I just don't get it.
heh...I went there once too and I didn't get it either. They have a web page (dont have time atm to look for it, sorry) and when I went there there was a LOT to read. I'm gonna watch this thread too
Well for me its just a relaxing server to go after some serious racing, Everybody knows each other and its just really relaxing and fun, however dont worry I still race more then I go on cruise servers.
I find the cruise servers are getting a bit cliquey and just turning into glorified chatrooms.

When I first started, if you saw a car on its roof or side, you ALWAYS helped it back upright unless you had a very good reason for not doing so.

Everytime I've gone onto any cruise server recently, if I flip the car, no-one helps at all, even after asking politely several times - they'll immediately go over and help regulars though.
It is quite simple really , cruise servers are for relaxing, chatting and just idling, easy going stuff.

Race servers .... need i say anymore.
yes but is there a point? Like earning money for access to other cars? Isn't the introduction of a competitive theme a contradiction to a relaxing few laps round FE green at 50mph?
LFS is the latest revolutionary chatting platform
The only times I ever went on was to get used to my DFP (didn't want to rush on a race server and cause a nasty!)
#9 - DeKo
Quote from R34GTR :The only times I ever went on was to get used to my DFP (didn't want to rush on a race server and cause a nasty!)

i did that exactly aswell. I still go on it often. was on the kyoto server today, its just good fun when you cant be arsed with a proper race.
Cruise servers are nice for having a nice chat with freinds, and to have a cruise. We dont just chat on them though, for example, on CLC, they hold quizzes, skin competitions, enduros and many more.

@Crashgate, it all depends on what server you are on. I wont say no names, but some cruise servers are full of rude arrogant people, much like you will find on xBox live. And other servers have at least one nice person in there 95% of the time.
I cruise alot, simply because I suck at racing
Quote from al heeley :yes but is there a point? Like earning money for access to other cars? Isn't the introduction of a competitive theme a contradiction to a relaxing few laps round FE green at 50mph?

Yeah a road car track day/chat server somewhere like Fe Black would probably be really popular with racers. As it stands the cruise servers all seem to be implementing enough InSim crap to break the entire internet and when they're not routinely crashing then you can drive around in whatever car you've been able to buy, well of course you can't because you get obliterated in a head on collision with somebody who doesn't want to play by the rules and forces you to spectate and loose your car, what fun
Quote from Nathan_French_14 : for example, on CLC, they hold quizzes

ROFL.

Well that's the most original addition to a driving sim I've ever seen, I'll give you that.
Quote from The Moose :ROFL.

Well that's the most original addition to a driving sim I've ever seen, I'll give you that.

nothing wrong with a bit of fun .

I dont see why anybody has a problem with cruising on a race game. I used to frequent cruise servers, and generally. it was a nice getaway from serious racing.
The quiz sounds interesting , do we use the horn as a buzzer?.
I visited a cruise server once. I was just driving around slowly to get used to my new G25. Never hit anyone, never said a rude word. I didn't get the chance because I was ban-voted out of the server in 3 minutes for no apparent reason. Never came back.
I dislike that my cashflow goes to -30 when I drive really fast
Quote from franky500 :I dont see why anybody has a problem with cruising on a race game.

I think racers get the shits when nobody is racing, but the cruise servers are well populated.
Doesn't bother me in the slightest though; a lot of people in the cruise servers aren't interested in racing at all anyway.
I would go on them if you didn't have to drive around for 10 Zillion hours just to use an XFG

If I just want something relaxing and to just drive around with other people I would rather go on a drift server.
"cruising" servers, I don't get it?
I've been on the servers where you just drive around, and those seem to be the most crowded etc.

But I think I'm missing something, what is so appealing about this? I know how say, city driving, runs the server, but I don't see the challenge there and wondering if I'm missing something cool. Apparently you just drive at 60mph for the most points, and speeding gets you less. Which is simple and no much to do!

I'm not slamming just trying to see why there is such a crowd on these, wish the race servers had fields that big!!
Quote from Rick. :But I think I'm missing something

It appears that people like the beable to "level up" in order to get other cars.. I can't see the appeal myself though tbh..
I use these cruise servers when I'm very very bored ( 1day\month )
And when cruising becomes boring, I join a CTRA or Redline
Even tho I do go on some crusing servers quite frequently I'm not interested in cruising as cruising. I enjoy cop chases. But I visit them only when I'm really annoyed from noobfloods on CTRA or CD
Quote from the_angry_angel :It appears that people like the beable to "level up" in order to get other cars.. I can't see the appeal myself though tbh..

It's the illusion of accomplishment. This is something easy to see in almost any MMORPG. Lowering your laptime by a second on any track/car combo is an accomplishment but takes long, hard practice. This is similar to improving skills in FPS or fighting games. "Earning" a fast car by driving around for a similar length of time (ie grinding rats in an RPG) is simpler and less demanding but generates a feeling of progress, even if all you've done is invest time and your driving isn't better than when you started out. Not that I have anything against cruise servers. Well, maybe the one that automagically penalizes you for going faster. That's just ass-backwards.
#25 - JTbo
Maybe next upgrade should have talking cars from movie Cars

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG