The online racing simulator
Translating weather.
(3 posts, started )
#1 - Lible
Translating weather.
I hope you can understand, what i mean by translating weather. It`s very strange at Single Player menu, if not using English. I don`t care if it`s in track file. Make it translatable, thx.
Well, I guess it's possible, but afaik it's much harder than making static strings translatable. As you said yourself, they are stored in the track files because these define what weather states are available. Simply making that string editable is a no no because it would have to be saved into the track files too, therefore modifying and invalidating them for online play.

So, a possibility would maybe be to store the standard strings in the track files, and if loading a translation there are extra text files for each track which contain the names of the weather states.

PS: It may be a language thing, but atleast I consider this "I don't care if it's in track file. Make it translatable" pretty rude.
If the weather strings are in the track file it is a bit harder to make them translatable compared to the other strings but not by much.

The best solution is to put the weather strings in the program/language file and use ids in the track file (ie 0 is bright clear, 1 is clowdy etc) so each track has the ids of the weather available for that track.

The problem is this would probably require an incompatible patch and possibly new track files...

An interim solution can be: leave strings in the track file but also add them to the exe and in the language file. When displaying weather names they are checked against the ones in the exe and the corresponding ones in the language file are displayed instead of the default ones.

Hope I made sense

Translating weather.
(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG