The online racing simulator
\lspped the Laptop in disaster
(331 posts, closed, started )
first of al, i would just like you to look at ALL of the pictures...and then tell me...casically, temps are going up yo 70 using speedfan, before they went till50-55 while on lfs....so do you think i have mucked up th sensor?...or i have i done somethin g wrong, if i have done something wrong...please tell me what to do, even if it involves sanding stuff down

more pictures in next post

thanks
Attached images
1.JPG
DSC09613.JPG
DSC09614.JPG
DSC09615.JPG
DSC09618.JPG
DSC09619.JPG
DSC09620.JPG
DSC09621.JPG
DSC09622.JPG
DSC09623.JPG
DSC09624.JPG
DSC09625.JPG
#2 - Jakg
Firstly WTF are you doing taking the heatsink off? Congratulations on ruining your thermal paste, and getting air bubbles in there.

That fan looks about 60 mm, which means your better off blowing on it.

In an ideal world you would make some custom brackets and drop on a nice CPU cooler, but i highly doubt you'll get it mounted.

TBH if it were my laptop i'd do nothing, and if it blows send it back under warranty OR i'd replace the stock TIM with some AS5 (Or probably Shin Etsu, depending on how adventurous i felt), if it wouldn't require too much work.

That CPU cooler was designed for a much older batch of CPU coolers, TBH that's now the sort of thing i'd slap on the northbridge.

You can't much up a temp sensor, as the core one is built INTO the CPU die, and the CPU one is underneath the CPU in the socket - if they BOTH read 70 then somethings wrong, but if you get something like a lower core temp than CPU temp it's a possibility (My old CPU did this at the start, never worked out why).

I still don't believe it *actually* loaded at 55° when OC'ed though, from my experience with laptops.
more pics

ny the way, that hs and fan didnt fit
Attached images
DSC09626.JPG
DSC09627.JPG
DSC09628.JPG
DSC09629.JPG
DSC09630.JPG
DSC09633.JPG
DSC09634.JPG
DSC09635.JPG
DSC09636.JPG
DSC09638.JPG
DSC09639.JPG
DSC09640.JPG
more..btw jack, any suggestions to fix it?

Attached images
DSC09642.JPG
DSC09643.JPG
DSC09644.JPG
DSC09645.JPG
Attached images
DSC09646.JPG
DSC09647.JPG
DSC09648.JPG
DSC09651.JPG
DSC09652.JPG
DSC09653.JPG
DSC09654.JPG
#6 - ajp71
I really don't get what thought process you used to work out that removing the heat sink and then taking a blurry picture of a screwdriver would be a more sensible solution to solving your overheating issue than just stopping overclocking it and seeing what happened.

What you've done is as about as helpful as checking for a leak from a petrol silo with a lighter.
Quote from harjun :any suggestions to fix it?

Clean off then re-thermal paste the CPU
Put everything back as you found it.
Undo the stupid overclock.
Pray it all still works.
Stop trying your best to ruin a perfectly good laptop.
Job done.
#8 - Jakg
Please tell me you didn't just take your CPU, clean off the thermal paste, put it back in and wonder why your temperatures were so high...?!

Every CPU and heatsink isn't perfectly flat - so when you put one on top of the other there are thousands of tiny air pockets stopping it making contact, as Air is a fairly good insulator, some heat isn't transferred and thus the CPU get's warm - You use a thermal paste (low heat resistance) to fill up these microscopic holes, making more heat come off the CPU into the heatsink making it run cooler. Now the trick is to use VERY little of this paste, as it is still an ever so slightly insulator - if you use too much, then you get god-awful temps (I've attached the last time i ever let my Dad put thermal paste on, and the amount i used on my old Athlon - as you have no IHS you won't need as much).

Your laptop will naturally run hot (like i said i cannot believe it loaded at 50°, that's why my 3700 did with a bigger overclock, about 50 CFM moving through the case and modded (crappy) water cooling) because of the lack of airflow - when you go and ruin the main part of it's cooling it gets even worse.

By the fact you've tried that crappy heatsink it implies you don't care if it's portable or not - if you don't need something portable, get a flaming desktop. It won't overheat as much, it will be cheaper and faster, more upgradeable, and if you build it you can spot faults so much easier.
Attached images
36370d1165256597-my-reserator-100_1675.jpg
10019349cx-1.jpg
Ever heard of the phrase, if it ain't broke don't fix it Harjun?.
Remember it in the future, it will save a HELL of a lot of hassle
@Jakg

Ohh how i rofl'd at that first pic Its like some kind of cake filling!

"Would you like a processor with your thermal paste sir?"
#11 - Jakg
That's my Dad, a "qualified heating engineer" using half a TUBE of AS5 for ONE application.

MOST of the thermal paste was on the poxy heatsink as well!

This is the same Dad who after getting my to take my GFX card from my PC, snatched it and immediately dropped it on my foot - he then said "If it breaks, it's your fault" and walked off :X
ok thanks guys, well let me tell you story, on Vista, some times load temps were 50-60 Celcius...now after installing XP temps NEVER above 50...well, until i mucked everything up yesterday ...im not sure i did actually muck it up, so is this thermal paste the lovely squidgy stuff i found on the Heatsink above my graphics card?...because there was a different sort of "sementy" paste on the cpu, which i just scratched of my nail, today after coming back though, load temps are at 55

I really do want to get a desktop now, because after going to my dad's work yesterday, he has a very old computer, which i got the fan off....it was off a Pentium Pro, which was running at 100 Mhz, i dont know which computer is, but it allowed me to enter bios and it managed to be overclocked to 900Mhz...and with that "crappy" fan on it, load temps were 40-45, but there were a few other random fans, and it looks like some heat spreaders on the VGA, i guess my dad had built it a long time ago, how comes my VGA is so small, is it because it uses my RAM as memory?....because it actually has 128 mb dedicated memory, but bios allows you to put 258 more...making it around 350 something i would guess....

I really DO want a new desktop, because i just loved how fun it would be to do stuff to that computer, changing stuff, i also read over my brothers Asus motherboard manual, from a PC he has built recently...and it shows how to install everything, installing a heatsink, and i managed to successfully install the Heatsink on that computer, and load temps went to about...37, as an average calculation, with fan speeds on 100%....its just so fun, i decided when i get to University, my parents will OBVIOUSLY buy me a Custom built PC of my choice if i do good in Key Stage 3, or GSCE, i wish to buy a Core 2 Quad or Duo, as i heard they have a good overclock rate, and as for the overclock on my laptop, i got fed up with it, my laptop is a perfectly good Turion X2 as it is, and well, i am HAPPY with it!

So, when i got home, i was too overconfident, and i tried removing stuff, and well? i HATE laptops, desktops are so much BETTER, they all use the same fan input, my fan input was different, and it only allowed me to install 1 fan, so it was stupid.

So thanks guys for info...do you think i should like, sand it down or something? or should i not, i dont wanna ruin anything....i could just sand my heatsink and not my cpu?

ok thanks guys, i have now lost 5 celcius...but i am gonna study HARD for my gcse and KS3, so i WANT a good desktop

Thanks so much Guys
You managed to overclock a processor 9 times faster than standard and it ran cool?

As for laptops I'm not sure if taking them apart removing the thermal paste then putting them back together would improve many peoples satisfaction level.
Quote from harjun :it was off a Pentium Pro, which was running at 100 Mhz, i dont know which computer is, but it allowed me to enter bios and it managed to be overclocked to 900Mhz...and with that "crappy" fan on it, load temps were 40-45, but there were a few other random fans, and it looks like some heat spreaders on the VGA, i guess my dad had built it a long time ago

That's just crap, for 3 reasons. First reason: No socket 8 motherboard in existence will allow a Pentium Pro to hit 900MHz (the Multi and FSB are nowhere near high enough, and even if they were, the processor would be massively unstable, and not even POST).
Second reason: The Pentium Pro was manufactured in 150MHz, 166MHz, 180MHz and 200MHz flavours, so even your original clock is wrong.
Third reason: The Pentium Pro didn't have a temperature sensor. Therefore checking core temperatures with them isn't possible.

Before making claims, CHECK YOUR FACTS!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that setting FSB and Multi in the Pentium Pro days involved shifting jumpers around on the motherboard. So even your method of overclocing wouldn't work
#15 - Jakg
Quote from harjun :I really DO want a new desktop, because i just loved how fun it would be to do stuff to that computer, changing stuff, i also read over my brothers Asus motherboard manual, from a PC he has built recently...and it shows how to install everything, installing a heatsink, and i managed to successfully install the Heatsink on that computer, and load temps went to about...37, as an average calculation, with fan speeds on 100%....its just so fun, i decided when i get to University, my parents will OBVIOUSLY buy me a Custom built PC of my choice if i do good in Key Stage 3, or GSCE, i wish to buy a Core 2 Quad or Duo, as i heard they have a good overclock rate, and as for the overclock on my laptop, i got fed up with it, my laptop is a perfectly good Turion X2 as it is, and well, i am HAPPY with it!

WTF are you on.

I've got an Asus manual, and it shows how to install naff all, but it does go on about "ASUS EZSTEP SUPER PROPELLER NITRO TURBO ASAP 1337HAX" technology.

I seriously can't see your parents getting you a custom PC (your looking at £1k plus) for doing well in KS3 - i might come off like a rich spoiled toff with my PC, but i've been saving for a long while with an oppresive father who won't let me spend my own money - i went massively over-budget with my Quad Core (thus the B3) as it is. I thought i was doing well getting some cash towards my bike...
Quote from harjun :So thanks guys for info...do you think i should like, sand it down or something? or should i not, i dont wanna ruin anything....i could just sand my heatsink and not my cpu?

ok thanks guys, i have now lost 5 celcius...but i am gonna study HARD for my gcse and KS3, so i WANT a good desktop

Thanks so much Guys

Please do NOT sand your heatsink, your crappy attmept at lapping WILL make things worse.

Quote from harjun :ok thanks guys, well let me tell you story, on Vista, some times load temps were 50-60 Celcius...now after installing XP temps NEVER above 50...well, until i mucked everything up yesterday ...im not sure i did actually muck it up, so is this thermal paste the lovely squidgy stuff i found on the Heatsink above my graphics card?...because there was a different sort of "sementy" paste on the cpu, which i just scratched of my nail, today after coming back though, load temps are at 55

Reinstalling your OS will NOT make a difference to temps, only chances are you used a different version of software to check the temps.

I can't say what Thermal Paste is like, as OEM's use 4 gallons of the stuff and the stuff they do use is utter crap, but AS5
I'm sorry, but I've just laughed my head off reading that.

To be honest Harjun, you should have stopped when we told you. I can see you in the future wasting all of your money on a computer and then overclocking it to death.

Just buy a better computer if you want a fast one - for pete sake.
Quote from Jakg :
Please do NOT sand your heatsink, your crappy attmept at lapping WILL make things worse.

No you should use an angle grinder, it will get the job done quicker and guarantee to leave you a nice shiny surface.
I don't say this too often but Harjun, you are a dumbass...seriously. Don't bother with the custom PC as you probably won't be able to get it together, and if you do, you will probably **** with the vcore and start melting stuff. Your better of just getting one of those pretty simple packages, something that will work, and is up to date, and don't bother overclocking it.
~Bryan~
harjun - How much FPS do you have using this laptop? Single player and full grid (32)
Quote from Töki (HUN) :harjun - How much FPS do you have using this laptop? Single player and full grid (32)

well Overclocked it does 50-55 fps...and not overclocked does about...20-30

but 2XAA and 2XAF it does 70 in full grid....and 40 not overclocked
#21 - Jakg
(FTR - a .4 GHz overclock won't double your FPS, i don't quite think Harjun's comparisons are acurate)
It will on my 233MHz Pentium 1 with MMX! [/leet]
oh yeh....it does actuallly....FYI OMG ....AFK ATM
Please don't tell me this is the same Laptop that everyone told you not to overclock then laughed at you when you did and lied about it?

Dear God...

Edit:

Quote :
I don't really recommend overclocking for you, you are only about 13 and you don't know about your computer a lot

Quote :
Whoahoho don't overclock your notebook, its going to end in disaster

Quote :
Overclocking a laptop = No no

Quote :
Just leave your poor notebook as is, I mean if you want to still have a notebook tomorrow

Quote :
I STILL RECOMMEND YOU NOT DOING IT!

Quote :
I really think this is a bad idea

Quote :
Harjun, I honestly...Totally DO NOT RECOMMEND IT

Quote :
Just, whatever you do. Don't come crying to us because we showed you how to blow up your computer

Quote :
My advice is simple: DON'T BOTHER!

Quote :
THIS IS A REALLY BAD IDEA!

Quote :
PLEASE don't even try

Quote :
you really should LEAVE YOUR PC alone

Quote :
don't even attempt to overclock it

Quote :
You are honestly the most stupid person ever

Quote :
just don't respond to this idiot

Quote :
it obviously isn't a good idea to overclock a laptop

Quote :
but your an idiot

[SIZE=2]
Quote :[SIZE=2]Harjun.

You WILL break your laptop if you try to overclock the crap out of it like you are suggesting

Quote :
But those people aren't twats like you

Quote :
TBH I think he'll get similar results to his overclock attempt by simply hitting the laptop with a blunt object for several minutes

Quote :
Just remember, if you break your laptop, don't come crying to me

Quote :
I just wanted you to STFU.

Quote :
Congratulations, but in the long run you are severly shortening the life of your laptop.

Quote :
Jesus christ. Stop being an idiot. Stop trying to overclock your laptop

This is just a hand full. Don't say we didn't warn you...
This thread is closed

(331 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG