The online racing simulator
What motherboard ?
(23 posts, started )
What motherboard ?
Hey guys im looking at geting a new motherboard soon , ive currently got a asus p5p800s, 2 ddr400 slots, lga775 , nothing flash really.

Im thinking of geting a asus p5b deluxe.but im really confused, is it worth it ? i want it to be a good motherboard so i dont need future changes due everything advancing like always.,,

also graphics card ? 8600gts ? go for it ?,,

thanks heaps guys.

heres the link to the p5b on ebay
21 views ? and no one can help ? ,

thanks guys
Check out the 650i northbridge chip. Supports 1333mhz FSB. Overclocks great. Lots of stuff in the bundle usually. 8-channel HD audio, 3gig SATA, gigabit lan, only one PCI x16.
~Bryan~
#6 - Jakg
How much do you have to spend, what features do you want.

The P5K pwns, but i don't think he'll want stuff like it's OC'ing prowess
i want a good one i guess, so it is capable of handling a good graphics card, multiple ram slots, and new stuff sorry lol im not that good with comps, thought i was but geeez you guys are freaks,, i dunno i guess somthing thats good. 300 dollars AUD il spend.
Quote from dropin_biking :Check out the 650i northbridge chip. Supports 1333mhz FSB. Overclocks great. Lots of stuff in the bundle usually. 8-channel HD audio, 3gig SATA, gigabit lan, only one PCI x16.
~Bryan~

I like it i may get it not sure yet.$250 australian dollars i can get it for on ebay
#9 - Davo
ebay is a gib for computer parts. Depending where you are I'd look at computer shops such as MSY and CPL. I'd go with the P35 chipset so the P5K or a Gigabyte P35-DS4.
Well don't forget, if you don't need a HIGH END motherboard, or even one that overclocks you can always save money and get a budget board.
~Bryan~
#11 - Jakg
I can find motherboards that overclock just as well as the CrossHair for a shedload cheaper - i really dislike it as a board tbh.
Quote from dropin_biking :Check out the 650i northbridge chip. Supports 1333mhz FSB. Overclocks great. Lots of stuff in the bundle usually. 8-channel HD audio, 3gig SATA, gigabit lan, only one PCI x16.
~Bryan~

what do oyu guys think of that motherboard ?
#13 - Jakg
It... works...? Not sure waht else i could say - i disagree with "overclocks great", but i doubt you'll be overclocking.

If you are overclocking, then i'd recommend the Asus P5K.
so somthing like this

p35c
#15 - Davo
Dude ebay is a ripoff, you can get that board for $173, but yes, something like that would be good.
Yer it was just an example,ive got my own supplier,and as we speak my new machine is geting built,but until then my mobile is keeping me ocupied.thanks guys,im going for a quad core motherboard by the way
I recomend the ASUS STRIKER EXTREME.
You will have to update the BIOS but once that has been done awsome.
Im running one of these with a quad core and 4 gigs of ram.
The only real prob is windows but then thats always been a problem since the time of dos and 3.1
#18 - Jakg
But why spend that much on a board when he'll probably use any of the features...?
What ever you spend determines on how future proof your system will be.
When you consider that intel released 16 core processors last month mother boards will come on the market soon.
I have always worked on the bases of buy the best you can afford. If you buy cheap you will end up paying more in the long term
#20 - Jakg
The only thing the striker extreme has over something like the Gigabyte DS3R is SLi...

I'm with you on buying good quality mobo's/PSU's, but i've never seen the advantage to stuff like the Crosshair/Striker etc.

Intel released a 16-core CPU, but a mobo running a P35 (or X38) chipset is more futureproof than a 680i board even if it lacks SLi.
SLI is pretty naff anyways, seems too silly to have to buy a better PSU, motherboard, and cooling solution just two run two card that a single card could probably do better for cheaper (once you figure an SLI mobo and PSU, and two cards)
~Bryan~
So you are saying that one GTX is better than two GTX'es in SLI? Well...maybe I understood your post wrong.
#23 - Jakg
2x 7950GX2's in SLi (making Quad SLi) was actually slower in alot of stuff than a single GX2 (but then 7950's SLi'd owned the GX2 anyway thanks to the heat they put out, and the clock speed drop they had).

Crossfire is a much better solution, and the only one that makes it worth it (ie 2x 2900 Pro's in Crossfire, flashed to XT's, would come in at the price of a GTX, and if you added some more cooling (which imo you'd need to do on a purely noise point of view) you'd get something VERY potent).

SLi is really only worth it if you have *the* top-end cards - you can pick up a GTX for about £300, and a top-of-the-line water cooled eVGA Ultra for £600, but you can also pick up Ultra's for £400...

(Yes i know theres a more expensive Ultra in the form of the Leadtek... thing, but as it includes a whole Water Cooling system in the price it's not fair to compare it to a GTX)

What motherboard ?
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG