The online racing simulator
lfs tv
(8 posts, started )
lfs tv
i think we should have if you dont want to race , but without spectating just click on a server to watch it .
#2 - CSU1
streaming tv costs server resorces and money, why should each server stream tv when they could host another 12 racers?
Quote from jwardy :i think we should have if you dont want to race , but without spectating just click on a server to watch it .

I totally agree with you....

this works superbly well for games like counter strike, Quake, Unreal Tournament and that style.....
It could be a great idea for large-field endurance races. Insead of taking up a server slot, you could spectate the race from outside until it comes your turn to drive.
Quote from CSU1 :streaming tv costs server resorces and money, why should each server stream tv when they could host another 12 racers?

Actually it wouldn't have to be streamed video.
If Scawen could make an app which was effectively just like using Spectator mode then that would keep the data flow to a minimum (well compared to streaming anyway). I think he could easily add about 10 - 15 spectator slots on each server without impacting on lag/ping too much.
I think it could be done too. A modified LFS client which connects to a single spectator slot, that the spectators connect to.
That client would simply update the vehicle positions every so often (a few times per second would probably be enough). Pings would probably be horrible, but if you're not interacting with the race it probably doesn't matter.

Now that I think about it, wasn't Becky in the process of making a little 3D app that did something similar? It wasn't a modified LFS, but I remember seeing screens of something. Or maybe I've just gone crazy and imagined it all.
#7 - Jakg
Quote from Dajmin :Now that I think about it, wasn't Becky in the process of making a little 3D app that did something similar? It wasn't a modified LFS, but I remember seeing screens of something. Or maybe I've just gone crazy and imagined it all.

Nope, it was a 3D version of LFS Spectater, called "LFS RaceWatcher" - i think Patch X broke it.

Even had skin downloading...
Like most FPS games, there needs to be a spectator server capability.

This should be able to link to the server you want to watch.

Works with most FPS games such as Day of Defeat, Counter Strike, and Quake, Unreal Tournament. This way, its easy to build the sport for spectators for key races!

lfs tv
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG