The online racing simulator
Reason why people hate LX4/6
(93 posts, started )
Think i finaly realized why people hate these cars.. or prety much all non downforce cars. You simply need the "butt feel" in order to drive these kind of cars properly..
I'm a LX lover, but i can understand their low popularity.. You really really have to struggle with your wheel and countersteer like crazy because you can't sense the slide in your butt, instead you have to rely on your wheel to tell you that.. That's simply not possible...
I love to drive them, but i'm too sometimes frustrated when i chase a WR or some good time, then the driving becomes really nervous and i stop enjoying myself. When i drive them slowly, not thinking about the time, then the pleasure starts and you can really apreciate their excellent handling capabilities...

I remember driving LX4 on Fern Bay, boy i didn't enjoy that, people were passing me like a complete noob, and i was simply all over the place, strugling to even go straight.. I just think that with the curent hardware that we have, you just can't enjoy the non downforce cars in way they deserve it..
Frankly, the "people" don't decide which cars are popular.

The server admins do.

The big servers (ctra, etc) focus on specific cars. Therefore, people want seat time in those particular cars, and practice in those cars. So they choose those cars and join servers that have those cars (thus, providing false-demand and furthering the cycle)

If the ctra or redline server started races with the uf1000, the mrt, or the lx-X cars, those would be the popular cars.

I'm great in the MRT, its my favorite car to drive, it provides a better "racing" experience than any other car (try racing with 20 of them on a shorter track...its constant wheel clinching hardcore racing) ... but none of the servers run then hardly, so they dont gain popularity.
I think it's because people are lazy and they don't like to do things that are hard. Why race the LX6 when it takes 10x more effort to drive than the FOX?
I don´t like the steering, is too much sensible, the rest of the car is superb, but the steering makes it not a pleasure to drive.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Why race the LX6 when it takes 10x more effort to drive than the FOX?

Why race a street car when you can race a purpose-built racing machine?

Every snide argument has it's counterpoint.
I like driving the LX cars although I'm not fast. I don't know why but I love the steering, power, and everything... It's a matter of opinion.
Quote from rjm1982 :Why race a street car when you can race a purpose-built racing machine?

Every snide argument has it's counterpoint.

Right back at'cha!

Why race a purpose-built racing machine on the same combo, over and over again when you can use a bit more skill and try something new?

The LX's are more of a rush. FOX's are more of a race. Depends which end of the stick you hold really.

I prefer the end with rusty nails in it, not the easy-grip end.
Just my 2 cents.
I love the LX's. They are prob the most fun cars to drive in LFS.

Why on earth there aren't more servers with them i don't know.

I don't think they are any harder to drive than any other cars tbh, and I certainly don't agree you get any less feel for what they are doing than any other car in LFS.
#9 - ajp71
Whenever it comes up on the forum lots of people come out and say that the LRF cars are their favourites/they want to see more. It then usually results in someone deciding to put a server up running them people join and have great fun racing, in slightly harder to drive cars, actually I reckon it is far harder to be fast in the FOX than the road cars. Anyway some people can't get used to the fact that they can't pile into a hairpin at the speed of light and expect to get round or that they'll have to learn to control the car, these people disappear from the LRF servers and then the server remains full for a week or so with really good racing then disappears and the only place to drive the LRFs is the novelty servers
LX4 is my favorite car. FE4R is perfect for the LX.

I used to like the LX less in S1 and early S2, but now that's all fixed.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I think it's because people are lazy and they don't like to do things that are hard. Why race the LX6 when it takes 10x more effort to drive than the FOX?

Exactly.. but you can't denie the fact that to drive a FOX or a XFR, FZR etc you don't need the "butt feel" at all practically, while to be fast in a XRT, LX4/6, FZ5 you have to deal with the lack of G forces on the other, unnatural way.. only through a steering wheel.. Or you can take a Setup that turns a LX into a dead animal and you can drive it like a FOX.. I don't want that, but i simply NEED the butt feel, there's no question about it..
With the LX you need a certain amount of finnese (if thats how you spell it) and an awareness of what is actually happening.

They're very sensitive to weight-transfer, making it vital to trail some braking into the turn-in. Feeding the trottle in a little to sit some weight over the back end before you plant it helps too

I know these principles apply to most cars but with the LX they're just so much more apparent. If anybody asks me what's the best car to teach some skills i'd say LX every time!

Turning on/up the G effects for camera movement can help a bit with the 'ol seat of the pants thing, though it ain't gonna beat a motion platform! (or maybe a real Se7en!)
i dont like the steering
Quote from Theafro :With the LX you need a certain amount of finnese (if thats how you spell it) and an awareness of what is actually happening.

They're very sensitive to weight-transfer, making it vital to trail some braking into the turn-in. Feeding the trottle in a little to sit some weight over the back end before you plant it helps too

I think Theafro has it pretty much nailed it here. With the FOX or FXR it is very easy to learn bad habbits making it quite hard to learn the tougher cars later. RAC, FZ50, LX6 and FO8 are the cars you can't drive without finesse.

I think the LX4 is the perfect car to learn the non-aero&slick cars in LFS. Enough power to spin the wheels, not too sharp and knife-edge like its big brother but still enough animal to lure you to the dark side

LX8... HEAVEN!!!
LX6 is my favourite car and I think its probably one of the easier cars to drive, its very forgiving when you actually plant the throttle - you only start messing up when you go into a corner half arsed or with a slide.

Take it to SO or something really tight and twisty and you'll learn how to handle it, once you move onto the wider tracks (BLGP/Aston) you'll find its super easy to be quick.
well, my 2 cents now.. i recall i saw a real video of a car such the LX6..i can remember exactly how the driver was acting since it was an onboard cam..i can tell ya he was really struggling to keep the car straight (dry condition), countersteering like hell almost on every corner..even smooth corner sometimes..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Exactly.. but you can't denie the fact that to drive a FOX or a XFR, FZR etc you don't need the "butt feel" at all practically, while to be fast in a XRT, LX4/6, FZ5 you have to deal with the lack of G forces on the other, unnatural way...

But still, after a couple of laps you'll know where the car is likely to misbehave and what sort of inputs will upset the balance, so you don't really need "arse feedback".

I personally don't see the appeal of the easier cars - I get bored driving them because there's not much to do except get cornering speeds right and point it in the right direction. I'd much rather have a car that keeps me on my toes.
Quote from silent_wind :well, my 2 cents now.. i recall i saw a real video of a car such the LX6..i can remember exactly how the driver was acting since it was an onboard cam..i can tell ya he was really struggling to keep the car straight (dry condition), countersteering like hell almost on every corner..even smooth corner sometimes..

Which reminds me, we need one of those 250kW+ LXs in LFS
favorite here is the 6, people just find it a bit hard at first or just plainly prefer the cars with slicks, but as rooble said i also think its forgiving when going full throttle and most of the people i see trying it online rarely floor it...then they ask for setups and wonder why x or y is going so fast, its just knowing the limits, flooring the thing and enjoying it. its not like your gonna pay for the damage if you wreck it
There were so many attempts to make the LRF class popular.
There was an LX-Club, LX-Month, the LX-Wxx-Servers.
It was great fun, but after a while all of this disappeared.
The only chance to get an LRF-race is if a group of people is forced to train for an event, league or something.
most people don't like the cars becuase they don't drive them often. drive an LX4 for a couple of hours and you'll find its faster than TBOs and a lot more fun too.
Lx4 Rocks ! :d:d:d:d
#23 - Woz
The LX4/6, FZ5 (TC off) and the RAC are not popular because for many they are just too hard.

Personally I love the cars without downforce but I tend to drive just below the "edge" in all cars so these cars suit my driving style. (Race pace instead of hotlap pace)

If I am in a race I watch people hack off and then still get a podium because people try to push them too hard and DNF.

If there are not many people around (For NZ timezone) I tend to join empty servers and select one of these cars trying to get non downforce races going but then you just geet swamped in the normal GTR cars because for most they are easier.
Reason why people hate LRF?
Because they dont have slick tyres. (which is the reason I love them)
Quote from rjm1982 :Frankly, the "people" don't decide which cars are popular.

The server admins do.

The big servers (ctra, etc) focus on specific cars. Therefore, people want seat time in those particular cars, and practice in those cars. So they choose those cars and join servers that have those cars (thus, providing false-demand and furthering the cycle)

If the ctra or redline server started races with the uf1000, the mrt, or the lx-X cars, those would be the popular cars.

I'm great in the MRT, its my favorite car to drive, it provides a better "racing" experience than any other car (try racing with 20 of them on a shorter track...its constant wheel clinching hardcore racing) ... but none of the servers run then hardly, so they dont gain popularity.

How do the server admins decide what cars are popular? There are over 300 servers, majority sitting empty at any one moment. It's still the people who decide to join the same old boring combos that certain servers supply.

The same boring combos were used way before Conedodgers, CTRA, and Redline ever came about. AS3/GTR and AS2/FOX has always been the most populated no matter the name of the server. And I wouldn't count the CTRA servers in there because that is a specific system you are running on there. Has nothing to do with car/track popularity. When STCC had the LFR+LX4 server, I had always seen others chose the LX4 over the LFRs independent of their license. I wish the CTRA would bring that car class combo back.

(93 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG