The online racing simulator
#1 - Rick.
Screen saver kicks in while racing
Some embarrassing crashes! This is the only game I have that does this. I read here about users wanting the screen saver disabled in windowed mode, but I'm full screen and it comes on.

I'm using a game pad and this apparently isn't enough to let windows know I'm not idle. But then again other games using it don't do this.

Please no cracks about not using a screen saver, I'm just asking for an easy fix for the next release.
Hmm, strange.

I have never had the issue while running in fullscreen mode.

What OS you running?
You could do a temporary fix,

Make (or get someone to make) a little program that presses a key every so often. A key that isn't used in LFS, so it doesn't interfere.
Surly turning off the screen saver would be a preferred "temporary" fix?
#5 - kompa
i've had vista x86 go into sleep mode a few times (thought i disabled it) while spectating at least, can't remember if it happened in other situations..
Strange, this started happening to me the other day in full screen, so I just had to disable screensaver (or tell it to kick in after 100minutes)

If your using win XP, just start>control panel>appearance and themes>display>screensaver tab>and change the time to something like 200 minutes

I dont think there is any fix you can do until the next patch, i tried a few things, but they wouldnt work, sorry
#7 - Rick.
I'm running vista32 and yes I know I can just disable it, just wanted the devs to know about it. I'm pretty sure it must be lfs because games are ok.
I have the 32-bit Vista on my computer and I've never had any problems with that. I can spectate for hours with my screensaver set to 10 min.
I have seen it crop up a few times. I guess its something thats system dependant.
I actually have not just let it spectate, this only happens when driving so far. Hmm I wonder, I am going to let it just spectate and see if it still kicks in...
happened to me 2 but i set it to "let device wake computer up
I had the same problem. I took out 4 good drivers at Aston in the chicane... it just went black right before the chicane (could there be a worse place for it) right as I was turning in, i hit the wall on the backside and shot back into traffic... Was really bad because I was a lap down and they were the leaders (was going to let them pass on the straight right after there)

Of course they were pretty ticked, but I explained and they all understood...but damn thats embarrassing.

Vista 32bit ... I wrote a program in c# one time to fake a keyboard event (just pressing the shift key) once every 15 minutes...i dont have it anymore though (i had the same problem in winxp with a game...forget which game it was now). Might have to make something like that again...worked like a champ.
Seriously, what a lousy bug for a game like LFS.. Hope the devs resolve this issue. I see how moving the mouse every once in a while can hurt the (so few) mouse drivers but hey, do a check if the driver is using a separate set of controllers and whether he's in a race..

And no, I DONT want to just disable the screen saver. What if I'm using the screen saver to do some useful work (eg defragmenting hdd or running BOINC).
From my experiences the screensaver only comes on while playing LFS if you're using it in Windowed mode.
Quote from Rick. :
Please no cracks about not using a screen saver

Not a crack, an honest question - why use a screen saver? Burn-in on modern displays is a thing of the past. If you leave your PC alone for an extended period, just press the power button on the monitor to save even more power.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG