The online racing simulator
Jacques Villeneuve Joins BDR
(26 posts, started )
http://www.nascar.com/2007/new ... uve.bdavis.cup/index.html

Quote from article : BRISTOL, Tenn. -- If there is one thing about former Formula One drivers when they come into NASCAR, it's that they know how to move fast.

Hoping to mirror the steps sown by former F1 driver Juan Montoya, who now drives the No. 42 Dodge for Chip Ganassi Racing in the Nextel Cup Series, former F1 champion Jacques Villeneuve will soon embark on a path that could place him in his own Cup ride for Bill Davis Racing before this season is complete.

Davis, the owner whose teams run Toyotas, said Friday at Bristol Motor Speedway that he will put Villeneuve in the final seven Craftsman Truck Series events this season, plus the ARCA event at Talladega Superspeedway -- all in an attempt to prove to NASCAR officials that the former F1 star will be ready for a full-time Cup ride by 2008. But Davis didn't rule out Villeneuve getting some seat time in a Cup car by the end of '07.

"I don't know. He's going to do some Cup testing, some Car of Tomorrow testing, and maybe toward the end of the year we do run a Cup race," Davis said. "We'll just kind of see how things go."

Asked why he was planning to start Villeneuve off in the Truck Series, Davis replied: "I think it's just a good starting point. We've got a successful Truck program, and trucks that run up front and win races, and good teammates for him to pull from. It just makes sense. That's something he could step into that's working on a weekly basis, something that he can build his confidence in."

Villeneuve won 11 races in Formula One, but last ran in the circuit in 2006 and hasn't won since he captured the F1 title in 1997 -- his second year in the series. He also is a former Indy 500 champion and a former CART open-wheel champion, having won both that prestigious race and the CART championship in 1995 before moving on to F1.

Davis said Villeneuve will participate in a Truck Series test with his new BDR teammate, Mike Skinner, this Monday in Chicago.

Montoya and Villeneuve had a sometimes contentious relationship when they competed against each other in F1. But Friday, after qualifying on the front row for Sunday's Sharpie 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway, Montoya said he welcomes the Canadian into NASCAR.

"I think it's cool. I think it's nice to see Jacques come in and hopefully he does well," said Montoya, who qualified second for Sunday's race and will start on the front row alongside pole winner Kasey Kahne. "If I can help him in any way, I will. He's a nice guy."

Davis admitted that Montoya's success as a Nextel Cup rookie influenced his decision to pursue Villeneuve. Montoya has one win this season and also qualified on the outside of the front row for the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard at Indianapolis Motor Speedway .

"I think that's got everybody's attention all year long -- the fact that he's come in here and had the success that he's had. And mostly that he hasn't struggled," Davis said of Montoya, who currently is 19th in points. "I think even with the talent that everybody knew he had, you expected some problems and tough days -- and he really hasn't had any. So that was something, obviously, that we looked at."

Montoya said he does not consider himself as opening the door for merely more F1 drivers to try their nimble hands at NASCAR.

"I think I opened the door for a lot more people -- not from Formula One, but people that are afraid of coming to NASCAR because they thought, `Aw, it's so much different nobody can do it.' With myself being competitive, I think people are saying, `Man this is the sport to be in,' " Montoya said.

Davis said he is still working on getting a sponsorship deal set for Villeneuve.

"Everybody is working on that," Davis said. "It's not that hard to build racecars. It's getting them funded that's the hard part."

Davis also said he is confident that Villeneuve can be competitive quickly at the Cup level in the Toyota Camry that has been a struggle for others to drive in its first season.

"If you've got good equipment, which we think we have, and a great driver, you ought to be able to do it. That's the way we feel," Davis said. "I'm not sure it's going to be a tremendous challenge. He's got such talent, and desire to do this, and focus and credentials, that I think we can make it work."

Montoya had one last piece of advice for his former F1 colleague about stock-car racing.

"You have to be patient," he said. "There are going to be good, bad and evil races."

Bill Davis Racing's #22 is one of the only two Toyota teams (Red Bull's #83) worthy of positive note with Dave Blaney proving just how underrated a driver he is, and well Michael Waltrip's #55 has been scoring some good notes when he qualifies.

He'll likely be Jeremy Mayfield's replacement (the #36). But right now, I dont think it'll last. Toyota's struggling MASSIVELY, and I can pretty much guarantee Villeneuve wont be happy with that. And Mayfield's #36 is a piece of crap. I mean sure, it's better then Furniture Row's #78 and Front Row's #34 and #37. But BDR #36 is still not that high up, Mayfield can barely qualify for the races. I dont think he'll replace Blaney. Blaney's just had terrible luck (and some minor poor judgment)
#2 - th84
I'd take Kenny Wallace in the #78 over Mayfield in a Toyota anyday! When exactly did Michael Waltrip score some good notes? About the only thing he's got going for him is his funny commericals. :P

I don't think Villeneuve will last that long with Toyota. It will be a few years before Toyota will even be close enough to be a contender and he will be looking for a new team..... unless the rumors are true and JGR switches to Toyota next year (I would be suprised if this happened).
i didnt read, cuz its a lot, but what i saw Villeneuve to NASCAR?
#4 - J.B.
Montoya, Speed(?), Villeneuve, Allmendinger. Is something happening in NASCAR? They should increase the number of races on real race tracks to cater to the new fans that JPM and JV bring in.

Although I could understand reluctance to make any major changes. Wasn't one of the main reasons for Indycar's dimise in the '90's that the public lost interest when the foreigners were beating the natives too often?
Ummm Speed? Where did he come from? I've heard nothing (not even rumors) about him going to NASCAR.

As for racing on "real tracks". Going to NASCAR means that you'll be focusing on ovals. The "foreigners" know that and if they weren't interested in oval racing they wouldn't have even considered going to NASCAR.

Villeneuve is sick of road courses. He wants something different and his only choices is NASCAR, drag and WRC. I'd chose NASCAR over those two.

IRL died down mainly because of financial and advertisment failures. Seriously Americans can careless who would win, even if it is a foreigner. IRL's main problem is the lack of excitement and lack of sponsorships. IRL karts quality are way to different and therefore you wont get giant pack racing you'd normally get in NASCAR.

If someone's going to NASCAR, then they'd know what they are getting into. Many people join NASCAR just to drive ovals. I mean if NASCAR was dominated by road courses what would make NASCAR any different then say Le Mans or Grand-Am.

The international interest is purely because of good marketing and good luck on NASCAR's part. IRL had one of the crappiest marketing ever. I mean seriously, it got to a point where no one cared about IRL. The foreign drivers are also mature enough to admit that oval racing produce one of the greatest competition in motorsport history. While it does take a lot less skill to race on. The competition is much greater then a road course. Villeneuve obviously wants a piece of the paint sharing 3 wide 20 cars within 1 second action
#6 - richy
Wrc > Nascar
Quote from richy :Wrc > Nascar

I dont think rally would be something that'll appeal to a former F1 star like Villeneuve. He'll want competition from OTHER cars instead of racing against the clock
#8 - J.B.
Quote from lizardfolk :Ummm Speed? Where did he come from? I've heard nothing (not even rumors) about him going to NASCAR.

Apparently Red Bull wants him there. Google it.

Quote from lizardfolk :
As for racing on "real tracks". Going to NASCAR means that you'll be focusing on ovals. The "foreigners" know that and if they weren't interested in oval racing they wouldn't have even considered going to NASCAR.

I was talking more from a fan point of view. JPM has brought a lot of people to watch NASCAR who wouldn't have without him being there. Of these people I'm sure most would be happy to see a higher percentage of real tracks. After all NASCAR are exactly what many people want from racing: low downforce, low grip, high power which leads to pretty good road races.

Quote from lizardfolk :
IRL died down mainly because of financial and advertisment failures.

Could lack of public interest have been a reason for these problems?

Quote from lizardfolk :
Seriously Americans can careless who would win

Err, isn't that the problem? They were interested when Al Unser Jr and Michael Andretti were doing the winning.

BTW, I'm talking about Indycars, not IRL. IRL was DOA.
#9 - DeKo
Quote from J.B. :Apparently Red Bull wants him there. Google it.

I will

Quote from J.B. :I was talking more from a fan point of view. JPM has brought a lot of people to watch NASCAR who wouldn't have without him being there. Of these people I'm sure most would be happy to see a higher percentage of real tracks. After all NASCAR are exactly what many people want from racing: low downforce, low grip, high power which leads to pretty good road races.

There are many other stock car series that race only on road courses. However, NASCAR's main concern is and always will be oval. Just like IRL

Quote from J.B :Could lack of public interest have been a reason for these problems?

That's the direct result

Quote from J.B. :Err, isn't that the problem? They were interested when Al Unser Jr and Michael Andretti were doing the winning.

Partially true, he was voted most popular driver, but that doesn't really mean anything

Quote from J.B. :BTW, I'm talking about Indycars, not IRL. IRL was DOA.

Same thing
Even if WRC used shopping trolleys pushed by native chavs it would be better than NASCAR.
Quote from richy :Even if WRC used shopping trolleys pushed by native chavs it would be better than NASCAR.

Wow you just proved my "F1" statement

Quote from lizardfolk :When it comes down to it, it is European's attitude toward the American continent countries. I mean let's not kid ourselves Europeans think America is the land of retards. I mean Europe, a place of great culture, food, art and racing, and an average American who visits is known for remarking "wow this place sucks there's no McDonald's." Is this stereotyping? YOU BET.

Therefore, Europeans usually have no respect for ANYTHING American. They let their superiority complex get in the way of sound judgment. Therefore, ovals has become a victim of that. I mean seriously, ovals require great skill. The track is so wide that you need to BE ABSOLUTELY PERFECT in racing your line and drafting or else u'll go from first to worse. But a European would look at it with their bias and say "WOW Americans are retarded, they go in circles to have fun." Little do they know that with a little analysis and open mindedness that ovals are a lot more then just "going in circles". Therefore by remarking such a ignorant comment, they themselves are being the ignorant idiots that they so detest in America

No I really would rather watch shopping trolleys race.
Quote from lizardfolk :Wow you just proved my "F1" statement

Do not generalize, you just make yourself look like a fool doing that because fighting stereotypes with stereotypes doesn't really work does it.

I guess Villeneuve is up to Nascar because other series don't offer that much financial opportunities and he doesn't have to travel around the world all the time. It's the DTM of NA, the place the old F1 drivers go.
#15 - J.B.
Quote from lizardfolk :
Same thing

Huh? Indycar was a series of half track half oval racing with multiple chassis and engine manufacturers and a field of world class international drivers. It was a series that produced future F1 champs and where F1 champs went after their F1 career. It was also commercially very successful, even challenging Nascar and F1 in the early to mid nineties.

IRL is an oval only (until recently) spec racing series with ugly cars, unknown drivers and no spectators.

How can you say they are the same thing? Again: Indycar was extremely popular at a time when there were Americans fighting for wins. Later when there were mostly Europeans and South Americans the interest dropped.

Now I don't know if the lack of competitive American drivers was a major factor in Indycars downfall but you haven't said anything to convince me it wasn't.
Quote from richy :I'm an idiot...

Stop your meaningless posts please, they really do nothing to contribute to this conversation.

NASCAR's races have the most competition in today's world.

Beating 42 other individuals with the same machinery is what these guys are out to do. Think about it, racers by nature are very competitive, some are ego maniacs. If you believe you are the best racer in the world, NASCAR is a suitable environment to prove it.
Quote from srdsprinter :Continue your truthful and obviously true posts please, they really do so much to contribute to this conversation.

NASCAR's races have the worst competition in today's world.

Wrecking 42 other individuals with the same machinery is what these guys are out to do. Think about it, wreckers by nature are very competitive, some are ego maniacs. If you believe you are the best wrecker in the world, NASCAR is a suitable environment to prove it.

I agree.
That's cute; however, you've yet to put together a logical argument, let alone a decent post.
You get plenty of logical reasons why but youve your head in the sand.
#20 - th84
Richy will be Richy.

I havent seen a logical reason from you yet. If you dont like it, then dont watch it... pretty simple, even for you.
Quote from th84 :Richy will be Richy.

I havent seen a logical reason from you yet. If you dont like it, then dont watch it... pretty simple, even for you.

Yep
Quote from J.B. :Huh? Indycar was a series of half track half oval racing with multiple chassis and engine manufacturers and a field of world class international drivers. It was a series that produced future F1 champs and where F1 champs went after their F1 career. It was also commercially very successful, even challenging Nascar and F1 in the early to mid nineties.

IRL is an oval only (until recently) spec racing series with ugly cars, unknown drivers and no spectators.

How can you say they are the same thing? Again: Indycar was extremely popular at a time when there were Americans fighting for wins. Later when there were mostly Europeans and South Americans the interest dropped.

Now I don't know if the lack of competitive American drivers was a major factor in Indycars downfall but you haven't said anything to convince me it wasn't.

Sorry sorry I got it mixed up. I was thinking about the IndyCar Series, but you're talking about the IndyCar World Series. Just say champcar next time

You do not know how IRONIC, that Speed is getting offer from RED BULL in NASCAR. OMG If he accepts, then I'll laugh so hard LOL.

BTW any idea who they are getting rid off? I kinda want Allmendinger to stay in NASCAR
Quote from th84 :I'd take Kenny Wallace in the #78 over Mayfield in a Toyota anyday! When exactly did Michael Waltrip score some good notes? About the only thing he's got going for him is his funny commericals. :P

A top 10, a 25th and a 23rd. not bad
Hello ! Racers !! :spanakinp

first of all ! i wanna say Bonne Chance !! to Jacques Villeneuve .
Also this year is the 25th anniversary of the tragic death of Gilles Villeneuve !!! on may 8 1982 .
that day , Canada lost the best F1Driver ever !!!! but on the same day , not to far from the F1 track now known as
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
a little boy was born and was bound to aged with the Villeneuve heritage in its track .

This year for my 25th annivesary i went to the F1race track at midnight, i stoped after a couple of laps at the Start Finish Line , where it's writen :
SALUT GILLES !!
all my blessings to the Villeneuve Family !!

That being said !!

Quote from Blackout :
I guess Villeneuve is up to Nascar because other series don't offer that much financial opportunities and he doesn't have to travel around the world all the time. It's the DTM of NA, the place the old F1 drivers go.

Yup , thats right ,!!
Hes there yes' for the money, also no other series offer a 2h30 to 3h00 race every weekend and always be close to home .
with a conventionnal car without open wheel for security (new daddy ) ,these are mostly why hes going Nascar !!

but its not every F1 driver that can go NASCAR, Only those with pure driving instinct can realy make the jump.( i am not saying that F1 drivers arent good ,but i am not saying either that american drivers are the best , but they are born , and raised with nascar so , they put up with it , but real gutless but wise drivers are pretty rare !

DTM ' Super GT , same fender rubbin action or so !! , Theres something about racing in the PACK , i dont know . Only drivers like Montoya who struggled in F1 cause of electronics driving against him !or samething as Villeneuve he cant stand being told by engineers how he should drive the car , "
these guys can drive without Front and back wings , the way they did in the 70's

For the Champcar drivers its not the same they are used to overpowered no powersteering , no abs turbo monstrer machines , but without theire push to pash button , they often makes errors in the pack like going middle at daytona thinking i can pass the Bast.....

AND last reason why Jacques is going Nascar ??? The TAILGATING parties after the race .
Quote from Nicocrank :Hello ! Racers !!

Nice first post, wellcome to lfs!

I think we are going to see more and more of this, can only be good for nascar.

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG