The online racing simulator
Another server crasher?
(57 posts, started )
there is no error message or anything like that on my servers either.

The insim is running, with no errors (only a insim disconnection).

The LFS.exe totally crashes out..
Quote from Jakg :Any users connect or do anything before they crashed? If not, or if you have no proof then please do NOT post it here incase we start this whole "z0mg t3h server haxx0r!" witch hunt

*awaits "She's A Witch!" Monty Python Quote*

got proof now
there is indeed a crasher
he closed my 3 dedicated servers just 10 minutes ago. He threatened to do this first too.
If you could PM me the username (and probably contact the devs), it would be much appreciated, so I can ban the user from our servers.

Thanks

Brad
Curious: if the server crashes, cant you log it, and see who the last person is or who was in all of your servers?
idea
got an idea to slow this ponce down a tad. ive relaunched my servers on different random ports rather than 63392 +63393 etc. Im staying within the required range of course. i will let you know if they get shut so quick this time.
im new
i only started my dedicated server project yesterday so i am unfamiliar with the logging procedures. however the servers were in perfect running order until this guy came in and threatened to close them. then he did it.
I dont know WHO it is, but I know WHAT It is.
well
I Need to know how to defend against this attack. Tell me what you know please.
take that link down. now please.
+1 please remove link...and think/read it through next time before posting such content.

Edit: oo sam's quick on the case ..
#37 - troy
you should probably change the quote also a tad, like that you just google for it and bang your on the site but once its out there you cant hide it anymore so why do it in the first place. only thing that could solve this is a quick server bugfix, at least thats what i think. that proof of concept tool there (or however you want to call it) is already enough to spread chaos in demo/S2 and fixing it with patch Y will be to late in my opinion. as i said; on the internet you cant really hide anything, once its out it will be found and used
hmmm
i would like to know why only certain servers are picked on, why dont they just shut each server down in the list 1 by 1, seems they cant, so we need to know whats different about the other servers.
grrrr
LFS are dragging there feet about this and should fix it immediately. the game is being payed for by people so that justifies that comment. Im glad i have not got a licence yet. I will come back to lfs when they fix these stupid noob bugs. Until then my friends, im going back to flight simulator.
some servers full or empty? all depends on what this guy/gal sees, ie what hes/shes filtering when he/she looks at master server list.
i cant beleive such a noob bug exists still on a game that has been around for so long. One begins to wonder if the bug was purpose built. ive just read up on how they do it. with null bytes and all this horseshit I WANNA DRIVE ON MY SERVER without some twat no doubt jealous of my fabulous unlimited broadband switching off my server. Its just absolutely intollerable.
I know who did it, if I could remember his name. A week ago someguy was complaining about the barriers, he then got mad saying he was going to crash the servers... Me and him were the only ones in Server 2. He was getting angry, I told him to "Calm Down". He refrets to calm down. That just makes him way more angry.

P.S. Maybe 2 weeks ago. I don't remember when but he said he would, crash it.
The only reason why the server crashes when they use this method, is because the LFS Dedi Server does not EXPECT this to happen.

If something happens, that is not expected - even humans halt and get confused. When a program halts and gets confused, it crashes.

The dev's know about it, I'm sure they are working on a fix. I think the fix will also require a client update - hense why they can't just release a quick fix - like the previous host fix (x10).

Just sit back and bare with it. A few server starts a days is NOTHING compared to the awesome hard work that the devs do for US.

Thank you devs!
#44 - Jakg
Quote from m4ccy :i cant beleive such a noob bug exists still on a game that has been around for so long. One begins to wonder if the bug was purpose built. ive just read up on how they do it. with null bytes and all this horseshit I WANNA DRIVE ON MY SERVER without some twat no doubt jealous of my fabulous unlimited broadband switching off my server. Its just absolutely intollerable.

who says they aren't working on it right now? I mean it's been less than a few HOURS since your last post so they HAVE to have posted it by now...
Wow, woke up this morning before work and LTC servers were down. Brought them back online when I got to work.

An HOUR later, they are down again.

--

I'm pretty sure the person(s) that are taking the servers down are going to be reading this thread laughing his/her little ass off.

I have something to say to you, so here goes.

I remember the days when I was like you to. Using my programming skills for the wrong way. Yeah its a good laugh to see the connection list to drop. I used to do it with a few older games. Then I grew the **** up! 5years ago I stopped doing that and started to create mods/games.

I can bet you £100 GBP if you started to actually contribute to a community rather than trying to bring it down - you will get a lot more out of it. Personally, I love to hear people say "love this krammeh" and "omg, this rocks who made it?".

I really think that you need to get out of the immaturity that you're currently going through. I'm sure that you know that your skills are high and quite needed around the world of online gaming.

There are lots of ways to contribute to a community - hacking them down to the ground is not the way to do it.

LTC's servers have been down twice today, although it does not take me very long to actually start the servers up, and the fact that I am online most of the time as I work on the computers. The only issue is that it makes many people very unhappy.

I have noticed which servers you are "targeting", and its all of the popular servers. I'm guessing that you are not getting what you want from LFS or something. Maybe you should stop treating the game community like absolute shite and actually try and put something back into the game. If you put something into the game rather than attempting to rip the community to shreds.

As I am sure that you can tell from what the rest of the community is saying - We don't care how long it takes before the devs bring out a patch to stop your shitty little exploit abusing program, we'll still be here waiting to live in harmony again.

I have my suspicion as to who it is, and if it is that person then I guess this is just another thing to be added to your offenses onto your LFS tab. I wish there was a "human-ident" within the world of the internet. Then we could properly ban a "person".

That is all that I have to say to you.

Oh, and by the way - i have a nice little program in development which will first of all automatically reload the server if/when they crash/drop out. Also, it will channel all in/out network transfer to each server, and I will filter out the hack that you have made. Silly you documented exactly how you done it, so I will be writing a nice little application that stops this issue, and I will release it to the whole LFS community!
guh
I must apologise for my previous outburst, however this is very very very frustrating for me. and i am the kind of guy who injures people for causing me frustration. This is a known fact. This is me. you can like it or lump it. Fact is i have not paid for the game yet, but nearly did last week, im glad i did not pay now cos i would be even more vexed if some person was cutting my servers after paying. Anyway i appreciate that the developers are working on this matter. Obviously it does not help when people throw in attitude. I just want people to know this is doing my head in. It has gone far enough, in just the 2 days that i know of.
Im new to LFS i enjoy it lots and think it is a great achievement. I would still like to know if the offender is able to do this to any server, or just dedicated.

Also is it possible for LFS to log connecting ips? yes or no. dont need you to tell me how i will figure that out. just need a yes or no answer.

The worst of all this for me is that i am a professional server host when it comes to other games and also voice communication servers. I also do a little programming and know so much about computers. And for the first time in years i cannot defend against an exploit being used by people on my servers. I pride myself in being able to host dedicated reliable servers of all kinds for people all over the globe. Im sure now you may better understand my particular level of anguish, however I can be a patient man.
LFS Developers when i think of what you have acheived so far i cannot say anything bad towards this game even in demo mode. Keep up the good work. And if any1 discovers a temp solution to our mutual problem, dont hesitate to drop me a line. :-)
Ah ha, that makes for some interesting reading ...

And here was me thinking I had some gay stability problem with my own servers (SillyProject) ...

Over the past week, especially this weekend, I've come find at least half of my LFS servers closed.
This happends at least twice a day, the LFS servers are just not running on the server any more.
All I have to do is click on the shortcut to restart them again, but it's still a huge pain in the ass.
I've looked in the deb.log files and there's nothing suspicious in there ...

Has anybody got any suggestions as to what to do about it?
In fact as I was typing my last post, my two S2 servers went down, 10 minutes after I'd restarted them ...
The other S2 server that's password protected is still running though.
Here is what's in the deb.log file of one of the crashed ones ...

LFS DEDICATED HOST : 0.5X10
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
load bans
load font
create english file
kb : Latin 1
initialisations
tables
default light map
load objects
start intro
Fern Bay
Warning : Another instance of LFS is running
end of initialisation
Track loaded
InSim - TCP : LFSLapper
This server is running the LFSLapper mod !
Type !help after leaving the garage to see the commands l

As you can see, nothing at all ...
There is nothing we can do, its not our fault.

The servers need a patch, nout else we can do!
Quote from m4ccy :Also is it possible for LFS to log connecting ips? yes or no. dont need you to tell me how i will figure that out. just need a yes or no answer.

LFS can't. Your firewall can (or should at least beable to, if you're using a half decent one.. surely as a professional server host you know this though - sorry, friendly ribbing, couldn't help it). All you need to do is put logging on your firewall, note what ips have been transfering data at the time of the crash, and then compare them with subsequent crashes. You will then have your magic IP(s). Of course if they're on a dynamic, then you're screwed.

Another server crasher?
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG