The online racing simulator
Forum improvement
(14 posts, started )
Forum improvement
Basically, mass PM'ing for LEAGUE ADMINS only.

The current system is a pain in the rear for sending out 40+ pm's for league info/passwords.

Surely there must be a way to make it easier for league admins to send out event info in a mass PM?
#2 - Lible
That may be a bit hard, but what about League owners can make a new category in their League-category, and then be able to limit the access to only league racers?
Either of the above would be nice!
5 pm's at a go is a right pain!
Why is it limited anyway? If some abuses it just ban them...
It shouldn't be limited for S2 racers.
#4 - Ian.H
Although obviously more work, but especially as leagues seem to be taking off more and more recently, maybe a separate few pages could be added to LFSWorld much like the team pages. 1 person registers as a "league owner" as such and can then edit a list of driver names within the league, again much like for the teams.. of which the league owner could then have the ability to either mass-mail all members signed up under the league or feed the message into the DB for the forum to read as PMs.

Any abuse by the league owner for spam (the reason for PMs being limited) could be pretty easily controlled on the server by Vic.. but I'd say this would be pretty minimal as it could also be restricted easily to licensed users only being able to register a league so accounts could easily be acted upon _if_ the need arose.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from danowat :Basically, mass PM'ing for LEAGUE ADMINS only.

The current system is a pain in the rear for sending out 40+ pm's for league info/passwords.

Surely there must be a way to make it easier for league admins to send out event info in a mass PM?

Remember that these forums are supposed to be the official forums of the sim, not you're league. If you want to be able to use mass PM's or email, go get a free forum that allows mass PM's. You also have a lot more creative control over what is posted on your forums.

Quote from Ian.H :Although obviously more work, but especially as leagues seem to be taking off more and more recently, maybe a separate few pages could be added to LFSWorld much like the team pages. 1 person registers as a "league owner" as such and can then edit a list of driver names within the league, again much like for the teams.. of which the league owner could then have the ability to either mass-mail all members signed up under the league or feed the message into the DB for the forum to read as PMs.

Any abuse by the league owner for spam (the reason for PMs being limited) could be pretty easily controlled on the server by Vic.. but I'd say this would be pretty minimal as it could also be restricted easily to licensed users only being able to register a league so accounts could easily be acted upon _if_ the need arose.

I do like the idea about registering leagues and league admins, but there needs to be some serious prerequisites to that too, or you'll have 100 people register a league and admins, only to have 50% of those leagues fail before getting started, and 40% more fail before the league finishes even 1 season.

I would like to see those requesting to register a league prove that they had at least one successful (the definition of which can be debated, of course) season, complete with evidence of results/standings and a league admin with at least some previous league experience and more than 500 completed races. Yes, I know that would require some human maintenance in the "proof of experience" department, so it's just a dream, I guess.

I don't think LFS World is the place to do it, but wherever it's done, it needs to have an LFS World connection.
Why not just ask for everyone's email address then send out the email to yourself every fortnight and BCC everyone else in?

Worked for me when I organised the last LFS UK meet.
Quote from Bob Smith :Why not just ask for everyone's email address then send out the email to yourself every fortnight and BCC everyone else in?

Because i think its just easier to work with usernames. Then if someone says they are sitting an event out you know what their username is and you dont have to include it. I know it's not a biggy, but things like that just help
#8 - ajp71
We used to use Yahoo groups to send out mass e-mails in the GPL and N2003 leagues I raced in, a bit crude but gets the job done quickly.
Quote from Bob Smith :Why not just ask for everyone's email address then send out the email to yourself every fortnight and BCC everyone else in?

Because pretty much everyone checks their forum PM more than there email, and people don't tend to like giving out email addresses
The more I think about it, the more I think that LFS would benifit hugely from something along the lines of Race2Play, would make league admins lives a lot easier.........
Quote from danowat :Because pretty much everyone checks their forum PM more than there email

No wonder you have over 3000 posts!
#12 - Jakg
To be fair, the forum emails you when you get a PM (Well it does here) and i have the PM popup enabled, so your more likely to get my attention via PM'ing me than eMailing me.

But then tbh i am a forum whore!
I have turned off the PM e-mail and pop-up notifications and frequently go for days without realising I have a pile of PMs stacking up, whereas my e-mails get shown on my google homepage so I see them everytime I open my internet browser.
Btw. Does anyone use the lfsworld messaging system?
---
Most of the league related stuff is posted here or on some specific interweb site and going back and forth between lfsworld and lfsforum would just create more problems than solve...so lfsworld wouldn't be the place to put any league related info... Registering on 3rd party forums is always a small pita too...

I can hardly see any problems with Danowat's idea... Maybe allowe league owners to create and manage groups who to send private messages and manage peoples' "league participation". Integrated with race calendar you could use the groups to organize whole events/leagues on lfsforum... kinda like providing the messaging service (PMs), time managing tools (calendar) and participation lists (calendar).

Forum improvement
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG