The online racing simulator
I Need Server Help, Very Confused.
Ok I know this is probably a repost but I need the help and have done HOURS of research and still at point A. I've followed the Server Guide posted herehttp://http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=9572 but I'm totally lost. I went to the main site and downloaded Lfs S2 Alpha x10 Dedicated Host zip. I extracted the files on the Dedicated Computer which will run the host/server. Now I access my router and open the ports that need to be opened, more less following the steps on the thread posted up top. Now where it's stated "Configure host by editing setup.cfg / creating a new cfg file." I'm not excatly sure how to do it but I duble click the setup.cfg, and Microsoft Word opens the file and I see the content, I'll edit the exhisting file such as host name and other little things, When I'm done I'll go to File/Save As/All LFS Content. While I'm in the Save As menu the file name is SETUP, and the Save as Type is plain text, I 'm not sure what to put there but I click to see what else I can save it as and theres a bunch of different file types. What file type would I save it as? I'm this far so I cant add anything else until I pass this step.

Thanks-Mike
#2 - Bean0
I would right click the setup.cfg file and choose to open it in notepad.
When you are done, just hit the save icon in the toolbar.

The filetype is .cfg, so saving it as a .doc or somesuch will not help.
Quote from Bean0 :I would right click the setup.cfg file and choose to open it in notepad.
When you are done, just hit the save icon in the toolbar.

The filetype is .cfg, so saving it as a .doc or somesuch will not help.

I tried that and it dosent give me the option to save as a .cfg file type.

This is stressing me out, I cant find the info/help
#4 - Jakg
Just go File>Save As>"All Files" and add .cfg on the end
Quote from Jakg :Just go File>Save As>"All Files" and add .cfg on the end

Ok I'll try that out
Quote from Jakg :Just go File>Save As>"All Files" and add .cfg on the end

Ok so that has solved one problem, now that I understand how to save the file I think I've reached a new problem how ever it can be my lack of skill though.

So I run the LFS.exe that came in the dedicated host folder and this is what happens. The first pic is after starting up the dedicated host, the second pic is what happens next. This is where I think I'm stuck, I went on my other Computer to find the server and it's not there. I also posted my setup.cfg it's just a test so nothing is going to stay the same.
Attached images
Almost done.JPG
Problem.JPG
Attached files
setup.txt - 1.7 KB - 140 views
#7 - Lible
The start command is unecessary (check the docs/command.txt), in case you want to restart the race, write /restart and a session/race can only be active when someone is in the server.
#8 - Venus
The easiest way to run a server is to just download a copy of Dedigui, and use that. Its simply run it, click on the options you want, type in server name pswds etc n click start n ur away.

Put dedigui in google.

Quote from SilverArrows77 :Looking at your screenshots, it appears you have the server running fine - i would say its router/firewall that isnt configured properly if you cant find your server in the host list - make sure you have enabled port range forwarding for it in the router and also check that your firewall in windows isnt blocking it

Another thing i did notice was that in your setup it has

/maxguests=4
/carsmax=5

which would mean you have more grid spots available then people that can actually join - not that this would stop server working , just happened to notice it - because is a dedi host, u may as well set

/carshost=0 and then set maxguests and carsmax to an equal value

Quote from Venus :The easiest way to run a server is to just download a copy of Dedigui, and use that. Its simply run it, click on the options you want, type in server name pswds etc n click start n ur away.

Put dedigui in google.

Thanks, I'll look into this
Ok so I got the server up and running but for some reason there is the XFG and XRT, in my setup file i have the cars allowed XRT. but in game play you can get the XFG as well. Whats the deal??
Quote from SilverArrows77 :well you can always fix this ingame but typing /cars=XRT

why its doing this im not sure - check the line in the setup.cfg is definitely /cars=XRT, also if you have other admin for the server maybe they have enabled it in game without you knowing all they would have to do for this to happen is type /cars=XFG+XRT ingame

Ok so like I said my server was on the master server and I closed it because the car thing right, well now I cant get it back up and running, it says online but I'll check it from my other PC and the server name dosent come up on the Master server...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG