The online racing simulator
Why have i only just found this sim
Hi Guys Wow what a briliant sim I just bought a G25 and found this the same day. Im in heaven. But as i understand it the sim has been around a few years and i dont understand why i wouldnt have found it before hand. Never mind so glad i did now i just have to get as fast as the rest of you on it

Ive played Gp ledgends and other papyrus games but this is far better keep it up.
Welcome along - good to hear you found LFS.

Get out on the track and drive....
Nice to see another Brit joining the fold, especially as you can actually spell

Welcome, take a seat but not one of the well worn ones they are the ones we have got comfortable in over the past years
#4 - richy
I discovered LFS by randomly watching motorsports on youtube.
#5 - dadge
i found lfs in a magazine. when i wasn't online i used to get my demos from a mag called 101 game demos (i know they went all out on the name lol) and S1 was on it. my old pc used to run it fine on my own. then when i got online i also upgraded and hey presto, i've never looked back.
most played games for me are LFS, OFP (operation flashpoint), pro evo series. tiger woods series and now Armed assault.
Quote : Ive played GP Ledgends...

Quote from Greboth :Nice to see another Brit joining the fold, especially as you can actually spell

.....welcome aboard
Welcome to live for speed mate, be sure to say goodbye to your social life, you wont be seing alot of that no more...j/k

I came across LFS by google, i was looking for a good sim which would provide me with some entertainment, so i typed into google, Car Simulators (rFactor was one ) and down the list was www.liveforspeed.net. Downloaded the demo, bought S2, bought a G25, upgraded PC, never looked back.
I was searching videos on YouTube and came accross a LFS video. Typed it into google, downloaded. Upgraded PC just to play this game, but G25 just for this game and I plan on upgrading again
Quote from al heeley :.....welcome aboard

He said one the can actually spell, not one that can actually punctuate correctly .

I'm not a fan of consoles in general or Grand Turismo specifically, but I'll say Grand Turismo is the one that brought LFS to my attention. I was playing GT3 at my brother-in-law's place and, yes it looked good (on a 42 inch Plasma), but the physics were indeed, horrible. But it got me thinking to look for something on the PC with road cars. Saw LFS S1 on Blackhole Motorsports in my searching and saw all road cars. Downloaded and tried it out. I wasn't like "Oh, wow" about S1, but shortly after, they released S2 in demo form with damage, tire heat and wear, etc. Then I was like "Oh, WOW! WOW! Holy crap! I gotta buy! Wow! Geesh! Awesome!" Thus, I bought the license as soon as S2 was released fully.
i would love to see the devs bank statements 24hours after the launch of s2 lol.
Quote from mrodgers :He said one the can actually spell, not one that can actually punctuate correctly .

So how do you spell LEGENDS in the US?
Quote from al heeley :So how do you spell LEGENDS in the US?

Er... L e d g e n d s, yeah, that's it....

Yup, can't read myself, I guess. I only noticed the "Ive" rather than "I've"....
I came accross it in google vid too... looking for vids of sim racing... n found the STCC series vids... soon as i watched that, I put lfs into google n downloaded it immediately Never regretted it since

Ven
Quote from dadge :i found lfs in a magazine. when i wasn't online i used to get my demos from a mag called 101 game demos (i know they went all out on the name lol) and S1 was on it. my old pc used to run it fine on my own. then when i got online i also upgraded and hey presto, i've never looked back.
most played games for me are LFS, OFP (operation flashpoint), pro evo series. tiger woods series and now Armed assault.

Pro Evolution Soccer :O I am Estonian modder. I have HD kits and about 5 gb stuff for this game. PES 2008 is soon so good.

And Welcome Fastkarter.
Someone mentioned LFS in late 2002 at the RSC GPL forums... I spent the first couple of days just admiring the suspension movement in slow-mo replays
I bought TOCA RD3 about 6 months ago and a DFP to play it with, and vaguely rememebered playing the demo of S1 years ago, so downloaded the latest version. In those past months I haven't touched TOCA..
hmmm, I've bought Toca Race Driver 3 after trying LFS about 2 years ago. I didn't like it back then so I drove on Toca. A few months ago I bought Race: WTCC and enjoyed it for about a month until someone said something about LFS in a multiplayer game. I bashed it and sayed it sucked, he said "Have you tried it recently".

I had to admit, I hadn't. So I downloaded the demo again and remember that poor GUI look, but once I got past the face of the game, I started to enjoy the demo racing. So I played the demo online for about 3-6 months and finally (with my wife nagging me the whole time) bought S2 and haven't touched another game since (that was around a month ago, so not really a long time to compare with).

But even still. I love it, best $52 I ever spent on a game!
Quote from gabereiser :But even still. I love it, best $52 I ever spent on a game!

You paid $52? Currently (well, a few days ago), the exchange rate was $48 for LFS. Is the dollar gaining in strength!!!???!!! [/sarcasm]
Quote from mrodgers :You paid $52? Currently (well, a few days ago), the exchange rate was $48 for LFS. Is the dollar gaining in strength!!!???!!! [/sarcasm]

I work for a Foreign Exchange Broker, so I watch all the currencies shift on a daily basis. Yes, the US dollar has gained ground against the GBP. But last I checked (today at 9am EST) the GBP was making a comeback at the current exchange rate of 1.9994. (1 GBP = 1.9994 USD)

But even still, it was a great investment!
A few years ago I bought TOCA2 and spent ages playing it online and met loads of cool people. I complained I didn't find it hugely realistic, although it was fun, and someone suggested I try Live for Speed, so I downloaded the demo. Within a few hours I'd bought a license, three years later I'm still here and I'm still not bored.
yes us brits are coming, i actually foudn LIVE FOR SPEED on AOL ! beleive it or not lol, signed in and pop up under download games step dad showed us and i was like wow how realistic and that was back in 2003! soon forgot about the game then came across it again this yea played demo for1 month n then brought S2 in june been playing eva since!
Quote from Fastkarter :Hi Guys Wow what a briliant sim I just bought a G25 and found this the same day. Im in heaven. But as i understand it the sim has been around a few years and i dont understand why i wouldnt have found it before hand. Never mind so glad i did now i just have to get as fast as the rest of you on it

Ive played Gp ledgends and other papyrus games but this is far better keep it up.

Welcome.

LFS is still in development, it has not been marketed the way finished games are beeing marketed.
Perhaps you havent stumbled across it because of that, in the Sim Racing community it is the most popular Online Simulation, even though the Program is still in "Alpha" stage and it has not beeing advertised.

... and btw it is kinda unfair to compare a Sim from 1998 to one that isnt even finished in 2007
#24 - col
I downloaded the LFS demo because it was being discussed on rec.autos.simulators, and I wanted to see what the fuss was about....
That was in 2002.

I guess some folks are just slow to catch on

(if you go to google groups and search rec.autos.simulators for "live for speed", some of the early discussion is interesting - comparisons with GPL and Racing Legends (lol). Hehe, some of the 'topics' were already starting up that still continue today - and haven't moved on much either )
I read an articel in a Gamemag where readers could test GTLegende before it was released. All of them hat problems keeping the car on track except one guy. When asked he told: "Well, I play Live for Speed online everyday". That made me curious.
So 2 years and 231936 Km later here I am.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG