The online racing simulator
Quote from Don :a little test we did with a mate at local cemetery:
http://timelapse.vn.cz/pacman_cemetery.avi

haha! That's excellent! I wouldn't have the patience to do that, and even if I had I'd get something fundamentally wrong with the logic of it!
Quote from (SaM) :Got a new DSLR, decided to give it a go outside and snap some pics.

Cool stuff! You clearly have an eye for composition and abstract photography! Which DSLR did you go for?
Canon EOS 450D + Cambag + 16SD Card + 3.0inch screencover + standard 55m lens ordered

@Spangler CZ: Naise!!!
#854 - Don
Quote from SamH :Cool stuff! You clearly have an eye for composition and abstract photography! Which DSLR did you go for?

Thanks mate! Got a Nikon D40 with a Nikkor 18-200mm VR and an SB-400 flash. These D40s are selling for such low prices today, it's crazy. What you get in return is a fully functioning SLR without compromises. It gives you all the controls you need to make beautiful photos. Who needs more than that?

Quote from Don :some dirt bikes again, shame there wasnt more mud
http://don.vn.cz/photos/crosscountry_staric08/

Wow! I love your attention to detail. You have mastered the art of timing, a key factor that makes a difference between a cool shot and a breathtaking capture of a moment.
Best example... the shot where the rider leans forward, ready to plunge down a slope. It put a huge smile on my face because I know exactly how it feels.

I've made some more shots that day:

Shot just before midnight, with orange streetlights and external flash. Slight tweaking of WB and temperature to bring colors back. I was incredibly surprised how the photo looked, because I couldn't see any color nor detail with my bare eyes at the scene.

I like how this flash can bring out the natural colors of this tree without washing it out.

Medium-slow shutter speed, shot from hand. Gotta love VR!
Attached images
DSC_0121-2.jpg
DSC_0102-2.jpg
DSC_0007-2.jpg
Quote from (SaM) :Medium-slow shutter speed, shot from hand. Gotta love VR!

I gotta get me some of that VR! I was looking at the 18-200 and just assumed that it was way to broad a focal range and too much of an all-purpose lens to actually be worth having. What are the RAW files like, quality-wise? I could halve the weight of my camera bag with a lens like that, if it's up to the standard, plus the benefits of not swapping lenses constantly (which I do, all the time) are very attractive.
It's actually quite a surprise when you expect Nikkor to have made sacrifices in order to produce a lens with such a broad range. The lens is a god's gift.

It's been incredibly popular since it came out a couple of years back and I've personally experienced why that is. It's a lens that will pretty much cover 75-95% of your lens needs in photography, depending on what you need, in one compact package. (Yes, at 18mm it's hardly larger than the 18-55 VR lens.)

The focal range is quite extreme. I know there's larger ranges on teles, but those start at a much higher focal depth (70mm, 200mm, 400mm), you can't use those for close-ups like this one.
It won't do extreme zooming with 200mm (300mm equivalent on 35mm) and it won't do extreme close-ups, but honestly, who needs that on a daily basis? You only would if you want to go beyond the extremes of this lens.
Pretty much any shot you have in mind, is possible with this lens. The closest it can focus is about 45cm, which is quite an accomplishment for a lens with such a long range.

The sharpness in full focus is amazing on my D40.

It has a decent bokeh, not the best but far from the worst.

There's some minor distortion throughout the focal range going on, but if needed, we all know how to fix that.

VR is very helpful. As Nikon says, it allows us to shoot 4 stops slower than without VR and still get a solid shot. And I can testify to that.

I expected a whole lot more defects with this lens, but it's been a huge surprise to me. It's a lens the way a lens should be. It gives you the flexibility you need in order to realize your vision without limiting you with defects or short ranges making you swap it with another lens.

I can personally recommend it to anyone with a DX camera looking for the next step after the starters' lenses, or wanting to make their collection of lenses obsolete with one professional multi-purpose lens.

What camera you got, Sam 2?

To demonstrate, here's 2 pics of my street at 18mm and at 200mm from the same perspective:
(Yes, in the 18mm shot I can't even spot the cars you see on the 200mm shot! It's that much.)

Attached images
DSC_0001-2.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
That's pretty impressive! The lens is definitely on the limit of what I can afford but considering the range it covers it would probably amount to a saving long-term.

At the moment, I have a 24-50mm AF-S (which serves me fairly well), an ancient Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 (which I adore for its perfect bokeh) and a Nikkor 500mm mirror, which I'm not at all fond of and I'm gonna sell soon. I'm using an old D1x at the moment, which I'm really enjoying. It's a low-budget setup but I'm not good enough to justify the sacrifices I'd need to make, to go for the D3 right now.
Thx! Actually this was my first try in studio.
What lights do you use, Spangler? Flash with umbrella? Strobe with Umbrella?

If you're interested in studio shoots, you might wanna have a look at this guy's Youtube channel. He gives great tips and examples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH84-pA7p-c&fmt=18
It was a workshop, so Im not sure about the lights. There were three flashes with softbox and another couple of lighting thigs which I dont know (all of them made by Photon Europe) Anyway thanks for the url, will check it
Bubbles anyone?

And my blue eyed baby rabbit

and a baby reeves Turtle under his light
Any more pics of the rabbit?
Quote from Jakg :Any more pics of the rabbit?

yea i will upload some later
Aww, more of the bunny!
Happy Bonfire Night chaps. My first and probably last from tonight

Attached images
DSC_2645.jpg
Nice Sam!

I was going to bump this back up to the front page myself just a few minutes ago, but I don't have everything in the series uploaded yet.

Anyone like fish? I'll have some fish for you soon
I've just had a tuna pasta bake, so I guess the answer is.. yes, I love fish
#870 - Don
Rabbits are back, first is the rabbit that we had for a while you can see how big it is.

then last night my gf arrives home and said she found these kids playing with this rabbit who she asked whos it was it was found in the bushes where they were playing with it. so after a vet visit and so on and my wallet looking lighter again it was fine just scared badly....

anyway time we introduced it to the other baby

the baby was about this much interested

Quote from SamH :I've just had a tuna pasta bake, so I guess the answer is.. yes, I love fish

Some easy fishing for ya, Sam!

These are at the "Spillway" in Lionsville, PA. It is a huge attraction for families for the kids to toss bread down and feed the fish as they go into a frenzy.

I could faintly hear the theme to Jaws when I grabbed this shot...

And some other duck and geese shots.

I think this guy has some great colors.

Some gulls battling over some food. I think the water, white birds, and overcast skies really messed with my white balance and exposure on this one. This was all back when I was still quite a rookie with the camera as well.

It's nice to get away from all the political crap for a bit. Now off to check out Don's dogs.
Wooohooo I got a little surprise when i went in last night. I Was told By my Dad he has bought me a Canon eos 30D Camera body . So i have went ahead and bought 2 lenses a Sigma 70-300Mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Tele Zoom Lens and Canon 18-55 EF-S F3.5-5.6 Lens also bought a camera rucksak and cleaning kit should all be here next week and i cant w8 . All i have to do now is pay him back
The funny part about me and photography is, I really only started messing around with truely learning about photography since Christmas last year. But, I have always had an interest in snapping digital photos since about 2001 when I bought my first digicam. It was a Fuji 2650 2 mp that had no settings whatsoever. It was completely automatic with a 3x zoom.

Now, though I don't have a dSLR, I do shoot about 90% in full manual. I sometimes shoot in aperture priority mode. Point being is, now I am using the features of a manual camera, yet, as I sort through photos and do some "digital development" work on them, all my photos I am uploading come from my old 2 mp P&S.

I use to have it hanging around my neck underneath my jacket every time I jumped on the bike for a ride. No more bike now, and not really any time to go out anywhere with the camera, now most of my shots are boring (to other people) snapshots of the kids playing.

So, here are a few more I have had laying around on the hard drive. I was playing a bit with black and white, of which I never did before because back then, my B&W was just boring greyscale conversions. A couple of others with some different PP as well.

Hope you enjoyed!
Luv 'em, Mike!

I've not taken many photos in the last month or so. The light just hasn't been good, and the window of opportunity during the day is getting smaller and smaller. I had been looking forward to getting some autumnal photos but I'd forgotten what a pile of pooh the weather is here, by the time November rolls in. There's just no contrast. My current sleeping pattern isn't helping either

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG