The online racing simulator
Colin Mcrae Demo
(30 posts, started )
Colin Mcrae Demo
Hi all,

im in the process of downloading the colin mcrae dirt demo, and i was curious on what you guys think about it? I already kinda know what to expect, shittyish physics but amazing visuals with good special effects.

What cars and tracks come in the demo and what experiences do any of you lot have with it?
Feel free to post.

Regards,
Frenchy
It's crap. My friend downoaded DiRT, and I brought my DFP over since he doesn't have a wheel. The annoying bloom effect cannot be turned off, and the car textures in GT4 are higher res. Driving is impossible. They use a physics engine in which grip is boolean.

If LFS used the DiRT graphics engine, this is what it would look like.... (see attatchment)
Attached images
lfs_dirtstyle.jpg
#5 - CSU1
is no fair, i think its good
#6 - Jakg
i downloaded it and the bloom looked ULTRA realistic... if i'd been on LSD...

Some of it looked "good", but LFS actually looked MORE real, and my 7950GT (a top end card a year ago!) gets more than 10 fps on low
Quote from Jakg :i downloaded it and the bloom looked ULTRA realistic... if i'd been on LSD...

Some of it looked "good", but LFS actually looked MORE like LFS, and my 7950GT (a top end card a year ago!) gets more than 10 fps on low

Huh? I got a 7950Gt and i run colin mcrae dirt in full option.
But it's crap. Good looking in certain way like damage and dirt but all the physic are so ... unrealistic. It's not even a arcarde game.

Quote from Wheel4Hummer :
They use a physics engine in which grip is boolean.

Well said
#8 - Jakg
Quote from shadow2kx :Huh? I got a 7950Gt and i run colin mcrae dirt in full option.

What CPU/Memory do you have? Makes me think it might of been a driver oddity then...
Jakg! Maybe your CPU is *gasp* OVERHEATING!!

</sarcasm>

Looking at DiRT makes me think that there should be laws against retards making racing games.
I tried the demo, two things hit me.

1 - my computer is just crap
2 - What a horrible game. Nice to look at, but not to touch.
Yer the car models are nice, shame that if you're doing anything under like 30mph you can do a 180 turn instantly.

Bloom melted my face.

Ran fine on high settings on my rig, but then again I'd expect it to.
I didn't mind it all that much, although trying to drive from the cockpit view is a nightmare. I didn't notice any annoying graphical effects, and you can't seem to avoid bloom these days.

You have to approach it as an arcade game. I couldn't use it properly with my wheel, but when I switched to keyboard I was fine. Remember it's designed for a joypad.
#13 - JTbo
Dirt has bad graphics, bad physics, bad gameplay and quite bad sounds (they seem not to be related what you see).

It has cool name, almost like drift and packaging is pretty so kewl kids buy it like no tomorrow...

But I guess it is ok then if one truly, really likes from it and is not yessing because others are

I loled.
The game is more fun on a Xbox 360, I played it for a bit at a friend's house and it was pretty entertaining. Tracks are very well made, especially Pikes Peak and dirt truck/buggy tracks that you race on.

I was going through the game pretty quickly though on the hardest level of opponents. Was still a challenge with them close behind by a few seconds or more, but still was very easy. It was entertaining though, that is all I liked about it.... because each race is different with various types of cars and classes... it's not the same kind of cars each time. I have a hunch that the game would feel like crap on PC with a steering wheel. The game is just far too fast paced for a wheel, you'd need to use a quick gamepad like in a console.
Ye i got 7950 gt too (well it ko superclocked by factory) full grafs sometimes lil lag,but the steering was horribly,i tried to play with settings but ehh crash model is good tho
#18 - JTbo
Quote from e2mustang :Ye i got 7950 gt too (well it ko superclocked by factory) full grafs sometimes lil lag,but the steering was horribly,i tried to play with settings but ehh crash model is good tho

Crash model is not good, how door comes off if you roll car so that door even does not touch anything?
1nsane has better driving and better crashing than this game and 1nsane is damn old game...
Quote :LFS actually looked MORE like LFS

No. Really!?

edit: anyway, Dirt looks really bad, and the fact that I can't even run it on my l33t 3 year old uber-PC means it's doubly bad. Wouldn't even load, wouldn't even give me a chance!

*shakes fist at sky

You maniacs!

You bloomed it up!

God damn you!

God damn you all to hell!
Quote from JTbo :Crash model is not good, how door comes off if you roll car so that door even does not touch anything?
1nsane has better driving and better crashing than this game and 1nsane is damn old game...

"how door comes off if you roll car so that door even does not touch anything? " its coz the gravity+force lol but still better than lfs's damage model
Quote from e2mustang :" its coz the gravity+force

You don't know basic physics... Force = mass x acceleration. The forces generated in a rollover would be rotational anyway, with not much centrifugal force.
I bought the game for the Pikes Peak races, and after playing some time and getting used to it, it was fine. But the bloom effect really starts hurting my eyes and I just hate it when I'm sliding and I turn the wheel to the other side a little bit, it reacts immediatly.
Quote from wheel4hummer :You don't know basic physics... Force = mass x acceleration. The forces generated in a rollover would be rotational anyway, with not much centrifugal force.

I know,but when u see this after som bull*** it means its a joke
Dirt is Garbage. Hopefully the full game is better. Either way, I am not buying it. Dirt just makes me love LFS ever more. I am sick of all the NFS's a BS knockoff wanna be racing sims. THey are all simple arcade games to me. However. NFS Prostreet looks really good.
They have a new smoke effects are are totally bass ass. LFS is the most realistic and thrilling Sim I ever played. Can not wait to get better at it. I need to get me a wheel too

Colin Mcrae Demo
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG