The online racing simulator
laptop q's... fps etc help needed please
hoping someone here can help

i play lfs on a dell inspiron laptop, i dont have all the specs here, but on single player i get about 60ish fps, online usually 40ish until my laptop overheats and it drop dramatically sometimes to 12 or 10! now from reading previous threads a cooler is a must so im of to get one asap.

the question is, is there any other tips graphics wise i can do to bump up the fps in any way? i have sky turned off, and turning off anti virus helped too, is there anything else i can do?? i assume i can get upgraded cards etc for my laptop?

cheers!!
#2 - Jakg
you can only upgrade the memory or the HDD's on laptops - CPU's are possible but so rare, expensive etc it's impractical, and 96% of the time you can't upgrade the graphics either.

As a temporary solution, take 2 corks and put them underneath the laptop on the back, giving it a "rake" and lifting it from the table - it will get more air and run a bit cooler, and you've got an excuse to have 2 bottles of wine :P
cool, that heat would be one of the factors of the fps dying off though am i right? i once wrapped an ice pack in towel and put it under the laptop and it helped alot. im going to buy a cooler i think, the keyboard even gets roasting
I had overheating problems on my laptop and was about to order a cooler when i decided to pull the cover off the bottom and see if the fans were blocked with dust.
I did so and they were blocked... It wasn't much but when i cleaned it out it made a BIG difference. It used to run at 95 degrees (or higher) now it runs at a constant 65.
So before you rush out and buy a cooler, check the fans are clear from all dust.
#5 - Jakg
Quote from neo force KP61 :cool, that heat would be one of the factors of the fps dying off though am i right? i once wrapped an ice pack in towel and put it under the laptop and it helped alot. im going to buy a cooler i think, the keyboard even gets roasting

If after playing your FPS just gets lower and lower then it could be that, but at the same time you could juice more performance outta it by stopping unnecesary stuff running in the background etc.
Quote from nikimere :I had overheating problems on my laptop and was about to order a cooler when i decided to pull the cover off the bottom and see if the fans were blocked with dust.
I did so and they were blocked... It wasn't much but when i cleaned it out it made a BIG difference. It used to run at 95 degrees (or higher) now it runs at a constant 65.
So before you rush out and buy a cooler, check the fans are clear from all dust.

If your laptop is hitting 95°, LFS being slow is the last of your problems, especially seeing as it wont last long at 95!

Your not going to like this, but unless you need a laptop a desktop would be a MUCH better performer - for some reason people seem to assume they "need" a laptop and it just lives on their desk for all it's life
Quote from Jakg :If after playing your FPS just gets lower and lower then it could be that, but at the same time you could juice more performance outta it by stopping unnecesary stuff running in the background etc.If your laptop is hitting 95°, LFS being slow is the last of your problems, especially seeing as it wont last long at 95!

It lasted about 3 or 4 weeks until i figured the problem out... I thought it was just getting old. Then i ran the temperature monitor that came with the laptop and it started beeping like crazy!

Quote from Jakg :
Your not going to like this, but unless you need a laptop a desktop would be a MUCH better performer - for some reason people seem to assume they "need" a laptop and it just lives on their desk for all it's life

Of course a desktop will be better (cheaper and performance) than a laptop...
Your not going to like this, but, some people NEED a laptop.
Cheers nikimere, i will try that later, but to be safe already bought a cooler. better safe than sorry. i have never cleaned my fan before, and the laptop is over a year old so i can imagine it is fluffed up.
last night when we were racing on ky i could barely touch the undersid of the computer

p.s i also need a laptop, and my bro races on the desktop
#8 - Jakg
Quote from nikimere :Your not going to like this, but, some people NEED a laptop.

I'm not disputing this, i've just seen SO many people buy a laptop and NEVER move the damn thing.
so we've got the actual pc cooling thing sorted, any tips graphics wise?? will any of te LOD settings help? like i said i have clouds, flags etc turned off

cheers dudes !

heres the cooler i bought
#10 - Jakg
Trying 16-bit might help - here are the most "frugal" options
Attached images
Grabby1.jpg
Grabby2.jpg
cheers

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG