The online racing simulator
Bootcamp Server?
(6 posts, started )
Bootcamp Server?
Caveat: I freely admit that I haven't had the time to think this through thoroughly. It's just an idea that sprung to mind following a conversation I had recently with danowat on another thread, so sorry if it's been suggested/tried before.

I thought I'd just throw it in for people to talk about and to flame or suggest ideas for, as the mood takes them.

Becky and Sam, I apologise ahead of time if you feel that this is not for the CTRA. We all know and appreciate that the CTRA belongs to you guys and that it's you guys who do all the hard work. So, please feel free to close, nuke or otherwise influence this thread as you see fit. It really is, just an idea.

OK. Here we go.

As the thread title suggests, how about a CTRA Bootcamp Server?

What prompted this?
Numerous discussions on the CTRA forums about inexperienced and/or inconsiderate drivers causing problems on the servers (a perennial problem, I think ) and most recently addressed in Becky's 'Single Seater' thread.

Why such a server?
Because a prospective (note the word, prospective) CTRA licence holder would be given the opportunity to demonstrate a level of maturity and racecraft in preparation for joining the main servers.

It would hopefully provide a filtering process to differentiate between those who are merely inexperienced but keen to learn and those who are just plain inconsiderate. It would also mean that only one CTRA server has to suffer the sometimes painful indoctrinations of some newcomers, rather than two (i.e. the current Race 1 and SS 1 servers).

The effort required in taking part in Bootcamp would hopefully dissuade casual, fly-by wreckers from continuing further.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, to provide 'genuine' new and/or inexperienced drivers a place to race where the emphasis is on learning racecraft rather than pursuing points.

How would it work?
Suggestions welcome here, but one or two concepts/ideas just for starters:
  • The need to complete a requisit number of 'clean' races.
  • Learning how best to deal with T1's
  • More experienced drivers (e.g. golds, platinums, titaniums) would be very welcome on the server, however their role would really need to be more one of mentor rather than competitor, so that new drivers could learn how to race safely with much faster drivers present. For example, short tracks with lots of laps might help with learning about dealing with blue flag situations.
  • Quick lap times, while obviously desirable, would not be the be-all and end-all. Decent behaviour and race craft would be the point of focus. Not everyone can be fast, but everyone can learn what needs to be done on the race track when faced with any given situation (e.g. there's a blue flag and a fast driver behind me; what to I do now? A slow driver who has practiced what to do under these circumstances need not cause a problem in this situation.)
  • The 'performance' requirements may not necessarily need to be very stringent. Simply being on the server for a predetermined period of time among the 'right kind' of people might help instill a certain 'mind set' if you will. A kind of, "Hmm, Bootcamp. OK these people clearly mean business and I need to behave accordingly." It sends out a message that racing on the CTRA servers is something to be valued.
Now I know that there are many 'minor' (Ha! yeah, right) issues to deal with such as policing, record keeping, structure, etc., etc. and some kind of autonomous system would be ideal of course but I do appreciate that this is far more easily said than done! (Although having said that, the CTRA-X system has reached such a level of sophistication now, that the necessary automation may already be available.) Logistics are everything.

So, please remember that this is not a detailed proposal. I haven't come prepared with all the arguments and answers, only the concept, and like I said earlier, I really do appreciate that such things are far more easily said than done.

Please excuse me now, while I run for cover. :hide:

can someone ban him!!! or at least take away 1000 points from his license
My goodness!

Thank you for such a carefully considered and reasoned argument, StableX.

What was I thinking!
in all honesty, I thought about something similar but it takes a bit more work and a few more servers which would integrate the process I use for a lot of other gaming groups I run and work with.

I just think right now its a mixture of things that needs to happen. The system is still new and in its teething stage. I think once we give it time to settle and people to find their fave place to race (different licenses) then other factors can be taken in.

I do think though, an elementary level server to introduce people to the system and CTRA ethos should be there. It's a little too much to expect new people coming to the CTRA system to understand and equate to what its about off the bat.
Quote from StableX :in all honesty, I thought about something similar but it takes a bit more work and a few more servers which would integrate the process I use for a lot of other gaming groups I run and work with.

Don't quite follow you there. I was only referring to the CTRA servers.

Quote from StableX :I just think right now its a mixture of things that needs to happen. The system is still new and in its teething stage. I think once we give it time to settle and people to find their fave place to race (different licenses) then other factors can be taken in.

Fair comment. It is very early days for the system and arguably evolution is better than revolution.

Quote from StableX : I do think though, an elementary level server to introduce people to the system and CTRA ethos should be there. It's a little too much to expect new people coming to the CTRA system to understand and equate to what its about off the bat.

Yeah, but admittedly there is a price to pay of course. A whole server set aside solely to inaugurate newcomers would be expensive in terms of resourses but it would hopefully help 'protect' all the other servers and save on hands-on administration there, like reviewing reports, for example.
Quote from dungbeetle :My goodness!

Thank you for such a carefully considered and reasoned argument, StableX.

What was I thinking!

Well actually its just about the reaction i have come to expect from a Yemenite

Bootcamp Server?
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG