The online racing simulator
Car model mods?
(77 posts, started )
Quote from danworth :well there is always 1 question you can always ask...
...Why.

a sim doesn't have to be on it final build to be open to mods. there are many games not just racing that are always having updates, and yet open to mods, i cant see why LFS has to be s3 to allow mods...

i dont seem to be getting the picture... do you know how frustrating that is? - Is it obvious then? "oh of course mods wont be available LFS isn't s3 yet"

the people at LFS dont have to do any thing, just allow mods to be made that will make this possible. instead of stating that they will be refused with out explanation.

It's not you... most people who go on these forums are very single minded and brainwashed into thinking lfs will only be successful like it is because of this fear of adding new content.
I can understand that there might be poor mods made if LFS is opened to modding but that does not reflect on the actual game's quality at all. It would not hurt Live for Speed's own (separate from the mods) development and image as far as I can see.

Somebody made the point that mods will likely break with every physics patch. While this is true, I don't see why this is something the devs have to worry about. I mean that's the modder's problem.

Also, I think some people actually do care about what they are driving in LFS. Real vehicles add to the realism of a sim immensely, and that's what LFS is, isn't it? :up:

PS: This is no way meant to disrespect the devs' opinions; after all, LFS is their project, and these decisions are theirs to make.
I'm sure that if the devs allowed for 3rd part models it would've not hurt anything.

The car physics could've stayed intact, the only difference is that people could've modeled any vehicle they liked and used it instead of a default model. I'd really love to drive a Subaru Impreza WRC for an XRT or an XRR and a Fiat Punto for an XFG. :P
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :but thats the thing, even though people do drift on this game, lfs is'nt intended to be a drifting sim. lfs is intended to be a race sim, you know, close racing, door to door action. That kinda thing

LFS intended to be a "simulator" and you are talking bullshit.

The way you setup your car defines the race type AutoCross-Tarmac Race-Drag-Drift
I've always wished for community cars but more so, TRACKS.
Let's face it, most of the track in LFS are rather plain and boring with no real racing feel. I'm sure there are quite a lot of talented people who could help in this department and make the game even more popular to the rather small sim community.
With physics being as great as they are, it all falls short on the current tracks, IMO.
And with only track mods, there's no fear of a mod exploiting the game, ruining it, etc. Server admins will simply choose what they think is of quality.
Sadly, this topic has been raised ever since I've been a part of LFS and so far, the devs don't seem to give a flying poop about any of it.
Shame.
Or they could at least implement some of the existing mods/addons (many of them IMHO are a "must" ). made by users (ex. Analog Gauges - Not quite a mod - cant think of anything).But hey,thats only my opinion,so.....
Simply have to say this...
Sorry, but I can't understand how some people are so ignorant when it comes to moding - instantly throwing those old stereotypical arguments against it (no offense).
"Go play rfactor" - yep, I have it installed only to try its mods (and with some exceptions they are rubbish).

The reason I play LFS is the physics and accessibility. I mostly drive alone on the track just for fun, sometimes try hotlaping, sometimes drift - the best and closest to real life physics of road cars among all available sims is why it's such a great fun even without racing. So all those "suggestions" to drive other games sound ridiculous .

Say I take xrg, give it specs of 200sx s13 with LFSTweak, put on some racing OZ wheels with BeSpoke and drive the hell out of it offline . Tell me HOW does this what i'm doing affects all you "moding enemies" ?
Now imagine one more similar program(working only for licensed users and only offline unless both clients and server uses it) which would load up different/custom car 3d model with textures when lfs is runing. That way it wouldn't be "real" moding in the sense of rF but rather an unofficial addon program for lfs like tweak and bespoke
Quote from MarioX :Simply have to say this...
Sorry, but I can't understand how some people are so ignorant when it comes to moding - instantly throwing those old stereotypical arguments against it (no offense).
"Go play rfactor" - yep, I have it installed only to try its mods (and with some exceptions they are rubbish).

The reason I play LFS is the physics and accessibility. I mostly drive alone on the track just for fun, sometimes try hotlaping, sometimes drift - the best and closest to real life physics of road cars among all available sims is why it's such a great fun even without racing. So all those "suggestions" to drive other games sound ridiculous .

Say I take xrg, give it specs of 200sx s13 with LFSTweak, put on some racing OZ wheels with BeSpoke and drive the hell out of it offline . Tell me HOW does this what i'm doing affects all you "moding enemies" ?
Now imagine one more similar program(working only for licensed users and only offline unless both clients and server uses it) which would load up different/custom car 3d model with textures when lfs is runing. That way it wouldn't be "real" moding in the sense of rF but rather an unofficial addon program for lfs like tweak and bespoke

all my money on this guy!
It's not about reputation, it's about development.

If they allowed mods now, people would mod the game. They'd add cars and make them handle the way they interpret them to IRL (which is a debate in itself).

But wait! Along comes a physics mod and suddenly 500 modders have a completely useless product. They can no longer run them online like they did before, the cars no longer behave the way they used to and those modders have to start rebuilding and redistributing their product. Which could be a lot of work if you've modded a load of different things.

And where's the first place they'll complain? That's right, here. We'd suddenly have a deluge of "my mod doesn't work now" and "why did you change feature x?" posts, clogging the forums up with more spam than we get already.

It makes far more sense to me to get the base vanilla product complete before you allow people to change things that are still in development.

And anyway, how do you know these cars aren't just placeholders for when S3 is finally finished? How do you know you're not going to log into the forums one day to see the XFG replaced by a Ford Focus or a FZ5 replaced by a Porsche Carrera or Ferrari F360? I'm not saying it's even on the cards, but you never know what the Scavier guys are going to pull out of the hat.
Quote from Dajmin :It's not about reputation, it's about development.

If they allowed mods now, people would mod the game. They'd add cars and make them handle the way they interpret them to IRL (which is a debate in itself).

But wait! Along comes a physics mod and suddenly 500 modders have a completely useless product. They can no longer run them online like they did before, the cars no longer behave the way they used to and those modders have to start rebuilding and redistributing their product. Which could be a lot of work if you've modded a load of different things.

And where's the first place they'll complain? That's right, here. We'd suddenly have a deluge of "my mod doesn't work now" and "why did you change feature x?" posts, clogging the forums up with more spam than we get already.

It makes far more sense to me to get the base vanilla product complete before you allow people to change things that are still in development.

And anyway, how do you know these cars aren't just placeholders for when S3 is finally finished? How do you know you're not going to log into the forums one day to see the XFG replaced by a Ford Focus or a FZ5 replaced by a Porsche Carrera or Ferrari F360? I'm not saying it's even on the cards, but you never know what the Scavier guys are going to pull out of the hat.

rest of my money on this guy!
Quote from Dajmin :It's not about reputation, it's about development.

Well said. This guy has it sussed. It is a silly idea to allow random people to change a game that is still early in it's development. LFS is the best driving game ever made by a mile. I for one trust and agree with every single thing that the devs have done so far. If they don't allow us to mod everything and havn't explained why I'm sure there's a very good reason why not. Why should they explain these things anyway?! If they explained why every little suggestion was a good or bad idea they would have no time left for anything else.

This game doesn't need people adding 3rd party cars and add-ons. It would soon become fast & furious tokyo drift and steal a lot of potential racer's off server's to go and drive a crap re-make of their favourite hot hatch. It was never meant to be like this. It was and still is meant to be an online racing simulator with people driving similar car's at their limit around a track.

The game is fantastic as it is and getting better all the time. Topics like this are only slowing the devs down...
OK,I agree myself that car model mod isnt such a good idea,but,why is such a bad idea to enrich the games with some "fun" (for someones) addons?Whats the bad thing about it?

Oh,PS,
Quote :Why should they explain these things anyway?! If they explained why every little suggestion was a good or bad idea they would have no time left for anything else.

I dont think that answering one question that is asked every now and then is something that would take up that ammount of time and I might sound mean or somethin,but,70 % ppl here have paid for a licence so at least they diserve a answer (either a positive or a negative one - as long as they answer).Im not a lisenced user as you can see of course,but If I were one,I would kindly ask for one single answer.Am I wrong?Of course Devs have more important things to do,got real lifes to take care but hey,it will only take a min or two to explain this thing.

Of course this is my opinion.....(and I expect no attention,since the only users actually getting some answers are the lisenced ones - demo users are generally ignored)

Anyway,Cheers!
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :if mods are released, the devs no longer have control over what happens to their game.

I´m agree.

LFS brings you the posibility o driving a car in a track with realistic physics. What you do with the car, depends on your own.
Quote from NitroNitrous :I´m agree.

LFS brings you the posibility o driving a car in a track with realistic physics. What you do with the car, depends on your own.

Me to, If the dev's let people do what they like to the game, they're no longer dev's IMO. They just made the first part of the game, then everyone else took over.

Keep LFS how it is, just wait for more official cars and tracks.
Quote from Gibslime :OK,I agree myself that car model mod isnt such a good idea,but,why is such a bad idea to enrich the games with some "fun" (for someones) addons?Whats the bad thing about it?

Oh,PS,

I dont think that answering one question that is asked every now and then is something that would take up that ammount of time and I might sound mean or somethin,but,70 % ppl here have paid for a licence so at least they diserve a answer (either a positive or a negative one - as long as they answer).Im not a lisenced user as you can see of course,but If I were one,I would kindly ask for one single answer.Am I wrong?Of course Devs have more important things to do,got real lifes to take care but hey,it will only take a min or two to explain this thing.

Anyway,Cheers!

The thing is though if they take the time to answer one or two questions then people will say it's not fair that they won't answer their specific question. It snowballs and eventually a lot of time will be wasted in trying to explain to people why certain things are or not possible in LFS and then why they won't answer every question. So the best way is to say nothing. Then no-one expects an answer. The only problem with that is threads like this appear but the devs have said on many occasion they make this game the way they want and not how someone else wants. And because of this attitude and way of development it is a much better game for it.
I'm so glad that more people started to post, i was faced with pure arrogance last night, banging my head against a wall.

Maybe people took what i was saying to mean that the whole game will have a different face, no. There are mods out there already Bespoke and so on,, but none change the cars shape.

This mod is simple, nothing else needs to change all i would like is that for example the XR6 to have a AE86 Model, and a bit of LFS tweak to give it 170PS, and you're set

The half-life was an example, this wouldn't be a completely different game. when i said D1GP mod, all cars inbuilt to the game will have different models. and LFS tweak to adjust their power and so on. not just for drifting to add your fav cars

so.
UF1 = Citroen CV2
XFG = Civic EG6
XR6 = Toyota Sprinter Trueno AE86
LX4 = Radical
RB4 = Evo(1-9)
and so on

the mod having to be changed every release of LFS is a problem that every one faces in every mod. as said above that not LFS devs problem but the mod devs problem.
Quote from Alric :The thing is though if they take the time to answer one or two questions then people will say it's not fair that they won't answer their specific question. It snowballs and eventually a lot of time will be wasted in trying to explain to people why certain things are or not possible in LFS and then why they won't answer every question. So the best way is to say nothing. Then no-one expects an answer. The only problem with that is threads like this appear but the devs have said on many occasion they make this game the way they want and not how someone else wants. And because of this attitude and way of development it is a much better game for it.

OK,now I get the point.Still unfair for users but at least for all of them not some of them.

Odd but acceptable.
I actually don't care what my car looks like as all I see is the cockpit It's the only realistic view, anything else is for amateurs Relax, people, I'm kidding.

Seriously though, I think people that find the looks of the cars so important are kind of missing the whole point of LFS. I agree that by default some of the cars look kind of bland and maybe a bit outdated. But a nice skin can really do wonders there.

I would have no problem at all with people modding whichever aspect of LFS they want, as long as it stays offline and they don't release it to the public in any way (ie. putting them online on some team website or something or even post 'em here on the forums).
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :if mods are released, the devs no longer have control over what happens to their game.

It's not like they had control over what happens to their game in the first place.
Quote from obsolum :I actually don't care what my car looks like as all I see is the cockpit It's the only realistic view, anything else is for amateurs

you're not the only one, no doubt a majority of sim racers use that view, i do and do for any racing game. all i'm saying is that it does matter for some people including me, if it was released i can imagine a few more ppl would buy the game.
Quote from danworth :you're not the only one, no doubt a majority of sim racers use that view, i do and do for any racing game. all i'm saying is that it does matter for some people including me, if it was released i can imagine a few more ppl would buy the game.

It's not always about flogging as many copies as they can. I'm sure if it was about volume of sales the game would look very need for speed indeed.

I think this should be moved to the suggestion forum. It's a good idea which has been asked many times before but is unlikely to be implemented until the game is finished.

I would like changing weather conditions, working wipers, more tracks, more cars, improved graphics, better more realistic physics, motion gear changes in incar view etc etc etc. But I know that I have to either wait for these things to be developed or accept they may never be implemented. There's no point in whinging, just let the devs do their job. Like I said before, if everyone asked for just a little bit of this or just a little bit of that, a quick add on or change here etc then real LFS development would ground to a standstill. All good things come to those who wait...
Well, a good way to look at it Dan is that when you look at sims like GTR2, GTL and RACE, no one ever got the beta release or if they have, they were just the testers of the game but you didn't go on seeing testers making mods while they were testing, did ya? . You may think "well, LFS is released" but actually, it isn't quite released or to put it in better terms, finalised . So consider that the version of LFS we have now is an alpha version of the game, oh wait! I almost forgot, it in facts says "Live For Speed S2 ALPHA" at the start screen of the game . I'm just stating that I know that if I were in the devs position, still working away at my sim, I REALLY wouldn't appreciate people going round messing with my code to make mods and such because then it'll just complicate things big time.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get your point, I would love to drive the Enzo round Fiorano or drive the NSX round Suzuka *insert drool here * but I understand why no mods would be allowed. I look forward to the day when S3 is out and hopefully, the devs release their magical tools that they used to make the models, tracks and physics, that will be one funky day.

Can someone make me a promise that if the devs release their tools, to make an F355 Challenge mod? PLZ!!! with a cherry on top?
It is some time that I successfully resisted to posting in this thread. However, I cannot hold it anymore and have to express my opinion. Frankly, I don't give a about the car's look. I only see it from the cockpit anyway. What I would like to be able to do is to change some basic parameters of the vehicle, for example: We have a Škoda Octavia Combi (Saloon) and I, unfortunately, don't have any chance of doing some more aggressive driving with it other than the usual everyday cruising around the city. In LFS, I would pick a car that resambles the most and just set it's power to 101bhp, 1600kg, basic dimensions (length, width, height), 5 speed manual gearbox, front wheel drive and a pair of craps hanging on the rear view mirror for better weight distribution . Then I would give it hell on LFS tracks, just for the kicks. That's my vision. Just add one generic car (be it for Offline racing only if you want) with a few sliders to adjust some basic parameters. No visual changes needed, just different handling.

Anyway, I'm not saying that LFS is bad the way it is right now, I am satisfied with what I paid for and I understand that "model-mods" aren't of any interest to the devs at this time, because even 3rd party mods require some support from the devs and they undoubtedly don't have time for that.

This is my drop of fuel to the fire, enjoy

Car model mods?
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG