The online racing simulator
Heating...Overheating...
(18 posts, started )
Heating...Overheating...
Hi...i was wondering what is the best way to cool your laptop down, and i get 100fps on single player, but 30-40 on multiplayer....without any AA or anything... these are my specs, do you think they're good for a laptop

If you bother reading most of it

Specifications: Operating System: Windows XP Professional. Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 (2x256KB L2 cache, 1.6GHz). Chipset: ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 1100. Memory: 512MB DDR2. Storage: 100GB hard disk drive, 4200RPM. Integrated variable-speed Super-Multi drive (DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM). 5-in-1 card reader for optional MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO or xD-Picture Card. Video: 15.4" WXGA (1280 x 800) TFT LCD with Acer CrystalBrite Technology. Up to 16.7 million colors. Integrated ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 1100 graphics. VGA port. Support for simultaneous display on notebook LCD and external monitor. Audio: Integrated microphone and two speakers. Microphone-in, line-in and headphones/speakers/line-out ports. Microsoft DirectSound and Sound Blaster Pro compatibility. Interface Ports: DC-in. RJ-11 modem. RJ-45 LAN. VGA. Microphone-in. Line-in. Headphones/speakers/line-out. Three USB 2.0. Card Slots: Type II PC Card slot. 5-in-1 card reader for optional MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO or xD-Picture Card. Communications: Acer InviLink 802.11b/g wireless LAN, Acer SignalUp technology for enhanced antenna efficiency, WI-FI CERTIFIED. 10/100 LAN, Wake-on-LAN ready. V.92 56Kbps data/fax modem, PTT (postal, telegraph, telephone) certified in select countries. User Interface: 88-key keyboard, inverted T cursor layout, standard numeric keypad, hotkey controls, international language support, 2.5mm minimum key travel. 12 function, four cursor, two Microsoft Windows keys. Web browser, e-mail, Empowering Key, one user-programmable easy-launch buttons. WLAN switch. Touchpad with four-way integrated scroll button. Dimensions: 14.1" (358.0mm) W x 10.6" (269.0mm) D x 1.2" - 1.3" (29.8mm - 33.8mm) H. Power: 65-watt AC adapter. Six-cell lithium ion battery: up to 2.5 hours life depending on configuration and usage; 2.5 hours recharge time with system off, 3.5 hours with system in use . Major Compliances: Wi-Fi CERTIFIED.

Anything which i can DIY make at home like in my back garden style please...just to cool it down loads
#2 - Jakg
Raise it up by balancing it on some corks (about 4, 6 if you wanna be ultra stable, or just 2 to lift up the back) should allow more air about it, cooling it down.

Are you sure it's overheating though? It sounds like in Multiplayer the CPU just takes a hammering with all the extra cars, and sounds perfetly normal tbh
Oh thanks Jack...ive tried that trick, but with 4 Dr. Pepper Bottles, it worked, but all the same stuff...is there anything i can actually MAKE which will cool it down, like, im really bored and i love making stuff these days...DIY for the world
wait...i run Windows Vista on my laptop, would it be any slower running a different OS?...some of that stuff about my PC specs are wrong, i got it of a dodgy website

It says my Grphx card goes up till 258mb...but thats stealing stuff from RAm...my RAM is 1024mb...and ive let it share max...128mb with the grphx card...meaning RAM used extrernally is only 896, so shall i not let the grphx card steall any?, i have an option, or letting it steal 32mb, 64mb, or 128mb
If you're on Vista, it's very unlikely you'll find an OS that runs slower

Regarding cooling, back in the days when my laptop saw heavy use (and wasn't yet horribly outdated), on hot days I used one of these blue "HotCold" ice packs wrapped up in a dishtowel (so the condensation water doesn't screw things up) placed directly underneath the CPU. Cleaning out the fans once in a while doesn't harm either, though on a laptop this needs probably a bit more finesse, depending on how it is designed.
is there another way...like, if i open things up?, allowing more air in or something?
Well, what do you think you can "open up"? I mean, the air for cooling is most likely sucked in from the top of and through the keyboard, so the only thing you can maybe do is to lift that one up. I know it worked on my laptop and I could immediately hear how doing so relieved stress from the CPU fan, but if you're not good with handling hardware stuff you can easily void your warranty, so I'd be very careful. Actually, forget what I just wrote, this might not even work on newer laptops.
Lol thanks Android...i just absolutely hate vista...i wanna get rid of it
it says your running XP professional, not vista.
Its probably an older version of my laptop...my dad upgraded it quite a lot when he bought it for me
Well, are you sure your not just running a vista them you downloaded or something? Because if that report is quite recent, it would state any changes you have made to your OS.
na...thats an old version of my laptop...i use an Aspire 5100...Acer...you can check it...its all standard
#13 - Jakg
Just to double check, i love cooling as much as anyone else (in fact as i'm a "1337z0r overclockz0r" i like it alot more than anyone else, thus the (crappy) water cooling), but is the temperature actually too hot? have you checked?
#14 - CSU1
AMD Turion 64 , 1.6GHz)
ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 1100 @ memory: HyperMemory up to 128 MB
physical em: 512MB

imo that cpu is too slow. however with 128mb of ati mem you would have little trouble 'displaying' full res skins and textures..but would be hampered by cpu as lfs uses it alot.

overclocking is not an option unless you plan to build a bulky cooling system...but then it won't be a notebook anymore.

E;

i got it of a dodgy website
Quote from harjun :
It says my Grphx card goes up till 258mb...but thats stealing stuff from RAm...my RAM is 1024mb...and ive let it share max...128mb with the grphx card...meaning RAM used extrernally is only 896, so shall i not let the grphx card steall any?, i have an option, or letting it steal 32mb, 64mb, or 128mb

no...my graphics card says...on it goes up to 258 mb...
#16 - Jakg
it goes up to 256 MB, not 258.

It's up to you - for LFS all you need is 128 MB with all the hi-res textures etc (i've caught my custom textured-whored LFS using 120 MB @ 1680*1050), your main problem is not your graphics card running out of RAM but A. The fact its a naff onboard chip and B. Your CPU.
if i get 2GB of ram will it make LFS faster?
No.
(But Windows in general would probably benefit from it)

Heating...Overheating...
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG