The online racing simulator
AI - mod-able?
(7 posts, started )
AI - mod-able?
I was wondering... Is it possible for us to write new AI? I appreciate the source code for the existing AI is the devs' IP and won't be made available to us scrubs, but could the AI's interface be documented and would it then be possible for us to write replacement AI and then plug them in as a DLL or something?

I've always been interested in game AI, and it'd be cool to be able to develop bots with particular characteristics for LFS. Any chance of this happening?
I doubt they would. I mean, its still alpha, they gotta get the ai right first.

But you neven know. *crossing fingers* I'd like to have a go myself.

c'mon Scewen, lets see it =P
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#3 - axus
While the AI's currently in place are relatively slow, you can train your own AI - they learn as they go along. If they have another car on the track going quicker they will try to adopt its racing style. The .knw files in [LFS Folder]\data\knw are updated after the end of each race. There were AI's in S1 that could do BL1 in a 1:37, and considering that the WR at the time was 1:34, that isn't too shabby. You can also force them to use a specific setup by enabling AI use player setup in Options > Misc and then you can modify the set to suit their driving. I don't think that the .knw file specs are available but perhaps Scawen could release those at some stage?
hmmm racing eliza ? dunno if thats a good idea
IMO it would be awesome to edit the line that the AI take! You could set it so that they go off the fern bay jump
NooB question
Speaking of AI, what exactly does the "ai (L)" text mean when adding AI racers to a single-player race? That they're learners? Local? Other?

Also, is an AI racer's "expierence" from past races specific to the track and/or car they gained the experience in? In other words, if I let AI #1 run around Blackwood all night long, does he become an expert at Blackwood or a better driver overall at every track?

And finally, does training one AI driver train them all, or are they really 16 different AI experience profiles, one for each imaginary AI driver?
Training them at blackwood only helps them at Blackwood.

Training AI1 doesn't help AI2. Training AI1 doesn't help AI1 if you rename AI1 to something else. You can rename the knw (knowledge) files though, and make duplicates, so in effect you can teach all AI's by letting one drive, but it requires your assistance (in renaming/copying).

AI - mod-able?
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG