TCP or UDP?
(7 posts, started )
#1 - X-Ter
TCP or UDP?
When testing my bandwidth using a tool called TPTest, I get results in both UDP and TCP. These result (if I understood it right) can be entered into the server field that says:
Maximum Upload (kbit / sec):

But witch of the two values should I enter? The result for TCP or the result for UDP? They don't differ much, but I get a better value for UDP.
Ideally you should use the TCP value.

The majority of the LFS traffic uses that, with the exception of positioning; which uses UDP.
#3 - X-Ter
Thank you
The manual lacked this little bit of info
Quote from the_angry_angel :Ideally you should use the TCP value.

The majority of the LFS traffic uses that, with the exception of positioning; which uses UDP.

although positioning is the most important
#5 - M.Mos
I'll try to show the differnces in TCP/UPD with my limited knowlege

TCP and UDP both are protocols for transfering IP packets.

UDP (User Datagram Protocol) works 'connectionless' it sends out the IP packets and did not check or validate they are actualy received (fire & forget).

TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) works connectingoriented, it guaranteed the transmission of the packets, make sure they are put together in the right order and has a checksum function to make sure the information inside the packets has not changed. If a packet gets lost it will be retransmited.
It doesn't matter which of the two you enter... The only difference is that TCP also takes a little of the download bandwidth away (because each received packet on the other side is answered with an "ack" packet).

Maximum upload in kbits is independent of the packets... It's just how many bits per second your connection can send. Mine is 1000 Kbit per second... Sending in UDP or TCP doesn't matter, it's still 1000 Kbit. The only difference between the two is the amount of useful data that fits in 1000 Kbit/s.
#7 - X-Ter
On paper, I also have 1Mbit upload speed, but the sad truth is that the internet isn't always at it's best, and so I preffer to play it safe and meassure actualy speed to servers in various places on the globe. I find that I an upload speed of little about 850 kbits / sec is what I should set it to, if I like to serve safe even for people in Australia or the US westcoast.
With that setting I can still serve 17 cars and have 23 guests, witch should be more than ok for the long endurance event's that SCORE will serve during 2006

TCP or UDP?
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG