The online racing simulator
Racing line
(16 posts, started )
Racing line
(Search gave 500 results and it was page 9 before i found anything vaguely relevant)

Ok so whats the deal with the darker rubber line you see on the track? At first i thought this was the ideal line but now from what i can see/have read its not. Its the average of all my laps so trying to follow this is basically just reinforcing my mistakes, right? Ive now set the update path to "all cars". Will this update from those other drivers online too? I would assume so but what about AI cars? Id like to do some training for them but having 20 AI cars run 100 laps at a time would surely make the dark line a crazy path again.

I ask as i am having a hard time getting any sort of consistency and i mainly use this darker area as my reference for turn ins/braking points etc. From what i can see now this is basically a dynamic line so its use seems a little well, pointless. Am i missing something or is this literally just graphical candy?

If there is another thread on this feel free to just point me there, but i cant find it...
I'd like to give you a definitive answer but I can't. To the best of my knowledge though it is not a dynamic thing - that darker line is always in the same place.

Your tyres do add rubber marks, but they don't look like that.
Ok thanks, your confusion seems to reflect that in the few relevant comments i have managed to find. Does that mean that "update path" refers to the rubber marks you add during racing (ie just your tyre marks or all cars tyre marks) and not to the darker line you see on the track even before you have done any lappping?

The manual says: "This determines which cars update the racing groove on the track."
The dark line IS dynamic. Where you drive adjusts where the line is.

User car just uses YOUR lines (including your mistakes) to update it.
All cars uses (you guessed it) all cars, including AI and online players, to update the path, so will include aliens, newbies, noobs, the AI AND you.

It refers to the general dark line, and not the skid marks.
Brilliant, thanks, thats the clear answer i was looking for. I will now turn off the update when the ai are practicing. Would you happen to know if its possible to delete the history of the "dark line"? Im sure it must be one of the files in /data. I think it might be good to delete it and start over.
I think there is, or at least was, a file for each track that 'saved' the line, but I can't remember what it is. Maybe a clevereererererer person will come and fill in the gap:

Yes, delete the file called [track+number].trs in the folder data\knw

Edit: Updated above, thanks to Darkone55 for doing the dirty work.
Quote from tristancliffe :The dark line IS dynamic. Where you drive adjusts where the line is.

Is that why my whole track is dark, except after corners where the grass is dark?

Quote from tristancliffe :The dark line IS dynamic. Where you drive adjusts where the line is.

User car just uses YOUR lines (including your mistakes) to update it.
All cars uses (you guessed it) all cars, including AI and online players, to update the path, so will include aliens, newbies, noobs, the AI AND you.

It refers to the general dark line, and not the skid marks.

Holy hell, didn't know that!

Explains why it seems that some days it follows the perfect racing line, and others, it doesn't.
yeah LOL! at Blackwood, the racing line is basically black for me from all that driving.
#11 - Iron
Holy cow, I didn't know this either, always wondered what that option does. Nice feature it is.
It would still be nice to have the blanks filled if anyone knows. If not, its no big thing.
Yaay, I've found the files. I've done a fresh LFS install, and then I saw how it looked without the black lines again. Hehe, what a difference. So I had to copy my old files. They're in:

LFS folder /data/knw/[track+number].trs

For example "BL1.trs"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_line

In motorsport, the racing line is the fastest path a vehicle can take through a specific corner, series of corners, or track. It is an accepted fact that the shortest difference between two points is a straight line. The racing line therefore, is generally characterized by being the largest turn radiusapex of the corner but not always. [1] possible within the confines of the track and hence would create the most direct route possible. A simple example would be a 90 degree left turn. In most cases (where other factors such as bumps or variations in banking or traction at different places in the turn are negligible), the ideal line would start on the very right hand side of the track upon entering the corner and end at the furthest right point of the track at the corner's exit. These two points of entrance and exit are then connected by an arc which runs smoothly from start to finish with the largest available radius (to maximise cornering speed). This, in nearly all cases involves the arc smoothly intersecting the
For multiple corners and/or straights, the analysis is somewhat complicated. Because the net goal is to minimize the time spent traversing the course, the driver must sometimes deviate from the typical racing line to set up properly for the next corner or straight. Exit speed onto a straight is one of the most important parts of racing, because an exit speed only slightly lower corresponds to a substantially larger time traversing the straight (the speed reduction is "integrated" across the straight).
I have picture from S1 of the line changes, and darkness, I chose AIs because they run the same path, if people don't run the same path, the line becomes so dispersed you won't see it. Sad thing is, racing line should be incremental, not "static" per say.

I would find the thread at RSC, but it is down. I did all these tests and explanations, but I guess that can wait for another time, and everything I most likely said has already been pointed out.

Attachment - Note the number of laps.
Attached images
Test1 (Small).JPG
Test2 (Small).jpg
Quote :Yaay, I've found the files. I've done a fresh LFS install, and then I saw how it looked without the black lines again. Hehe, what a difference. So I had to copy my old files. They're in:

LFS folder /data/knw/[track+number].trs

For example "BL1.trs"

Great stuff mate. Thanks for the info!

Racing line
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG