The online racing simulator
Fatal Crash Compilation
(133 posts, started )
I watched on the 6o'clock news Infa-red footage of Americans killing Iraqi terrorists supposedly planting a bomb. Yes. Footage of people getting ACTUALLY killed on the 6o'clock news. How do you feel about that Col?

You know people like you get worked up over something that ISN'T your problem, these deaths can't affect YOU in the same way they affect the families of those deceased. So instead of assuming how others feel why not use only your own feelings (which remember [can't be of any grievance]) and THEN judge the video. It seems your feelings on the video are based on what you think OTHER people are thinking of the video. So really, your feelings aren't yours to begin with, you are just trying to hard to be respectful and annexing your own emotions to people who probobly don't think the same way. I'd love to know what a loved one would think of this video of Lizards because I doubt that they would find it disrespectful.

If what you say is what everybody should think like, then they shouldn't broadcast any races live because somebody COULD die and it COULD be recorded. Heaven forbid that someone actually watch somebody die through a TELEVISIUAL DEVISE.

If things like this truely have an affect on you in an emotional way then maybe you should see a physiciatrist because you are too sensetive to things that you don't need to bother getting worked up about.

You call me inhumane and then say things like "why the hell shouldn't a tribute be entertaining?" You know I find your arguement has cascaded into two vaults, one where you adamently protest that any witnessing of a death is disrespectful if it can be avoided and the other vault where you say that tributes of deaths should be entertaining? Very strange.
#127 - col
Quote from lizardfolk :
blah... blah...If you consider all those documentaries to be distasteful purely because they used real footage of people's death and suffering than you and I have no more to say to each other...blah..blah

didn't you read my post?
I said MANY, not ALL.
Please stop misrepresenting me.
FWIW, if a hollywood movie uses footage of real death. or events that caused real death, then its hard to justify. I would label films with that sort of content to have questionable taste.
Most of the ones I've seen like that are dodgy jingoistic propaganda anyway.
Quote :

However...if you believe that films such as Waltz with Bashir, Savior, and Saving Private Ryan were films that did nothing and never intended anything more than to glorify deaths and killing then you are seriously misguided about this entire notion.

F&*k me, there you go putting words in my mouth AGAIN.
Where the hell did I say anything about Waltz with Bashir, Savior, and Saving Private Ryan ?
Quote :

Why must films be entertainment? Transformers 2 is entertainment. Breach, Syriana, Primer, and millions of other art films are not entertainment. Doesnt mean they are not great films, but I have yet to meet anyone who was "entertained" by them.

Wow, you don't even understand the meaning of a simple word like 'entertain'
Why do I even bother.

entertain:
1. to hold the attention of pleasantly or agreeably; divert; amuse.

So If you watch a serious, thought provoking film and come out saying, "that was a great film", then you have been entertained (your attention has been held agreeably).
It seems like you think it has to be comedy or in some way lightweight before its entertainment???

Quote :
That's like saying, oh everyone around me supports a dictatorship, so I must support him too.

No it isn't
That is a weak and inappropriate analogy
Quote :
You keep repeating that my tributes are for entertainment. Ok, let me ask you this. Why in the world do you get the notion that this was entire to make people entertained (laugh, cheer, feel happy)?

go look up a definition of 'entertain'.
Quote :

Maybe you can enlighten me (i.e. point out one that was entertaining). I have never NEVER seen a true tribute of a tragic event that was entertaining. Watching the Arizona get blow the crap out of it in Pearl Harbor was not entertaining. It evoked a tragic emotion in me, but I do not consider that being "entertained"

If you watch a tribute, and it grips you, and you are emotionally moved by it then you have been entertained.
Quote :

Likewise, films like "Savior" and "Saving Private Ryan" was touching and heart felt. I dont consider that to be "entertained".

well, that proves that you don't know the full meaning of the word
#128 - col
Quote from BlueFlame :I watched on the 6o'clock news Infa-red footage of Americans killing Iraqi terrorists supposedly planting a bomb. Yes. Footage of people getting ACTUALLY killed on the 6o'clock news. How do you feel about that Col?

That is disturbing.
Quote :

You know people like you get worked up over something that ISN'T your problem, these deaths can't affect YOU in the same way they affect the families of those deceased.

Poor Straw man argument from you again.
Just because these deaths don't affect me in the same way that they affect the families doesn't mean that I shouldn't feel empathy for the families.
In fact not to do so is a sign of a sociopath (as I've already said).

Quote :
If things like this truely have an affect on you in an emotional way then maybe you should see a physiciatrist because you are too sensetive to things that you don't need to bother getting worked up about.

So you think that someone who has an emotional reaction to footage of the deaths of others needs to see a psychiatrist?
If you can watch the deaths of others without an emotional reaction, then it is you who nees help, and fast.

psy·cho·path
n. A person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.

see that last bit "without empathy".
You are displaying that trait, and defending it as though it is the norm.
In fact, you seem to be saying that empathy is wrong and should be avoided.
Thats a worry.
Quote :
You call me inhumane and then say things like "why the hell shouldn't a tribute be entertaining?" You know I find your arguement has cascaded into two vaults, one where you adamently protest that any witnessing of a death is disrespectful if it can be avoided and the other vault where you say that tributes of deaths should be entertaining? Very strange.

"tributes of deaths"
hmm seems like the way you think is becoming more and more clear.
A should be a celebration. A celebration of a persons life and achievements. This can be entertaining in many ways and still be respectful.
But "tributes of deaths", that seems like a sick and twisted idea to me.
A celebration of the deaths of people ?
No, I would never find that entertaining, that is a horrible idea.
I guess that's where you and me differ ?
=======================================
trib⋅ute
–noun 1. a gift, testimonial, compliment, or the like, given as due or in acknowledgment of gratitude or esteem.

So that's basically where people say how great someone was and maybe tell anecdotes etc. there was a very entertaining program recently about Jim Clark which was full of entertaining tributes to the man from various important figures from the racing world - it was highly entertaining.
Quote from col :didn't you read my post?
I said MANY, not ALL.
Please stop misrepresenting me.
FWIW, if a hollywood movie uses footage of real death. or events that caused real death, then its hard to justify. I would label films with that sort of content to have questionable taste.
Most of the ones I've seen like that are dodgy jingoistic propaganda anyway.

Schindler's list used real footages of concentration camps and mass graves. And why does it have to be hollywood? Fallujah (director's cut) had footages of actual Israeli and Palestinian soldiers getting killed. I believed Waltz with Bashir had similar footages as well. What about the amazing documentary Taxi to the Dark Side? Real footages of actual torture and death from torture? Oscar documentary...It shouldn't be a question of whether real death footages are used, it should be a question of how it's used. That's what matters.

Quote from col :F&*k me, there you go putting words in my mouth AGAIN.
Where the hell did I say anything about Waltz with Bashir, Savior, and Saving Private Ryan ?

That was a hypothetical statement, you've obviously missed the point read that again

Quote from col :Wow, you don't even understand the meaning of a simple word like 'entertain'
Why do I even bother.

WTF, I've said this before and this WILL be the last time I say this again. Just because I hold a different opinion or view doesnt than you suddenly make me a lesser person. The insults are highly unwarranted so I suggest you get off your holier-than-thou complex and stop being a condensencing dick about this.

I obviously didn't intend to offend anyone and I apologize if I did. However, I will stick by my work unless you clearly knock me off my position (which you haven't yet)
Quote from col :entertain:
1. to hold the attention of pleasantly or agreeably; divert; amuse.

Key word...pleasantly, agreeably, amuse. Being made to cry is not pleasant nor is it agreeable or amusing to the person...

Quote from col :So If you watch a serious, thought provoking film and come out saying, "that was a great film", then you have been entertained (your attention has been held agreeably).
It seems like you think it has to be comedy or in some way lightweight before its entertainment???

No, but read my previous statement again...Key word...pleasantly, agreeably, amuse. Being made to cry is not pleasant nor is it agreeable or amusing to the person...

Being amused and being emotionally touched are two very different things. The most basic thing we learn here in yank film school. IDK maybe the Europeans have a different idea of this whole thing...but if so, argue your reasoning without being a condensending ass or else there's no point in continuing this.

Quote from col :No it isn't
That is a weak and inappropriate analogy

W/e, fact is, just because one person has an opinion about something doesn't automatically make their opinion valid just because it is an opinion. Opinion may not be as black and white as facts. But that doesn't mean they cant be either invalid, illinformed, and or misguided (as you no doubt think that about me).

I say again, if one person thinks torture is a form of entertainment...does that all of a sudden magically make torture lighthearted?

Quote from col :
well, that proves that you don't know the full meaning of the word

Or you are applying the word to liberally.
Col you call me a Sociopath and then paste a definition to Psychopath.
#131 - col
Quote from BlueFlame :Col you call me a Sociopath and then paste a definition to Psychopath.

Yes. They're basically the same thing. The only (subtle) difference is in the cause of the condition. Psychopath is a bit more hereditary/genetic influence, sociopath is a bit more environmental.
The result is the same behaviour, so for the purposes of this discussion, they are interchangeable.

Sorry for any confusion.
I've set out to remake my original 2 to make them as a better quality and hopefully more emotionally impacting (It's hard to be emotionally impacted by just a white name with a black screen), and finally finished with the second part

Here's the second part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IfppDsUeZ0

Roger Williamson was especially difficult for me to watch. Thought best to keep the music to a minimum during that section. I was kinda gutted that I couldn't use Shostakovitch's 2nd piano concerto this time around as that second moment is absolutely gorgeous but
Quote from gezmoor :I don't get it, I don't subscribe to it. In fact IMO it's sick, tasteless, tactless, insensitive, disgusting and anything but a tribute or honor to the memory of those that died. It's the worst kind of voyeurism.

Actually, it's also educational and historical. I didn't know about a lot of those crashes until I saw this video. At least now I've also seen 'the other side of motorsport' as well on a respectful and fitting way.

Rest In Peace.

Fatal Crash Compilation
(133 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG