The online racing simulator
MRT P-38 Lightning
(10 posts, started )
MRT P-38 Lightning
Greetings, all. This is my first attempt at a skin. I started just doodling around and it ended up taking on a P-38 Lightning (WW2 fighter plane) theme, so I went with it.

I feel like it's still missing something though, perhaps just some decals, but I'd love to hear some feedback and suggestions.

(P.S. The pinup girl is called "Slightly Dangerous". I felt like it applied (to my driving).) :P
Attached images
P38Lightning_preview.jpg
P38Lightning_preview2.jpg
It's nice, and it's about one of my favourite planes
Dont have any comment on it, to me it's ok as it is.
So how i add 12.7mm gun pods to mrt? Cant find the option in setup menu!
The only thing I don't quite like is the LFS logo on the back, it doesn't really fit the rest of the skin.
Well, tinkered around with it some more. I decided I'd spent enough time painting the car and not enough driving it, so I'm calling this one finished.

I've never been a huge fan of airplanes, but ever since I saw the show "The Lost Squadron" on the History Channel about the P-38, I've been fascinated by it. In the process of making this skin I looked at a lot of photos and learned a few things as well...

The black & white striping on this and other WW2 planes was a special paint scheme specifically for D-Day, to make it easier for Allies to recognize their own planes and prevent friendly fire. The blue (or other colored) square (or circle, triangle, etc.) on the tail of the plane was an indication of the plane's squadron.

Just some of the reasoning behind my color choices there. Anyways... less typing, more racing. I'm saving this skin for personal use in a league, but I appreciate the comments and hope some of you enjoy it anyways.

very nice, I saw your pin up girl and did a double take, my first skin was also done with a warbird theme and it seems we both came about the same picture online. I suppose great minds think alike (; I noticed you have a very cool texture for the bare metal. I hope you don't mind if i update mine

I didnt go into as much accuracy as you did but mine is loosly based on color schemes I've seen on B-17 Bombers and P-51Ds.

P.S. sorry about pic quality Iv'e only been playing a week and I haven't figured out how to get good screen shots yet
Attached images
Project1.png
Project2.png
A very good skin!
It looks like it's ready to fly.
One of the best jobs I've seen at taking a retro WWII plane theme and placing it on one of the most unique cars in Live for Speed.
RedBeard, if you're using Photoshop, the bare metal is just a simple "brushed aluminum" effect. I filled the body with a medium-dark gray, then use the Add Noise filter, then do a motion blur on it. Afterwards you may adjust the contrast/brightness, etc. if it doesn't suit you. Funny that we found the same pinup girl.

Thanks for the comments all. I had fun making my first skin and look forward to doing more in the future.

Also, I should give credit to Master Skinnerz for the Pro-Kit template.. it made things a whole lot easier. And to this guy for the stencil font I used on the letters/numbers: http://www.dafont.com/usaaf-stencil.font.
Looks good maybe you could use the Master Skinnerz rivet as well next time, used it on my LX skin.. came out pretty good
#9 - PlusP
Quote from neo-truth :Greetings, all. This is my first attempt at a skin. I started just doodling around and it ended up taking on a P-38 Lightning (WW2 fighter plane) theme, so I went with it.

I feel like it's still missing something though, perhaps just some decals, but I'd love to hear some feedback and suggestions.

(P.S. The pinup girl is called "Slightly Dangerous". I felt like it applied (to my driving).) :P

Great Job! I love the cannon ports in the nose.

I play IL2 when I'm not playing LFS and have been fiddling around with various paint schemes modeled after P-47's / P-51's / P-40's. I never thought of trying my designs on the MRT though. It looks right.

I have a lot "shark's mouth" images. They all look good when pasted in 2-D, but the reflections/shine in 3-D washes them out too much. I figure I'll have to sit down one day and draw 'em myself instead of trying to resize and paste .jpg's. I know...lazy on my part.

If anyone has a decent WWII "shark's mouth design (or tips on making it look right in 3-D), please let me know.

Keep 'em coming.
that girl gets around! This was my first or second skin.
Attached images
N68826.jpg

MRT P-38 Lightning
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG