The online racing simulator
Higher FPS
(32 posts, started )
Higher FPS
What is the best way to get a higher FPS? Is it by buying a new videocard for the graphics, or is it better to buy a new processor because of all the calculations made? Like tire temperature and that sort of things?

Thanks in advance,

Frost_More
cpu id say, what specs are you using atm?
I use a:

Processor: Pentium 4 2.6 GHZ
Ram: 1024 GB
Videocard: Nvidia Geforce 5200 Ultra 128 MB
for sure a new videocard! it's one of the slowest on the market
Very true, thats why I needed to know because If that doesn't help well...

My videocard is about 3/4 years old right now never replaced it really...
what is your budget ? probably your still use an "AGP" slot. i think a "AGP ATI Radeon 1950 PRO" would be a great upgrade for your pc.

You need to know if your using AGP or PCI-e or it will not fit
Quote from SinneD :for sure a new videocard! it's one of the slowest on the market

Its not even on the market anymore

Quote from SinneD :what is your budget ? probably your still use an "AGP" slot. i think a "AGP ATI Radeon 1950 PRO" would be a great upgrade for your pc.

You need to know if your using AGP or PCI-e or it will not fit

GF5200 is AGP, that ATI card should be nice but his CPU might be a bottleneck. :o
Yea I use AGP 8x =( KInda sucky but I don't know really about ATI cards never really used them...

What do you guys suggest for a good videocard around 140/150 euro?
Quote from Frost_More :Yea I use AGP 8x =( KInda sucky but I don't know really about ATI cards never really used them...

What do you guys suggest for a good videocard around 140/150 euro?

6600gt AGP version... Very fast it runs all games that ive owned.

and on lfs i got always 100 fps sometimes it even goes to 150 max.

and if you really want an speed go for the 6800GT
hmm I will look around fior the 6600, I saw some 7xxx for 150 or less aren't these better?

And the 6800 GT Card isn't available for the AGP version I heard...?
When looking at the processor, there are differences between AMD and Intel. Intel has up to date more cache then AMD offers. I heard somewhere, that LFS runs better with more cache at the same frequency. Can this be confirmed or not?

As we are running towards a new price drop by the end of July, I was thinking or better planing on buying a new system. The only question is, AMD or Intel? Concerning the power and price, a Intel System OC'ed beats AMD. Not OC'ed AMD would be my choice. Also, as one living right next to AMD's production hall I would also like to see them go on with business, so another point for AMD.
My Frame Rate?
Hi i was wondering if everyone could help me.i have a Pentium 4 3.0GHz with 533FSB,512MB DDR400 ram,80GIG SATA hard drive and 128MB on-board graphics.my problem is i never get more than 30FPS is this about right or what i dont know cause i was speak to someone with an AMD and he said his frame rate was 150+ .any help would be great thanks
When im going for a whole new system I will get the Intel Core 2 Duo, probally the 6800, but that is not very likely... I'm not that rich
I got a very nice AGP card in my rig. Gainward Bliss 7800 GS+ 512mb But that will be a bit overkill for you system. I would go for a 6800 or 7600 i think. Have no idea about the prices atm though.
Yea I saw a nice card 7600 GS with 256 MB DDR3 card, Thats would be a nice card I think. Its 139 euro.
It's gotta be the lfs benchmark for that kind of info:

http://lfsbench.iron.eu.org/?c=completemax

PERSONALLY, I think an average of over 70 on the benchmark is acceptable but you can change detail levels in game and everyones idea of good is different.

You can see from the benchmark that cpu power is what is needed. AMD systems are the best value for money but intel rules the top spots. AMD graphics are the fastest with lfs. Having said that, i've got and intel and an nvidia and still have >90fps average.

Generally speaking for lfs.

Core2 > AMD > Pentium 4.

Pentium 4 really does suffer in lfs nowadays

Frost_more: If you get a gfx card, your cpu will be a terrible bottleneck, you aren't going to know for sure until you install it but I think as long as you are currently playing in 1024x768 with no aa or af, you wont see much increase in performance. The crucial thing is that the cpu will still cause the same MINIMUM framerate which for gaming is all important.
i dont see the problem with 30fps....its nice, its probably all the same as 100....i got a 1.66Ghz AMD Turion 2x cache, 896 RAM, 258mb graphics, and i get lovely 30fps, and 60-70 on single player, i feel its all the same, i need some more RAM though...
That's partly to do with how the AMD handles lfs. The minimum framerate is probably 30, very close to the average.

The pentiums peak and dip a lot more, meaning you might get 30fps average but it sometime goes up to 45, sometimes down to 15, which isn't good at the first corner of WE1 : )

Also as I said, everyone's idea of good is different. 30fps seems almost like a slideshow to me as I'm used to 100fps.

If you want to get higher fps, the thing to do is to run the lfs benchmark so you can compare your system to others properly, then you can make informed decisions about what hardware is needed.
Run Task Manager and kill all the extraneous processes that are grabbing CPU cycles. Type the process name into Internet Explorer and most come back with an explanation and whether they can be safely terminated. Switch off Windows Auto Update (do it manually) and AV updaters etc. Stop the print spooler etc. while you're playing LFS. All these grab processor power.

I did this and saw good FPS recovery for free (although I did upgrade my machine later).
Quote from mcgas001 :Hi i was wondering if everyone could help me.i have a Pentium 4 3.0GHz with 533FSB,512MB DDR400 ram,80GIG SATA hard drive and 128MB on-board graphics.my problem is i never get more than 30FPS is this about right or what i dont know cause i was speak to someone with an AMD and he said his frame rate was 150+ .any help would be great thanks

Graphics is your bottle neck, but how much u wanna spend?
Budget: Ati 9600/9700
Mid Range: Nv 6600gt

probably not worth going any higher as your cpu will hold u back
Quote from anttt69 :Graphics is your bottle neck, but how much u wanna spend?
Budget: Ati 9600/9700
Mid Range: Nv 6600gt

probably not worth going any higher as your cpu will hold u back

You can get a 6800 also for that system. Will be a bit better then the 6600 imo.
IMO you shouldn't spend more than 100e on the video card as the processor will be the bottleneck anyways. And there is no use of replacing only the processor, it would be CPU+motherboard+memory+video card.
True but, the processor isn't that bad... right?
I once upgraded from a Radeon 9550 to a GF6800, except for allowing higher resolutions and lots more AA/AF the new card didn't boost performance/fps at all. CPU was an Intel Celeron D @ 3Ghz.

Higher FPS
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG