The online racing simulator
Engine rev limiter and heating
(22 posts, started )
Hello,
I've been thinking about this for a while and i believe this have been posted before.. or not.

Most engines manufactured by Scavier revs WAY too much. For eg. XFG does about 10.5k rpm which is totally nuts for some stock 1.3 liter engine, or UF1 which makes it up to 8.2k or smth on 1 liter engine. Compare that to Honda civic with 1.6 liter dohc vtec (smth about 164hp?). It does 8.2k rpm too but hondas ar known as high reving machines. Most of the others peak out at 6000-7500 rpm range.

So what i'm trying to suggest is that rev limiters should kick in somewhere around power peak and not a couple of thousands higher. That'd bring some more realism to this already outstanding sim And of course zone above rev limiter should be extremely unhealthy for the engine. That would prevent shifting fron 6th to 2nd instantly in braking zones.

Also when engine heat will be modeled adjustable shift light would be usefull. You could adjust it to lower revs for longer races or higher for short ones. It's all on your risk and trust on engine durability.

Express your feelings, please
#2 - garph
Quote from marsaz :Express your feelings, please

I'm feeling quite full at the moment, just had a bacon sandwich with mayo and cheese...and some of the spicy sauce as well, very tasty.

There is another thread some where on better/worse engine and suspension damage and how it would affect things as well that you might fine interesting in this section I think.

Isn't this more of an improvement suggestion?
The cars rev too high yes, and the limiters are too high yes, and engine damage is only really noticeable if you downshift from 6th to 2nd on BL Straight yes, but this is all being worked on (I hope )

I kinda like the high-revving engines, they tend to scream more
Quote from VTiRoj :engine damage is only really noticeable if you downshift from 6th to 2nd on BL Straight

I can do that without revving higher then 4000RPM....
There is definitely something wrong with engine revs, you can go way past the peak power in the lx6 in 6th gear which doesn't make any sense at all.
Quote from southamptonfc :There is definitely something wrong with engine revs, you can go way past the peak power in the lx6 in 6th gear which doesn't make any sense at all.

Doesn't it? Care to expand? Or are you misinformed again?
you are a very annoying petty little man. I can't remember the last time you posted anything friendly. If you don't undestand what I'm taking about I suggest you simply ignore it.
#8 - Ian.H
While the revs are funky.. I was able to scream a 1.1 Ford Fiesta (Mk1) to about 7,800rpm and push it all the way to about 98mph! heh... although the peak output was way below that (probably closer to 5,200)... that's how engines work.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from southamptonfc :you are a very annoying petty little man. I can't remember the last time you posted anything friendly. If you don't undestand what I'm taking about I suggest you simply ignore it.

Cars can accelerate past peak power in top gear. Therefore there is nothing wrong with LFS in this regard. Therefore what you posted was wrong. Despite my little dig pointing this out, you have still failed to realise you are wrong, therefore I conclude you are/were misinformed.
Most car engines could be revved a fair bit higher before blowing up/even sustaining damage, if it weren't for the presence of a limiter.
Quote from Bob Smith :Most car engines could be revved a fair bit higher before blowing up/even sustaining damage, if it weren't for the presence of a limiter.

yes they could, but they are limiter for a reason. You can't simply drive a car around some track hitting full revs in each gear and expect it to last for hours
Quote from marsaz :yes they could, but they are limiter for a reason. You can't simply drive a car around some track hitting full revs in each gear and expect it to last for hours

It depends on the car...
I'd love to see torque curves displayed for the cars, that would put an end to this debate I'm sure.
Quote from southamptonfc :I'd love to see torque curves displayed for the cars, that would put an end to this debate I'm sure.

That would be booring
Southamptonfc - you never replied to my statement about cars accelerating past peak power in top gear. I'd like you to, because I'd like to know why you think it shouldn't happen.

And it doesn't reduce the conversation at all because a lot of real cars rev and accelerate quite happily with no damage WAY past peak power.
tristancliffe I love you
dat would be a really good idea..it would sound mad for drifting
Quote from southamptonfc :I'd love to see torque curves displayed for the cars, that would put an end to this debate I'm sure.

Hunt around the forums, I've already gathered the curves and posted them on the forum somewhere.

Edit: here
Quote from tristancliffe :Cars can accelerate past peak power in top gear. Therefore there is nothing wrong with LFS in this regard. Therefore what you posted was wrong. Despite my little dig pointing this out, you have still failed to realise you are wrong, therefore I conclude you are/were misinformed.

<shitstirring>...but he didn't say that cars can't accelerate past peak power, but that it doesn't make any sense to do as much. You may argue over the meaning of the word "any" if you wish....</shitstirring>
In that case why doesn't he just sort his gear ratios out?
Quote from southamptonfc :you are a very annoying petty little man. I can't remember the last time you posted anything friendly. If you don't undestand what I'm taking about I suggest you simply ignore it.

Despite the fact that Tristan and I are now friends, I agree with you completely.

Are you still coming over to watch The Birdcage this weekend, Tristy, or are you going to be too busy making over 7,000 posts on an internet forum dedicated to a computer game and inhabited predominantly by spoiled British children?
Nah, this weekend I'm busy. Got a racing car to prepare, a house to renovate, a girlfriend to keep happy, and all the other day to day chores one has to do. Sorry if I manage to find time in my hectic schedule to know more about cars/engines than southamptonfc.

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG