The online racing simulator
What graphics card to get !? :)
(32 posts, started )
Look guys, basically I can just repeat what has been said: CPU is the most important factor for LFS.

BUT there is one special case where this is not true. And that is when the GFX card doesn't support HVS. And this is the case here, so upgrading the GFX card will be a much higher benefit for a much lower cost, because even a measily 9600 would suffice to fulfill the HVS requirement.

A 6600GT is probably too much for his rig, especially if he doesn't plan to update the other components in the next time, too.

A 9600 would be good enough for LFS, that's for sure, but I think he wouldn't be too happy with the 10% time he plays other games.

A 9800 Pro is probably the best choice IF he wants to play other "newer" games too. If the remaining 10% time is spent on Sim City 3, Civilization or something similar, then the 9600 would be more than enough.
My system didnt cost that much, but its fine for running LS2 and half life 2 etc. I am getting frame rates of about 60ish if i remember correctly. Only been playing for 1 day. I have a athlon 2500+ with 1gb ram and geforce 6600gt. At the moment its not overclocked but will OC it when i get home tomorrow. Will post the before and after results.

Buy your parts for your system bit by bit, as you can afford them. You will proberbly end up with a better system than "throwing it in the bin and buying a new computer"!!
Hi

I've been away on project leadership for a few days training and I came back to this

I must say, I have already bought a Radeon 9600 PRO. I don't get any slowdown at the start anymore and I run 6xAA and 16xAF - I could not run any of those before. In addition, almost everything is turned way up in the graphics part + I got a card that is dx9 compatible, not only dx7... The starts are not a problem anymore - no slowdowns. I am quite satisfied I really don't know what I would do with a better card :/ or a better cpu.

Half-Life 2 I already played long time ago and it ran just fine...

Seahorse - Your comments are not welcome in this thread anymore - they do nothing but insult me!!!!! :mad: You are simply... stupid!!

For the rest of you. Thank you I did not manage to buy a better card, but I think this one is OK for a year or so, until LFS gets a graphics workover or smth.

See you on the track

P.S. What is hvs?
9600 pro id say is your best option anyway but id turn the graphics options down to a minimum, especially if you play any first person shooters.

seahorse is right, saying it in a friendly or agressive tone dosent change its truth.
grats to your new "toy"

Quote : P.S. What is hvs?

hardware vertex shading
some transistors in the chip made for a speziall job.
more...
The GF2 / GF4mx were the last nvidia without this feature.
also standard in ati cards for a long time.

In LFS you can set it on/off in options/graphics to see the performance difference.
Well, I manage with 2,5GHz Celeron with disgustingly poor motherboard and 9200 budget-ati. Just tune graphics level if it bogs. But the again, I've been playing since 80's so I'm more into playability and contents than graphical looks. (It also builds patience and character Sure it's grand if lfs looks great, but what's (a way) more important is the feeling. Don't know if current configuration will cause lower fps with more than 8 racers, but so far no problems encountered..
I play lfs with 3.0ghz pentium 4 and shitty integrated radeon 9100 graphics. Performance is just fine, even with 2xAA and 2xAF... 30+ fps all the time...

What graphics card to get !? :)
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG