The online racing simulator
With or Without Clutch?
(23 posts, started )
With or Without Clutch?
I have a question for the community, I see most people drive and use the clutch. I use a keyboard myself and I never use the clutch really, when your using the clutch to gear up do you gear up faster? Wich makes you al ittle bit faster each lap, or is it just for the realism?

Thanks in advance ^^

Frost
Manual clutch doesn't make you any faster, but it surely is much more fun.
#3 - Gil07
I use the L1 button on my gamepad as the clutch.
Quote from hrtburnout :Manual clutch doesn't make you any faster, but it surely is much more fun.

Thanks that was something I wished to know ^^. I will definiatly going to use it when I get my wheel.
Manual clutch only makes sense if you have 1) a wheel and 2) a pedal set including a clutch pedal. Even then it's affecting mostly the immersion and not speed, because the situations where a clutch really helps you are of minimal impact at best. You're on keyboard so don't bother.
Quote :Manual clutch doesn't make you any faster, but it surely is much more fun.

I think that's debatable, and dependant on which class of car you're driving. I've seen experienced drivers here mention that they are, in fact, slightly faster when using manual clutch. I couldn't say myself, I've always used the clutch in the roadcars. I don't in GTR cars (except on the starting grid and when pulling out of the pits) and singleseaters, though.
Depending on the track, on tracks with many large braking areas, I'm faster using a clutch, I can get a good amount of engine braking, and its noticeable, I can brake 25-75m later then anyone else

But even if it WAS slowing me down, i wouldnt care. Its nicee to use. and Godly for drag. IF you use it right
25-75m sounds like a HUGE exageration.

I use to drive with manual clutch ever since May 2003 but switched to autoclutch some time ago, probably last year.
how can manual clutch be faster? You have to push it in, then shift. With autoclutch, you push one button and it does everything for you. Can someone please explain what they mean?
#10 - CSU1
Manual clutch won't get you better times but what about when you get into trouble guy's?....if you find yourself struggling in low rev's, in that split second you can open the clutch a bit to get the revs and torque back up
Quote from CSU1 :Manual clutch won't get you better times but what about when you get into trouble guy's?....if you find yourself struggling in low rev's, in that split second you can open the clutch a bit to get the revs and torque back up

You can drive autoclutch and still have the clutch assigned to your clutch pedal, so there shouldn't be any issue there.
#12 - CSU1
Quote from LRB_Aly :You can drive autoclutch and still have the clutch assigned to your clutch pedal, so there shouldn't be any issue there.

Yes...I know, I was just pointing out how using the clutch will get you out of trouble....rather than loose two seconds you may only use one if you use it right.
Well,
I am using manual clutch already for some time. And one thing is for sure - it does not make you faster, although you can have a better feeling while racing. Heel-toe is also beautiful when you practise it a bit. Speed wise, I am more prone to mis-shifts, as in the heat of a race it is very easy to release the clutch sooner than the gear "clicks" into position (with ACT shifter). Also, during the starts I am painfully slow, as usually I engage fist gear, and keep the clutch pressed. But releasing it can never be as fast as releasing a button...(or maybe I am just really crappy at it ).
Quote :But releasing it can never be as fast as releasing a button...(or maybe I am just really crappy at it ).

Actually, that's fairly realistic. If you look at the response times that you can achieve with your hands, compared to your feet, your hands will almost always be faster. You can find this to be true in how fast you can react to a green light on a motorcycle when compared to how fast you can step on the gas in a car. Simply put, the impulses reach your hands and back to your brain that much faster, also it's more natural to use your hands to activate controls

Don't get me wrong though, ask anyone in Taikwondo (sp?) and they can become just as quick with their feet as with their hands. Just takes retraining your brain a bit.
Quote from Frost_More :I use a keyboard myself and I never use the clutch really

I think you'll find you use the clutch for everyshift (because you have auto-clutch turned on), clutchless shifts are possible in LFS but rev matching isn't as quick as just using the clutch and keeping the throttle nailed and the revs through the roof (seeing as we have no real punishment for mechanical abuse).
Clutch is a necessity in starts, hold handbrake while letting clutch slip just before lights go green usually gives you a "jump" start over others when done right, no unnecessary wheelspin, only optimum acceleration.
if you use manual clutch on button it's much faster then automatic for all road cars! But you need to find in options regeneration of buttons and play whit it. There is no use for slick cars, cuz it is same fast or slower
I have started to use the clutch. Before I done it every now and again, but couldnt really get the hand of heal-toe so it was pants.

But now...

I was bored and tried it and my new technique rules

I have wide-ish feet, so I leave my right foot to control the throttle and I put my left foot in the middle of the clutch and brake and press them both down when shifting and just press the brake with Mr. Left when I only need to brake
I use my manual clutch on all cars but: FXR, XRR, FZR, UFR, and BF1 (of course).
Lets not forget that LFS is a racing sim. correct? Therefore if you are serious about the game you should be using the manual clutch.
I agree, only its hard for me and other keyboard users to use the Clutch. It is much more easy when you have a wheel I guess....
#22 - Jakg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I can brake 25-75m later then anyone else

Coming down into T1 of KY2 i'm easily over 100 MPH, and brake just before the 100 M board, i'd love to be able to break at the 25 M board
well im using kb, i just used manual clutch ever since i first started so i wouldnt even know what auto is like.

wouldnt have it any other way.

With or Without Clutch?
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG