The online racing simulator
Dale Earndhart Junior signs into Hendrick Motorsports for 2008
Quote from Joe Menzer- NASCAR.com :Hendrick flirtation brought Junior to the realization
Relationship pieces were there; we just didn't see
By Joe Menzer, NASCAR.COM
June 12, 2007
05:57 PM EDT

type size: + -

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- They said it didn't mean a thing.

But then, don't they always say that at the beginning of a friendly but flirtatious relationship?

When an angry Kyle Busch stormed off and left the crewmates of his No. 5 Hendrick Motorsports team hanging toward the end of the Samsung 500 at Texas Motor Speedway earlier this year, one of the Hendrick team members sought out good friend Dale Earnhardt Jr. and asked him to pilot the car for the final nine laps. Already knocked out of the race in his current No. 8 Chevrolet, Earnhardt readily agreed -- then insisted afterward that it meant nothing.

Send Joe your thoughts

Well, maybe it didn't seem so at the time even to the key players. But whatever spark was ignited that day appears to have developed into a full-time romance with the legs to go a long, long way.

As Tuesday progressed, it became more and more apparent Earnhardt was headed to drive for Hendrick Motorsports in 2008 and beyond -- likely taking Busch's place on a star-studded roster of drivers that currently comprises the best race operation in the business. Earnhardt has scheduled an 11 a.m. ET news conference Wednesday at his JR Motorsports shop in Mooresville, N.C., where he is expected to make it official.

Just think of the possibilities. Team owner Rick Hendrick no doubt already has had some mighty fine dreams about them.

Together on one Nextel Cup team: Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Earnhardt and, yes, the suddenly solid and no longer forgotten Casey Mears.

The odd man out is Busch, a talented driver but petulant young man who learned the hard way that sometimes saying and doing the right things in Nextel Cup today are as much or more important than driving faster than the rest of the field -- especially when said driver lacks the patience to turn fast laps into victories without angering all those around him.

Hendrick is where many said Junior would end up from the start. On May 10, when Earnhardt announced he was leaving Dale Earnhardt Inc. and essentially becoming the most high-profile free agent in his sport's history, former driver and current television analyst Darrell Waltrip predicted that Hendrick would be the ultimate match for the free bird.

"If I was in Junior's shoes, there are two owners I would be very interested in driving for: Rick Hendrick and Richard Childress," Waltrip said at the time. "Childress makes sense because his dad drove for him -- but maybe it doesn't make sense if you think about the big picture."

What Waltrip meant was that the shadow of Junior's father might be too great at Richard Childress Racing. That's why he thought Junior and Hendrick eventually would hook up.

"Rick Hendrick will take care of you. He'll treat you like a son. That would be important to me," Waltrip said.

Since the big picture Tuesday included the fact that Richard Childress was off hunting somewhere in New Zealand, that pretty much ruled out once and for all the fact that the younger Earnhardt was going to join RCR.

Junior leaving DEI

Dale Earnhardt Jr. announced he will leave Dale Earnhardt Inc. at the end of this season.
Complete Coverage, click here

You have to wonder how much of an impact, if at all, the recent Childress engine-shop merger with DEI, where Earnhardt had just executed a difficult departure, had on the entire negotiation process. Once it was announced that Childress and DEI would share engine-shop technology and presumably lots of other trade secrets over time, it seemed that if Junior went with Childress it wouldn't quite be the clean break from DEI that he wished it to be.

Since Joe Gibbs Racing made it clear that it wouldn't accept Budweiser as a sponsor -- and since it always has been assumed that Budweiser will follow Earnhardt wherever he goes -- that left Hendrick where he seems to have been this entire Nextel Cup season no matter what the event: in the driver's seat. Only this time he was left in the driver's seat of contract negotiations with the sport's most marketable star, despite the fact that it has been well over a year now since Earnhardt has won a race.

Kyle Busch won one earlier this year, capturing the Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway in the very first race featuring the Car of Tomorrow. Then Busch thoroughly embarrassed the venerable Hendrick in the way he bashed anything and everything to do with the COT -- the very car that everyone must learn to drive in the coming months and years.

Add to that some other incidents that did not sit too well with those in the Hendrick organization -- storming off when there were laps to be made in Texas, crashing with older brother Kurt Busch and then dodging the media after the All-Star Challenge at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte -- and suddenly Kyle Busch, even with all his enormous potential, seemed all too expendable.

After his wreck with big brother Kurt and yet another relatively unrepentant session with the media a few days later, where he tried to say the right things and still came off as being half-hearted about it at best, Kyle's driving style was discussed by several other drivers in the garage.

"Kyle is aggressive and Kyle tends to err on the side of [being] aggressive instead of passive, that's for sure," fellow driver Jeff Burton said at the time. "His aggressive nature certainly has put him in some positions he might not have been in -- and at the same time, that aggressive nature has put him in that car. It's a Catch-22."

Not anymore -- because now he is on his way out of that car, sources having indicated to NASCAR.COM on Tuesday that Busch will be released early from the Hendrick contract that was to have run through the 2008 season.

It will be interesting now to see where Busch ends up. Some think it could be DEI, which obviously is looking for a high-profile, top-notch driver to replace Earnhardt. Having the two basically swap organizations and cars certainly would make for some of the fine drama for which NASCAR has become so famous.

Incidentally, Busch has not been alone in bashing the COT. Earnhardt has had some harsh words for it, too, and so have several others, including Gordon. But Earnhardt has become more polished with each passing year and knows how to play the politics game of NASCAR, much the way the gifted Gordon does. They speak their minds without alienating their fans, or upsetting their sponsors.

Earnhardt also can drive a little bit. Critics like to harp on the fact that he's not his daddy -- and he's not. But you can't win 17 Cup races, as Earnhardt has, without having some driving talent to back up whatever equipment you're in.

In the last two years, Earnhardt began to feel that DEI couldn't put him in the best equipment in the business. Hendrick can.

Both Earnhardt and Hendrick hunger to win races and championships. Now they are ready to embark on a marriage that should help them both get what they want, even if they at first failed to recognize the romance that began blossoming in Texas last April.

I thought I would never see something like this happen, but Junior will soon become the teammate of Gordon, Johnson, and Mears.
aarhgggh not even stayed on his home team DEI should be very angry about it..... whats so bad about it?
DEI isnt very angry about it, Teresa Earnhardt denied Jr. a chance for majority ownership of the team and she treated him as just another driver instead of a family member and a leader. And I am actually happy that Jr. is going to Hendrick next near, I juts would have never seen it coming
Quote from bpoese :In the eyes of the fans (at least mine) Earnhardt and Gordon on the same Team is like Jesus and Satan sharing an apartment... No matter which driver you prefer...

I totally agree ,

But i still think they can get along , Both Very fast drivers
NASCAR ~ Pro Wrestling
I can't wait to see what happens next year at Taladega. Now the fans will throw cans at Jr instead of Jeff gordon. lol.

Actually, a little toy I have may have been telling me of a thing to come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik6DO0LUfxY
A dale JR voice defect on a Jeff gordon car...could be a sign to them coming together.

Got it a few years ago for Christmas.
#7 - th84
Quote from bpoese :Hey... I wonder if we put a crowd of rabid Gordon fans and Earnhardt fans in the infield all at the same time if we'd get a Soccer Stadium style riot??? lol

No, that wouldnt happen. All the Gordon fans would run like girls.
Quote from bpoese :In the eyes of the fans (at least mine) Earnhardt and Gordon on the same Team is like Jesus and Satan sharing an apartment... No matter which driver you prefer...

Most of the Gordan fans are welcoming Jr into the Hendrick organization, while many of the Jr Nation believe it's the end of the world.

I think a lot comes down to how he and his future crew chief mesh together, but I think it should be good for everyone involved.
Quote from Forbin :NASCAR ~ Pro Wrestling

Shut the hell up will ya? I don't follow NASCAR either but to post such asinine comments in order to get a rise out of people is incredibly childish. What are you, nine years old?
Quote from Lateralus :Shut the hell up will ya? I don't follow NASCAR either but to post such asinine comments in order to get a rise out of people is incredibly childish. What are you, nine years old?

Not my words. Wouldn't be surprised if they're true, though.

"Stewart says NASCAR rigged like wrestling."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18312037/
Quote from Forbin :Not my words.

That is irrelevant. You chose to post them in this thread in order to troll.

Take your trolling and stuff it man. Say something productive or insightful, otherwise keep quiet.
Irrelevent? Is it not possible that Dale Jr.'s team change is a pre-planned move by NASCAR officials to change things up a bit and make things a bit more exciting, getting people to talk about NASCAR?
Ok, Dale Earnhardt left because he never NEVER got along with teresa. This was not exactly a "predetermined" plan.

1. Dale Earnhardt was going to go to Joe Gibbs. But in order to get into Gibbs J.J Yeley had to be fired. Tony Steward didnt want that and besides Yeley got the pole the next race. So obviously they decided to keep him

2. Kyle Busch did HORRIBLE. In fact so bad you'd think he never drove NASCAR before. therefore, Hendrick said "ok we'll fire busch and get jr. mabey then we could do a little better.

Right this move was "predetermined", and Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson got sent to the back was also "predetermined". -_- While ur at it, why not say that the late caution flag that got Jeff Gordon his win was also "predetermined".

Nascar couldn't care less about what goes on in the sport. They already have too much to do monitoring around 65 cars entries each season
Quote from Forbin :Irrelevent? Is it not possible that Dale Jr.'s team change is a pre-planned move by NASCAR officials to change things up a bit and make things a bit more exciting, getting people to talk about NASCAR?

That's just dumb.
And no, it is not possible.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG