The online racing simulator
PCI Latency Tool - A Must Have
(16 posts, started )
Hi All,

Maybe old but not sure. I come across this handy little tool. Apparently most new upto date cards hog your PCI Latency for no reason. With this little tool, you can manually change this setting.

PLEASE NOTE, AGP CARDS DOES HAVE LATENCY SETTINGS, PCI-E DOES NOT.

STEP 1. open the pci latency tool
STEP 2. Rightclick on your graphics card and click change setting(s)
STEP 3. change to desired setting and hit ok
Step 4. click settings and select apply at startup so it has a tick next to it
STEP 5. click settings and select save so everything you have just done is saved
STEP 6. right click on your video card and click quickset latency (if you want to set it straight away).

Set your Latency to 64. I must admit, everything is really smoothed out alot, including the sound.

Just thought I would share this little finding.

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :Set your Latency to 64. I must admit, everything is really smoothed out alot, including the sound.

Hmmm - it was set to more than 64 before on your system?
By default it is set to 256. This is not Aperture size, but PCI Latency
#4 - ORION
Using 0ms on both my notebook and Desktop PC for about half a year now
Quote from Fordman :By default it is set to 256. This is not Aperture size, but PCI Latency

Mine is set to 32. What exactly does it DO?
Quote from 3DGuru Forums :This version of the PCI Latency Tool is compatible with Windows XP x64. You must be logged in as an administrator for the tool to install. Most devices support latency values which are multiples of 8 (which means any other value will be rounded).

AGP video cards DO have PCI Latency timers. PCI Express cards DO NOT have PCI Latency timers.

This tweak is an important one, and one well worth checking into. Apparently, newer high-end video cards hog PCI latency for no known reason. This makes other components wait for access and causes stutters and thus lower frame rates. If you adjust the latency this might benefit you, users are reporting big improvements.

You can download this small utility program that allows you set your PCI latency. Adjust the PCI latency from for example 248 to 64, and there's a very good chance of stutter free performance & sound

See Above
#7 - Gunn
I have to say, I think that adjustment really does make a difference. I got a noticeable boost in frame rate, but the most noticeable effect was that the frame rate is now much more consistent (doesn't drop as often or as severely as before). I tested in both the FOX and the FZR (cockpit view for both, custom interior in the FZR) I will test this more tomorrow, but so far I so good. Thanks Fordman, a nice find. :up: :up:
Is it safe to do this to my S-ATA-controller or other things that use Latency?
Its doesn't Effect any other setting. Basically open the app, and then you will see your GFX card at the top. You are only changing the settings for your GFX card, nothing else. I also have a SATA and IDE drive connected.
You can change the latency for other stuff 2. I was wondering if it was safe to change the latency on those.
Set mine down from 32 to 0
Quote from Lautsprecher[NOR] :You can change the latency for other stuff 2. I was wondering if it was safe to change the latency on those.

Sorry, I wouldn't know, and tbh, would not want to try.

Quote from JamesF1 : Set mine down from 32 to 0

Is this better than 64? Mine was on 238.
I've gone from 256 to 64, and yes I think it has helped (I was VERY sceptical!). Not sure if I'm brave enough to go to 0, or even 32, just in case there is a reason for the defaults that I'm overlooking.

Also, I can't afford to risk melting anything. So 64 it is.

Nice find Shauny!
Quote from tristancliffe :Nice find Shauny!

Why thankyou Sir Cliff :bowdown:
None of my devices were higher than 32 already
I assume that this is a WinXP utility? I installed it on my Win98SE machine and got an error when trying to run it. I searched out and found another one that worked. PCI Latency 2.0. Don't know, may have just been the previous version that I found. Got it at download.com or something. Changed mine from 255 to 64, but didn't really notice any difference. But then again, I'm only running on 2 days now with the new gfx card.

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG