The online racing simulator
Skin
(12 posts, started )
Skin
i have some questions to ask.before patch x , normally we save other players's skins in skin_x folder . but now after updated to patch x , in demo server can't view other players's skin because it can't automatic download but actually before patch x i already save other player's skins . what happen ?
-
(andy29) DELETED by andy29
#2 - garph
Nothing has changed, you still put your own personal skins and other skins you manually downloaded into the the skins folder as before. You shouldn't have to do anything different.

People may have renamed their skins, that could be one possible reason why you can't see them.
garph, you are just plain wrong.

BEFORE X you could save others skins in the skins_x folder and see them while playing online.

AFTER X you have to put every and each downloaded skin in the skins folder. If you wish to see them.

Makes the skin list for the cars a nightmare and you are more likely to use a private skin by mistake.

IMO this change was a total blunder.
What? So what is skins_x for now, then?

My understanding was that everything was exactly the same, except now our skins were converted to dds and put in skins_dds, but other people's skins still went in skins_x
Yup, and skins_y for hi res - but I dont think LFS will automatically convert your skins_x folder to dds so you'll have to do the conversion manually in a paint program, or put them in the skins folder.

tbh, seeing each others skin online is an advantage of S2 - and just one of the many reasons you should pay £24 and forget about this gripe of yours .

EDIT: Um, you are S2 licenced... ?
#6 - garph
Quote from March Hare :garph, you are just plain wrong.

How can I be wrong if you said the exact same thing I did?

There are various improvements related to skins including the option to download high resolution skins while online, for a small charge of £1 for 2000 downloads. The low resolution downloads are still free. We have to charge for the downloading of high resolution skins because of the increased bandwidth and the need to buy and maintain more internet servers for LFS online usage which is always increasing. Please note, we are not selling skins. The skins remain the property of their owners. Your copy is a high resolution compressed version of the original. This is a charge purely for the downloading service which allows you to see other cars' skins in higher resolution.

Downloaded skins are now always saved and shown in compressed form. The original jpg is not saved on other computers. This allows the best use of memory and the quickest load from disk.

To use your own jpg skins, or to view skins that you manually download, save them into your skins folder - you will then find them selectable in game, just as before. You can see your manually downloaded skins compressed or not compressed according to the option for local skins. There are now 4 skins folders but you can ignore them all, just forget about them and just use the skins folder as usual.

skins : you save jpg skins that you want to select in game
skins_dds : lfs uses this to store dds (compressed) versions of your local skins
skins_x : lfs stores automatically downloaded low res skins
skins_y : lfs stores automatically downloaded high res skins
after i installed patch X i found skins_y and skins_dds.......god knows
Did you even read the post above yours, or the patch X release thread pearcy? Honestly...
i found that if we save other player's skin like jpeg in skin_x folder..it won't show the skin when in multiplayer.have to convert the skin to other format.am i right ? if yes , how to convert to that format ? what is the format type/name ?
This can be a little bit of a chore, but you must save the skins into the skins folder, start LFS to let the skins convert to dds, exit LFS, remove the skins from the skins folder, and stick them in the skins_x folder. Problem solved, and you dont have to risk using someone else's skin.
Quote from MAGGOT :Did you even read the post above yours, or the patch X release thread pearcy? Honestly...

LOL i usually read the first few posts and skip the really big ones
...and bump month-old threads

Skin
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG