The online racing simulator
have your setups gone bad since patch??
(19 posts, started )
#1 - Gizz
duno about you guys but most if not all me sets have gone out the window since the patch, the back end is all over the shop, obviously i have took into acount the new preload set that to "0" and the problem still persisted, played with it since patch and no joy..

the one thing that baffles me is i was getting a ton of oversteer on power on out of corners witch i obviously put down to the diff but on high speed (flat out) corners the back just lets go and violently at that.

i never stay with one setup anyway im always tweaking and after a while ill scrap the set and start again i find you learn more that way so im far from complaining more interested in why more than anything, ive basicly had to change all spring and shocker ratios just to keep it on the tarmac!..

anone alse found this?? and any therorys??
i got used to it with the tests.
Not noticed any differece here, and there shouldn't be (with zero pre-load anyway). The diff and maybe spring settigs do need to be adjusted a little to compensate.
Set the preload to 400 - 500 and your sets will automagically feel much better.
what is that, preload? how you do it?

thanks
If you set the preload to 400-500Nm it will behave almost like a locked diff most of the time
Quote from spyshagg :what is that, preload? how you do it?

Please use search, we already have plenty of threads about this
I've noticed slightly more understeer at turn in with the added preload. I dialled it out by reducing the coast locking slightly.
#8 - Gizz
Quote from Gentlefoot :I've noticed slightly more understeer at turn in with the added preload. I dialled it out by reducing the coast locking slightly.

this is strange im getting 110% the oposite effect? , its not just me because i had 3 drivers ask the same thing online last night 1 had the same as you gentlefoot.. very strange indeed

BOB: i fully agree with that and the springs too but i had to change a LOT, but some of that may have been me, if that was you you may have just added a touch of this or that, ya know how it is if you change the wrong thing you can be there for weeks lol the problem just moves somewhere else .... soooooo i duno just wondered if this was wide spread i gues
which car are we talking about anyway ?
I went on RR last night and everyone was saying, its hard to drive with the new preload.

The only difference I noted was a very slight snaking of the rear when under braking.
I cant say I have noticed any diference at all!

But I mostly run drift

Btw: One day I was on different servers and on some of them my setup suck'd (patch W)!
I could not hold the drift thru a whole turn (and I dont drift werry wide)!

Has not happend before of after that!
#12 - Gizz
Quote from Shotglass :which car are we talking about anyway ?

most effected seems to be the FOX and the one im having most trouble cureing.... anyway scrapped th set started work again from scratch
thats definitly odd the only change on the fox is the diff and if you set that to 0nm preload the car should behave exactly the same
are you absolutely sure that there is no change whatsoever on your set ?
#14 - Gizz
well the day before patch i was getting 1.8.60's with it consitantly hotlapping was getting 1.8.50, and the car was still pretty stable,

after patch i drove same config and couldnt do a lap then i rememberd the new preload so dropped that to "0" same thing came on here for info on preload and tried it between 400 and 500 still the same...

but as i say before i changed ANY suspension i had big problems with the rear end letting go, E.G final turn on blackwood is taken at full throtle through there, before the patch its was more than stable but after the patch it let go VERY VIOLENTLY no indication it was going what so ever...

now since ive started the set from scratch im finding that its easyer to catch slides and it generaly gives you a weeks notice for it does let go, so what the issues were before i have no idea...

then again online people are saying with after patch sets there are getting loads more rear grip, i carnt seem to find it though i have to say the rears are spinning up way to easy and causing loads of power on oversteer for me, oohh well at least it will keep me buisy, one thing about LFS it never gets boring that for sure
#15 - Gunn
My sets have needed tweaking, but not much. I never ran a locked diff though anyway and I don't use alien sets, I make my own. I'm running very low preload now on most cars, between 10 and 100. I like the new preload feature. I've always been fond of a bit of oversteer and the preload setting has improved some of my old sets after a bit of tweaking.

Throughout the evolution of LFS there have been several changes in physics that have rendered old sets obsolete or in need of adjustment. I've really enjoyed revisiting my setups on various tracks and tweaking them anew, and I've had quite a few PBs since X was released. I think for me the biggest win from X is the handling of the XRR. I used to think that car was ok but a bit of a chore to drive, it seems to respond better now and handling is a little more predictable.

Has anyone noticed any effect on tyre wear using the new diff preload?
#16 - Gizz
Gunn same here on the diff ive never used a locked diff except for once but didnt like that, and i refuse to race on "alien" sets as you put it, making your own sets is 60% of the game i think so i always make my own too.....

as for tire wear now ive calmed down the rear end tire wear does seem a little better imo withe the new PL, and i have mid corner understear atm and the fronts are still holding there own for a good few lapps, so imo there is a slight improvement...

I have only raced one night with patch X so far. I'm on break from LFS at the moment. The patch didn't pull the racers on during the US timezone as I thought it might. There's still only maybe 2-3 racing servers with enough connections for a race. Everything else is only 1-2 connections, or drift/city servers.

I'm with Gunn, though I do use Inferno as a base. I've previously to STCC/CTRA ran the FZR pretty much exclusively as that was pretty much all that was available (GTRs) on the few populated servers. All my FZR sets are from way before patch P that's been tweaked and tweaked as my driving style changes slightly and the patches change the physics.

Since STCC/CTRA, I drove a lot of XFG through my copper and bronze as well as many with the silver license and now run LX4 along with XRT. I pulled sets from Inferno, but the majority of the "alienism" settings are changed. I never used locked diff, I switch to clutch diff with low settings, I change tires pressures and camber drastically, parallel steer, ARB, and usually some damper tweaking, etc. Rarely does the set resemble the Inferno sets when I'm done. Inferno sets out of the box may as well be drift sets to me.
All my sets kept their hat up till now!

All of my racing set uses Locked Diff. so no problem with me here.

Quote from AndroidXP :If you set the preload to 400-500Nm it will behave almost like a locked diff most of the time

That already answers my question. No problem for all my sets.
I've had the same problem but only in the chicane entry/exit. So I did some experiments. Aston Club, fox. Using DIKS set. (used to love it).
My pb is 101.09. With X I'm lucky to do 101.5 at my best with Diks now.

Diks clutchlsd settings are: Power: 56% and Coast 65%

First I tried 0 preload. It gave understeer through exit on first half of chicane forcing a missed apex on exit of 2nd half. As u know default setting was 140.

Next I set it to 280, and tried that. It had a slight oversteer through first parts exit, and did feel a lil better.

Next, I figured it might be a power/coast problem. So I set preload back to 140. So I dropped Power to 46%, and had an understeer problem in the same entry/exit. So I reset it back to 56, and tried Coast down to 55%, and had a very slight oversteer.

Some more fiddling, and I should be able to sort it. Of course if you want an instant fix, just up the wing. Or fiddle with preload around 220 or something... Personally, I think more power less coast will fix it. So thats next to test.

Ven

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG