The online racing simulator
Getting New PC
(22 posts, started )
Getting New PC
hi, i am getting a new PC and i am wondering if this is anygood? Im not very good at knowing what are good specs etc so i must ask ye

Link

Thanks
#2 - Jakg
To be fair although i'd put a better graphics card in (namely a nice 8800GTS640) it's not that bad, although the 8600GT may have trouble with the 20" monitor , but apart from that thats a fairly nice PC
ok, cool, would you be able to tell me a good one with around the same price? Im no good with this kind of stuff, you are the one that knows everything, now show me what you got
Not a bad one but 8600GTS would be not enough if you want to play at native resolution of the LCD(1680*1050).You need 8800GTS (320 or 640MB version)

I would also buy E6420 over E6320 and sacrife rather 1 HDD.
#5 - Jakg
Erm, you wont get a good (or at least well balanced PC) from anyone who pre-builds them - although it's a good price, it's a Dell which means crappy mobo's, crappy PSU's, cheap memory and all that it entails.

Every company cheaps out, and its the reason all my PC's are built by Jakg

EDIT - Devil - my 7950GT is around the same speed as an 8600GTS (slightly faster) and yet this thing can manage 8xAA on a monitor of that res
ok, could you suggest a similar PC from somewhere other than dell or a pc you build yourself with around the same price?
Do you really need/want 20"widescreen monitor?

The system will be always unbalanced if you want 20"widescreen monitor inlcuded in that price.There is needed a lot powerfull graphic card for such a resolution to eb able to play all games fine.

I will post something a later during night as I have familly here right now.

Jakg,
well in LFS yes but you couldnt play for example FEAR at 8xAA at 1680*150 on that card smoothly.Not even with like 2xAA.I guess he doesnt have that system just for LFS.He wants to play all games fine.
#8 - Jakg
Can't say i've ever played FEAR, but the two games i mainly play (BF2 and LFS) can be maxxed with full AA (full AA because nVidia AA only works up to 8xAA on 1680*1050) and keep a playable frame rate. Maybe i should run "Supreme_Commander.exe" and see how the PC thats "enough for me" makes me crave some updates

Of course of all the cards to pick for a monitor that size, a 256 MB card with a crippled interface is NOT the best idea - an 8800GTS would be a LOT better, but good luck with the PSU in the dell doing that!
Nah, the only game i play is LFS and this would mostly be for LFS. I don't need a 20" monitor, i just picked what i thought was a good PC from the Dell website, i didnt change anything there, i just wanted to know if it was good.
I just want a good PC that will play LFS at a high level and that the computer will be very stable and smooth. I need a new monitor, however it doesnt have to be huge, but i want a flatscreen
That pc will be good for LFS. The 8600 wont be very future proof tbh, you won't have many issues playing today's games at 1680x1050 though.

As for a monitor - dell monitors are usually pretty good. Their nice ones are VERY good, but they are very expensive. 20"/22" widescreen screens a re a joy to use if you've come from a 17"/19" LCD. I've had mine for about 9 months now and couldnt see myself going back to a 4:3 aspect ratio. In fact after seeing mine my dad has also bought one. There are no real disadvantages other than the graphics card power needed to play games at full free on them, it having a 35% larger resolution than 1280x1024.
Edited:something went wrong:-(
The problem is that you would not be able to open the case if you would like to change something because it void warranty at Dell.Not to mention the crappy PSU they use as Jakg said.

What about something like in my attachement.Should be around 1070 Euro.
Better graphic card and bigger monitor with same resolution.Better PSU and motherboard.

www.overclockers.co.uk .I heard they have good reputation and prices in UK.
Sorry I dont know the PC shops in Ireland.

The question is who would build the system for you from these componnents.
Attached files
PC.doc - 54.5 KB - 228 views
ok, thanks for all that. But if i buy that, it wont come all prebuilt, i would have to put everytyhing together?
yes it doesnt come pre-built,but maybe they do that for a small fee.
What about to send them email asking?
That would be a good idea. I think i will wait untill my brother comes home because he is just finished computer systems course in University and he knows more than me Thanks for all the info guys
I've gone for a Dell
Here are the specs:

AMD® Live Technology - Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
Dell™ 20" Black Wide Flat Panel (E207WFP) - UK/Irish
1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
500GB (2x250GB) 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive - Dual HDD Config
256MB ATI® Radeon® X1300 Pro PCI Express graphics card
16 X DVD +/- RW Drive
Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)

#17 - Jakg
:X

What was wrong with the first PC? that was about 50% faster than that one there :S
actually, i have talked to my brother, and this is what i will get instead

Intel® Viiv™ Core™ 2 Duo E6320 Processor (1.86GHz,1066MHz,4MB cache)
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
640GB (2x320GB) 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive - Dual HDD Config
256MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GTS graphics card
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black
Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability
Dell™ A525 Speakers with Subwoofer
I am ssticking with the one i posted

Quote :Intel® Viiv™ Core™ 2 Duo E6320 Processor (1.86GHz,1066MHz,4MB cache)
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
640GB (2x320GB) 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive - Dual HDD Config
256MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GTS graphics card
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black
Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability
Dell™ A525 Speakers with Subwoofer

The 8600 are not bad at all, and you will be able to run LFS on max easily, but you will suffer on high resolutions at heavy games, but if you dont mind playing the heavyest games out there on max details and filters, on very high resolutions, then the 8600 should be enough for a goood time, case you go 7xx series, soon when shader 4 and Dx10 games come out, you will not even be able to play! Also, the newer game wont have that much more texture and stuff to improve, the secret are the Shaders, and thats one of most strong point of 8 series cards, be sure.

Most people that is saying crap about the card are the ones that doesnt own one, it may be only 256mb 128bit buts its G84 new type of shaders and architecture and it is just if not faster than many 256bits cards (as soon drivers get good) i dont know and never saw someone that actually owns the 8600 and doesnt like it, includes myself, except for some dudes that expect it to be a 8800GTS...wich is not and was never supposed to, guess why its half the price :S , it also comes with extra usefull features like Quantum physics technology,

some comparisons

http://firingsquad.com/hardwar ... 600_gts_preview/page9.asp
thanks for all that, but i only really play LFS and that is what i concentrate most on

Getting New PC
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG