The online racing simulator
PC restarting/freezing - big puzzle :-(
Hi guys,

I have PC(from my friend) which started restarting or freezing like 2 weeks ago.

I have already monitored CPU,GPU,chipset tempretures in background in both idle and load status but nothing is overheating.Also sometimes the thermal diodes might not reporting the tempretures right so I tried to put my fingers on CPU heatsink,chipset heatsink,GPU cooler to be sure and everything is slihgtly warm and not hot at all.So the tempretures are not the issue.

Tested memory as well with memtest loaded on boot diskette.No errors during 6 hours.

I tried today swap the PSU and no difference at all.PC freezed during game after about 1 minute.To say it mostly does with games running but occasionally with other programs as well.

I am basically lost what it could really be.I am suspecting either messed Windows XP PRO or last thing the motherboard.What you guys thing.Any ideas?

I thought it was initally 2nd SATA HDD which we added like 2 month ago but it was same after we disconnected the drive from the system.I really have no idea.

I would really apreciate any help.
#2 - Jakg
grab another HDD, put Windows on it again and never activate - if it's frequent, then it should only take about an hour to find out if its windows or not.

Try something tht makes 100% load on the CPU and memory like SuperPi (32m works quite well here) and if it freezes there it's either the OS, CPU, RAM or Mobo. If it works there, and yet not in a game it could be the graphics card cycling into 3D Mode - try something like ATi Tool for this, as it will put the card in 3D Mode while using little resources - if this is the case then underclock massively (ie 150 MHz of Core and Memory) and see if it persists.

A Memtest86 wouldn't hurt either.
Jakg,

you have not been reading my post above a lot.
Tried to stress the machine a lot.Temps not problem.
Tried memtest - no problem.
Tried swap PSU - same issue.

I did not underclock because didnt have much time.He will bring the machine to me at friday and we agreed to format the OS and install from scratch.If it will continue I will try to underclock.If it will remain again then I am really lost.I doubt its motherboard as it would give more some BSOD but this is not happening at all.

Hopefully its only messed Windows XP.
#4 - Jakg
i don't mean temps - it could be the GPU is screwed, and when it's being used (cycling to 3D Mode) it dies - the GPU is the only difference between 100% load and a game
#5 - Ziil
You can check the condensators ( I don't know how to write that in english :razz them things http://colors.mfker.com/caps.jpg maybe the mobo has given up or run some disc checks if you haven't already it might be the OS disc is borked. Hopefully it's the windows it has a tendency to screw itself
I will format the C: srive with OS in weekend as he will bring the PC to me.
Hopefully its only broken Windows instllation.I went already quickly over the mobo and seems there was no capacitors leaking.Its really puzzle for me and might be even bigger if it would be same after the OS installation.

Unfortunately I dont have any AGP graphic card anymore to try that.the problem is that the PC freeze occasionally in desktop as well so I am not really suspectaing graphic card.He called me today that it freezed yesterday when he tried running NOD32.He couldnt switch of the PC nor restart so he had to unplug it from electricity.
#7 - Jakg
nickanamed "Caps" in English - Capacitors

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG