The online racing simulator
Screen size
(26 posts, started )
Screen size
Hi does anyone know if LFS supports a scren resolution 1920 x 1200.
That's my screen res but it changes in game.
#2 - Jakg
LFS supports any resolution your graphics card does
#3 - Bean0
You could be a bit more helpful Jak.

LFS will use any resolution that is available in the windows display options, this is normally detemined by your graphics card and monitor drivers.

You might need to check the box to 'Display Non-Square Modes' to select a widescreen resolution in game.
Quote from Bean0 :You might need to check the box to 'Display Non-Square Modes' to select a widescreen resolution in game.

That option was removed several patches back.
#5 - Bean0
Quote from Bob Smith :That option was removed several patches back.

O Rly?
Shows how often I fiddle with settings then.
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :Hi does anyone know if LFS supports a scren resolution 1920 x 1200.
That's my screen res but it changes in game.

Hi,

could you please post here the file "cfg.txt" from the main LFS directory.
I will update it for you and you will be able to use that resolution.
Or you can edit that file your self.
Try to find a line called "Screen Info".

Mine looks this way:
Screen Info 0 75 1024 768

Your should looks like:
Screen Info 0 60 1920 1080

Hope this help.
Devil, thanks for the tip but when I change that line Screen Info 1 85 1920 1200 it still doesn't register in the game and the config file goes back to the game setting Screen Info 1 85 1024 768.
My card config is this
Adapter Select 0
Adapter Name ATI FireGL Z1 (Omega 3.8.330)
Use HVS 1
ZBD Select 2
Simple Track 0
Patch W
1) Get rid of omega drivers and install the original one from ATI . Get 7.3 Catalyst version.there has been already reported various issues with 7.4 version in LFS.
2) If you have LCD 85hz is not supported so it must be 60Hz.
Well I am thinking you might have that huge widscreen sony monitor?

3) Why you put there 1 85 1920 180 .It should be 0
4) I am not sure why you have in CARD_CFG.TXT HVS as 1.There shouldnt be such a line if you have W patch.I think Scawen turned HVS on by default.I dont have that line in that txt config file.
Mine looks like:

Adapter Select 0
Adapter Name NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO
ZBD Select 2
Simple Track 0

I hope you dont run LFS from packed archive.I mean it should be extracted.Sorry for such a stupid question but I saw already a lot of guys doing that and then complaining about various issues.
Devil, I uninstalled the omega drivers loaded ati ver 7.3, heres the card config txt

Adapter Select 0
Adapter Name RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700 - Secondary
Use HVS 1
ZBD Select 2
Simple Track 0
and the screen setting keeps changing back to this

Screen Info 1 85 1024 768

the ATI card is dual display but I only have the one monitor
I have two folders I run LFS in this one is patch W
the other is for the test patches which has the same problem.

This is the cfg files in Patch W32

Adapter Select 0
Adapter Name RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700 - Secondary
ZBD Select 2
Simple Track 0

Screen Info 1 85 1024 768

I do have a 24" widescreen LCD, I don't know why its picked the Secondary driver. Also Catalyst control centre doesnt work because of some .Net Framework 2.0 error.
Thanks for your patience.

Managed to update the .Net thing and Catalyst is working but no joy with the resolution it still changes back and to run at 1920 x 1200 it only runs on 16 bit (maybe limitations on the card). and after running LFS I cant get back the desktop resolution. Also I had to go back to the FireGL Z1 drivers to get Catalyst to work so the Radeon is changed to the FireGL. It's also now on the primary monitor. ATI sux, Nvidia is so much easier with the updating and software. I'll be upgrading my PC in about 6 months so I don't want to waste money on a new card, my old Nvidia 5200 worn out, this card was a freeby.
What you mean by the secondary driver.
Did you install the LCD drivers?I know it help in some cases there is resolution problems in XP.

At least you got it now working to 1920*1200 in 16bit so it seems the omega drivers messed it a lot if they didnt allow you to select even the native resolution at leats in 16bit colours.That card support in 3D up to 2048*1536,16.7 million colours.

Do you use D-DVI cable.This is needed for resolution more then 1600*1200.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :
Do you use D-DVI cable.This is needed for resolution more then 1600*1200.

I had to update my drivers to achieve 1900x1200 also but I use just the VGA connection and it runs the res just fine, however I reccomend using the cable/s that were supplied with the monitor.

I would be inclined to suggest you remove all your gfx drivers (with correct tool/drivercleaner) and reload the latest ATI cat. then delete your card cfg in lfs and restart.

LFS looks very nice at high res with all the AA & AF maxed out especially with an ATI card I always found Nvidia couldn't match the image quality

Has your 9500Pro been flashed into a 9700? I wouldn't bother with the Catylist Control Center just the display driver and maybe ATI tray tools

Good luck HotDog.

SD.
devil, I do use a DVI cable. I think the secondary driver are used for the second monitor. Number 1 is the primary and number 2 is the secondary.
Sparkydave, thanks for your response. My card is a fireGL Z1 which has the 9500 chip on board but the card itself is a workstation card and not a gaming card. It came my way because someone I know went to PCI express and didn't require the AGP card.
Hotdog,

the problem might be the DVI cable itself.Some of them dont support more then 1920*1080.I am still thinking it might be the driver.I dont remember the Catalyst center a lot but isnt there option to force certain resolutions,color space and frequency in 3D mode?

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

What about trying to use the VGA analog cable with DVI->VGA converter.I guess the cable come with the monitor and the converter with the card.Sometimes it comes also with LCD.I think it would be wort to try it.
Devil, thanks very much for all your help, the DVI cable might be the problem. I have the DVI-D Single Link I might see if I can get a Dual Link if not I'll use an adapter and use VGA.
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :Devil, thanks very much for all your help, the DVI cable might be the problem. I have the DVI-D Single Link I might see if I can get a Dual Link if not I'll use an adapter and use VGA.

I would not buy the DVD-D dual link cable 1st.I proposed it as solution but I am not certain about that(you almost never can be with PC stuff).

I would try to use the VGA cable with adaptor first as I guess you have that cable and adaptor already.No need the adaptor in case you graphic cvard have already one analog output.If you have just DVI output on the card then the adapter is needed.
Well I used the adapter and success, LFS will display 1920x1200 at 60hz 32 bit. But the down side is the analog single is no where near as crisp as the DVI digital. So I think I'll give the Dual DVI cable a go, it's only $15.00AU and a small price to pay if it works if not I'll go back to the adapter.
Thanks again for your all your help Devil and to the other members for their advice.
Great and congrats...finally
Please,Let us know if the cable worked so we can "close" it as solved.
Ok, just to close the thread off. I bought a dual link DVI-D cable and no luck on the resolution. I still had better screen size with the analog cable. So it must be the limatations of the monitor or adapter or a combination of both. Which I'm not going to the expense of replacing because of upgrading the whole system latter on.
Hotdog; could I ask what make of 24" your panel is? and did it come with/did you install the monitor's .inf file from the makers web site?

I have a Dell 24" (2407WFP) and had just 1 issue very like yours when I 1st installed the monitor, I updated the display drivers only 7.4 IIRC (I dont use or like the ccc, I use Tray Tools) and all resolutions have been fine ever since, I am using the DVI-VGA connetor from PC1(XT850-PE) through a VGA-KVM and PC2 is an old 9800Pro VGA.

However I am absolutly sure that both your card, and monitor are capable of running 1920x1200 via VGA or DVI as long as the cable is good quality you should not have a problem

SD.
Sparky dave,

he can run it now at 1920*1200 now but the problem is he cant get it running at 32bit using DVI cable.It runs fine thru VGA cable.Really strange to me.

I will try to do some research around the LCD forums.Hopefully something might be find there.If I would find anything usefull I will try to post it here.
SD, the monitor is a Sumsung 240T. I got it second hand without any extras. downloaded the latest drivers from Samsung when I install it. The monitor is around 5 years old but the display is still very good, after clicking a few options in CCC I now have my desktop running at 1920x1200 @ 75hz 32 bit, but LFS will still only default to 1024x768 @ 75hz with the max being 1280x1024 @ 60hz. Now the good thing is that my desktop doesn't change when I go out of the game, this is using the digital cable. If I was using the analog signal there's no problem in game and out.
Devil, I appreciate your efforts but don't take up too much of your time on this, unless you enjoy the challenge
A dual link DVI cable wont do any good unless you have a Dual Link DVI card (which you don't) see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
Quote :With a single DVI link, the largest resolution possible at 60Hz is 2.75 megapixels (including blanking interval). For practical purposes, this allows a maximum widescreen resolution of 2212 x 1243 (widescreen 1.77 ratio).

So you can't use more than 60 Hz when using a resolution of 1920x1200 over DVI. The DVI spec doesn't even support more than 60 Hz so trying to force more than 60Hz can cause problems - your monitor might not even support that resolution (I know my 19" doesnt support 1280x1024 at 75Hz, but it does support 800x600 at 75Hz)

Try using your DVI cable and running 1920x1200 at 60Hz.

I honnestly can't tell the difference between 60 and 75 Hz on an LCD. Because of the way LCDs work they dont flicker.
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :SD, the monitor is a Sumsung 240T. I got it second hand without any extras. downloaded the latest drivers from Samsung when I install it. The monitor is around 5 years old but the display is still very good, after clicking a few options in CCC I now have my desktop running at 1920x1200 @ 75hz 32 bit, but LFS will still only default to 1024x768 @ 75hz with the max being 1280x1024 @ 60hz. Now the good thing is that my desktop doesn't change when I go out of the game, this is using the digital cable. If I was using the analog signal there's no problem in game and out.
Devil, I appreciate your efforts but don't take up too much of your time on this, unless you enjoy the challenge

Have you tried using the other connector on the card? maybe you have a faulty RAMDAC,

can I confirm you can run desktop @1920x1200 but in LFS options screen you cannot select same resolution @60hz there?

SD.
I know its not the exact same display but I just hooked mine up with vga and dvi cable from the X850 and have no problems at 1920x1200 16 or 32 bit, the DVI quality is slightly better but not much, I only get 50 or 60 Hz options tho so maybe this has some effect? Anyway I will reproduce the same from another PC running the 9700 later, and edit this post

SD.
SD, the desktop display is 1920x1200 @ 60hz. The display adapter will let me select a resolution up tp 2048x1536. Also note the the graphics card is a second hand workstation card for CAD work and not a dedicated gaming card with the 9500 chipset on board.

Word. specs on my card of the net indicate that this card has Dual DVI-I supports any combination of digital and analog displays.

But please I'm happy with what I have at the moment so close the thread unless someone else has a simular problem, and I will be upgrading soon.

Screen size
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG