The online racing simulator
Thoughts on F08
(25 posts, started )
Thoughts on F08
Hi. Anybody ever plan on starting a server for the F08 that isn't an oval?
I know that they are very hard cars to use, but compared to the LX-6 in S-1,
they're a walk in the park.
I just started playing with the F08 in single player. I can't use the A.I cause my
driving is so bad, the A.I. will vote to ban me again....
Something I noticed about these cars. No matter what set-up I use, that car
just hates 2nd gear. Why is that?
Oh well, maybe when I get half a clue as to how to handle the F08, there will be
some servers for it out there - besides the circle of doom.
And if there is a private server running those (sorry,but I filter private ones out)
maybe somebody could throw me a pasword?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I'd agree with that!!!! vMax raced tsr at Westhill in the F08 about 3 days after S2 was released. Whilst tsr managed very well, vMax, pretty much as a whole, struggled (partly because we spent the 3 preceeded days messing about!). Even now, months later, I still find that combo by far the hardest I've tried.
-
#3 - Gunn
Also try Kyoto GP Reversed ( :wtf2: ), many of the turns are high-speed. Once the tyres are warm it's a real buzz.
FO8 is great and all, for the sheer speed and grip, and those are the kinds of cars I like... however, there is something about the FO8 that just doesn't make it fun for a fast driver....

Skill is required to be fast in that car, and a lot of knowledge of how-to push the cars is needed. That said, a lot of amateur drivers are not up to par with keeping up AT ALL... I'm talkin' a 6-10 sec difference from a fast time. Low speed grip is tough, and that is where most are losing this car, and... when the rears are hot, it is easy to slide, so much that it is beyond your own control.

It is a car that requires a lot of skill, and good racing ability (like to avoid a draft behind another FO8 while in a corner).

Sadly, nobody drives it on road courses enough probably because of these issues... it just is a thrill to drive for a few days, then you move onto something that has better racing online... like the FOX, which is a great open wheeler. But once in a while it is fun to try the car every so often, but it isn't an addicting favorite like other cars/classes.
I'd drive it, but for two things

a) other people who can't drive it AT ALL

b) there is something that just feels a bit wrong. I know it's a formula car, with lots of downforce and power etc etc, but I'm convinced there is something wrong somewhere. I can't explain it. All the other cars feel like cars, but the FO8 doesn't. Anybody else know what I mean? Can you explain it better than me :S
THanks for the replies

I haven't really tried very many tracks with the F08 yet. Earlier, I
tried it on Aston National. LOL it was kinda like,
Hurry up and stop... I dunno, at first it looked like a good idea for a track

@ tristian... I remember that server I also remember not being able to get past that left turn just past the bridge without sliding off into the grass and
into a wall.

But i'll try that track again and the Kyoto GP (rev)
In fact, I think I'' try that after I hit the submit button on the bottom of this reply page thingee
-
As we have the OWRL-servers running 24/7 we try to make sure at least one is with the FO8. At the moment you can race at Westhill on [GoodServer.de] [OWRL]#1. I really enjoy driving the FO8 at Westhill, it's such a great combo, very fast. However I can't get the speed through the fast corners some people can get! :eye-poppi

Joining the OWRL to race the FO8 wouldn't be a good idea at the moment, as with the division system we currently use you would start in div B with the FOX, and in this season to move up to Div A there is simply not enough time to make up the points.

Quote from tristancliffe :I can't explain it. All the other cars feel like cars, but the FO8 doesn't. Anybody else know what I mean? Can you explain it better than me :S

Nope, that about explains it
hehe really need to know when you can push it and when it will push you back
Blackwood GP with the FO8 is alot of fun!
Quote from Vendetta :Blackwood GP with the FO8 is alot of fun!

yesterday I drove Blackwood rallyx with the f08 because no hotlaps were uploaded for that combination. Now I know why
I love the F08 at westhill, its a true challenge to go fast there and not catch some grass and spin out, but there are a few turns that could really use some tall/harsh curbing on the outside to help prevent grass spinning.
Quote from DodgeRacer :I love the F08 at westhill, its a true challenge to go fast there and not catch some grass and spin out, but there are a few turns that could really use some tall/harsh curbing on the outside to help prevent grass spinning.

Yeah, the Westhill lacks some run-off areas and needs some curbs in some places me thinks. It is the fastest track in lfs after all? (after oval it is...)

As to the F08, nice car but maybe it lacks something, what it needs I don't know. I just can't feel the "soul" of that car. I mean is it really nice to drive it anywhere? It is a good car nevertheless...Maybe some less dirty air
Quote from thisnameistaken :Yeah I kinda know what you mean but I can't put my finger on it either. It kinda drives like two different cars depending on how fast you're going. Seems like as soon as the downforce starts making a difference the car goes from wobbly overpowered nuisance to super-trustworthy speed machine instantly.

It's hard to judge how the handling of a Formular car should feel alright because I'm sure not many of us had the chance to make experience with such cars in real life.

But if you need more grip in slow corners you should try more downforce. There is also a wind chanel test in the set up menue, where you can see how much downforce your car produce depending on the speed.
Still doesn't help, the game overall has very odd low-speed grip, nothing you can do about it other than use very low tire pressures... but still that creates way hotter tires, so there isn't a solution to it exactly. And using higher downforce to better suit low speed corners is not always the answer for highspeed tracks with areas like that, you sacrifice too much top speed.
Quote from Gunn :Also try Kyoto GP Reversed ( :wtf2: ), many of the turns are high-speed. Once the tyres are warm it's a real buzz.

Somebody is a bit OBSESSED with that track.

And it definately isn't Sudo.
#17 - axus
I have done the FO8 on South City Spirit 2. It is nice to hotlap but I would not like to do a long race there... it is way too nerve wrecking. Its not like I wasn't fast - I got to 0.04s from the WR at the time but the shafts on that track in the middle of the racing line just confuse the hell out of me. Why? surely there are no shafts in the middle of the racing line in a corner at Monaco, nevermind 3 in a row... Those kind of ruin the combo for me.
Quote from tristancliffe :I'd drive it, but for two things

a) other people who can't drive it AT ALL

b) there is something that just feels a bit wrong. I know it's a formula car, with lots of downforce and power etc etc, but I'm convinced there is something wrong somewhere. I can't explain it. All the other cars feel like cars, but the FO8 doesn't. Anybody else know what I mean? Can you explain it better than me :S

i know what you mean. i cant completely explain too at the moment. but its too arcadey
Quote from thisnameistaken :Seems like as soon as the downforce starts making a difference the car goes from wobbly overpowered nuisance to super-trustworthy speed machine instantly.

Great description. I completely agree. But who knows -- maybe the low-speed performance is what such a car would really feel like before the downforce kicked in? Low weight, tons of power, etc., etc.
well its different from the formula cars ive had the opportunity to drive
After using the F08 a bit these couple of days, I gotta admit,

something is different about it compared to the other cars. It don't feel.. arcadey to me, but it is different feeling. I am also beginning to see that
that car would be a hassle to have a server for... restarts from hell!
AS far as how realistic it is compared to the real formula cars, I wouldn't know.
I still like playing with it though. I guess it'll be like the LX-6 in S-1...limited to single player
But it at least lets us see the whole wider range of cars in LFS. Having this car is good and bad... you can see what it is like having huge slicks and loads of downforce and speed, but... you can see some annoying parts in it that just don't make it fun to race against others in sometimes. Having driven this car quite a bit, it makes me want more and more road/saloon type cars, whether they are racing versions or not, I don't car, LFS really wins with a lot of the road cars, and that is where I get the most fun out of this game. Having some V8 cars with lots of power would be nice, just have a car that is driveable so competitive racing is more pleasing .
#23 - robt
V8 coupe/saloon would be a nice addition, say a bit liek the FZ5 but a little more road saloon (if that makes sense)
Holdens etc.thats the kinda thing i mean. maybe more XRG/XRT type cars.
LOL i never heard of V8 saloons til i stumbled across LFS.
From what I've heard and seen, the saloon classes should fit right in with
the natural development of LFS. But they shouldn't be used as a replacement
for like the LFR class of cars or the3 TBO.
Personally, i think that the LRF class and their respective tracks are the most
accurate.
Like most people here (if not all), i've never driven a formula car, even less
one with these specs. I do think the sudden downforce is relatively accurate
but i think the FO8 is pushing the limits of LFS when it comes to tire grip and is
why it is so touchy before the downforce kicks in.

Thoughts on F08
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG