The online racing simulator
LFS Car Viewer (PC / Mac / Linux)
(89 posts, started )
People who are into skinning, might have PS but only in OS X, and there's no way to run the skin viewer (well, crossover office, but with major errors, like running LFS in Wine/Crossover).
Quote from dawesdust_12 :People who are into skinning, might have PS but only in OS X, and there's no way to run the skin viewer (well, crossover office, but with major errors, like running LFS in Wine/Crossover).

I see I was focusing on the hardware to run the official viewer, not thinking about the programs to skin being restricted to one platform

Cheers for clearing that up
ShannonN
#53 - Tomi
Quote from Becky Rose :
On the Linux front I can now say that it is because Kubuntu/Ubuntu does not support my hard disk/sata interface. I'll try a different distro but I cant until next week (CD shortage).

If you have a problem with your sata interface, there is many chance it is just not supported by the kernel. As far as I know, all the biggest distro uses the same 2.6.20 version of the kernel, so you should not expect an opensuse or fedora to work better with your hardware until the next releases.

I know that some buggy sata controller have problem with linux. For some of them you can try the option acpi=off or pci=nommconf at the grub boot prompt and it should boot.
i thought you had some nf4 sli amd motherboard ?
i can guarantee that ubuntu works just fine with boot drives on the nf4 sata controller ... additionally if your linux installation has problems with booting form a sata drive you shouldnt even see the gnome loader ... probably not even grub
how do I open the application on my mac? it doesn't recondnise is a program. I'm using verion 8
Quote from Becky Rose :You can move the camera with the cursor keys, you can also hold the right button to change how the up / down keys behave (Or right shift, right command, or right alt - gotta look after the single click Mac users too ).

You may need to click into the 3D screen area before it will accept the commands for it.

I think i'm going to try and make it work with event driven input rather than polled input. This is the first time i've mixed 3D with a GUI and there are things I just didn't know about getting it to work .

macs fortunately do have support for Left and right clicking...
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :how do I open the application on my mac? it doesn't recondnise is a program. I'm using verion 8

Zachary, it IS a program, just without an Icon, try starting it and it will start. I personally made a quick Icon in PS, not very good or fun, but does its purpose
Quote :macs fortunately do have support for Left and right clicking...

OK, i'll remove the support for the left mouse button and see how many Mac users still use the original mouse...

I'm well aware the OS supports 3 buttons and a mouse wheel, i'm also well aware that many Mac users have the standard mouse. In fact in all the Mac's I deal in - several a day - so far the only people I know who use something other than an Apple mouse are you, and me ... and probably a few more now i've said that.

Most Mac users will replace a faulty Mac mouse with another Mac mouse.
my mac asks what application I should open it with.
this may sound like a stupid question but im afraid it wont ... have you actually extracted the program first ?
#61 - FL!P
#63 - FL!P
When you do a right-click or a ctrl-click on carview.app, the contextual menu should have an item reading "Show Package Contents". If you select it, the Finder should open another window containing a folder named Contents. Inside this folder there should be a folder named MacOS containing a file named carview, an empty folder named Resources, and a text file named info.plist. Do you see all of these?
FL!P that only appears if you have X11 installed. First I think we need to ascertain is what cannot be opened is the Car Viewer program, or the distribution zip file?
#65 - FL!P
Quote from Becky Rose :FL!P that only appears if you have X11 installed.

Sorry but I don't think so, Becky. AFAIK the contextual menu item is always there (assuming an application bundle is selected). The rest, info.plist, etc, is required whether X11 is installed or not.

Quote :First I think we need to ascertain is what cannot be opened is the Car Viewer program, or the distribution zip file?

Of course. But that would be clear if the answer was "what carview.app"?
I need to install X11?
here's a screenie of my viewer window
Attached images
window.jpg
#68 - FL!P
Well, it doesn't have the icon of an application yet (we all see the same blank icon) but if you select the menu item Finder > Preferences, click on the Advanced tab and check "Show all file extensions", you should see that it's actually called carview.app.

Also, if you select carview and press Cmd-i, you should see in the General tab of the Info window that Kind says "Application".

If this is the case and it keeps asking your for an application when you double-click it, there's something fishy somewhere. It might be that the archive wasn't expanded properly (hence my previous question about Show Package Contents, info.plist, etc) or it could be your system.
Quote from Becky Rose :
Most Mac users will replace a faulty Mac mouse with another Mac mouse.

This is what i never will understand with mac users (and i am a grafic designer, so i know what a mac is
First thing I did after opening my iMac. Quickly change my MX518 into the Mac and the mighty mouse into my now dedicated TS box (with an uptime of 46 days)
Quote from Becky Rose :I figure that the lack of a PPC/universal binary version probably effects about zero users?

I'd of thought that most Intel Mac users would just dual boot. My laptops PPC meaning when I don't have access to my desktop skinning grinds to a halt
Quote :(with an uptime of 46 days)

/ribbing mode on
What's the uptime on your Mac Dustin?
/ribbing mode off

Quote :I'd of thought that most Intel Mac users would just dual boot. My laptops PPC meaning when I don't have access to my desktop skinning grinds to a halt

Yes I know I was wrong! Anyway it's universal now
you mean I have to buy 10.4? It costs $150!
All of my dependancies are compatible with 10.3.9. I currently do not have a 10.3.9 system I can test with. I can only assume it's either incompatible due to an unspecified bug that I dont have the tools to debug, or that there is something wrong with your system.

Quote :Bad CPU type in executable.

This is confusing. The application should work on both PPC and Intel machines. Do other universal binaries work on your system?

LFS Car Viewer (PC / Mac / Linux)
(89 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG