The online racing simulator
one way to kill an engine...
(85 posts, started )
Ok, Operator, i skipped most of this page because this is getting out
of hands. Let me be direct here. I understand that you feel personally insulted
by some comments, sometimes they can be ignorant and blantant blue collar
propaganda but please calm down, go take a walk, forget about it.

Like my mom always told me, don't let stupid people drain you.
Well, she didn't say it like that...but if you feel a situation is getting
you upset, perhaps you should avoid it for a while and do something
else. I don't want this thread to become an insult fest that starts over
nothing.

Personally, i don't think there's anything smart in destroying something
because some say it's worthless, first of all, 'worth' when it comes to market
value has got absolutely nothing to do with how much an object is really
worth. This is the only engine of it's kind. No other car maker has an engine
like this, that alone makes it legendary. The fact that it's still running is a
testament to why you even know this engine today. Also, there's something
so wrong with wasting stuff nowadays. I mean, why not use it in something
else ?! Geez, i'm sure half the 'car guys' here are REAL car guys that actually
thought "HEY give it to me then, i'll use it !!". There's the carguys that
actually know about cars, then there's the carguys that sit in the stands at
NASCAR, lol

The only 'good' thing here is that we have an experiment that is documented
and that is pretty usefull for evaluating the 13B. A lot of car manufacturers
actually buy their competitor's cars just to take them apart and 'test' them.
I'm sure Ford would love to have a video like this of a Ford lasting longer than
a Chevy, it doesn't have any real-life use, but you all see the marketing
potential.

PS: I just remembered, i managed to get 300$ for my Scirocco precisely
because of the worthless engine, it's the amazing JH. As soon as i started
the car, the guy said SOLD The car was 'worth' 50$. I would have taken
that RX7 no problem btw.
Quote from tristancliffe :I say blow more engines up!!!!!

Then let the weird people in the forum who care about random people they've never met who enjoy blowing up crappy engines not fit for sale and then STILL take it to the scrapyard and get £30 for it.

You've summed up my whole argument. Thank you.

I keep reading the same basic argument here. It goes a little something like this:

"Americans are wastefull because they blow up worthless motors."

Raise your hand if you believe that no Finish guy has ever blown, or thought about blowing up a worthless motor for fun?

This should be interesting.
Quote from operator0 :
"Americans are wastefull because they blow up worthless motors."

No, NOONE said that. They (or should I say we?) said that ANYBODY, regardless of nation, skincolour or religion who wastes stuff like this is stupid. Just by coincidence the guys who burned that engine are americans, but that has nothing to do with the fact that it wasn't too intelligent.
Not every critic aimed at an American can be labeled as "anti-americanism"...
If this video would be Austrian, and you'd say those guys were stupid, i'd wholeheartly agree with you, and I'd definately wouldn't think that you tried to insult "my" nation, even if you did generalize a little bit.

And now I think we completely ruined that originally quite harmless thread, so it could be locked.
It's just a stereotypical view that Americans are the most likely people to do this. The fact that it's Americans that have been the ones saying they do this to an engine for fun rather than finding a use for it rather strengthens peoples' feelings that Americans have too much money and enjoy blowing stuff up for 'fun'. TBH you have rather brought this on yourself and why don't we just leave this thread alone now.
No actually, i think it's ok now
Quote from ajp71 :It's just a stereotypical view that Americans are the most likely people to do this. The fact that it's Americans that have been the ones saying they do this to an engine for fun rather than finding a use for it rather strengthens peoples' feelings that Americans have too much money and enjoy blowing stuff up for 'fun'. TBH you have rather brought this on yourself and why don't we just leave this thread alone now.

Uhhh... Not yet please

You have a valid point. Say you've never met seen ar had anything to do with an American. Maybe you're told this & that about Americans. And since usually when somebody talks about somebody else, it's a negative thing. Now you see this video, not even reading the commentary, just see the video.....
Hey if I was some foreign guy and saw that, I'd be inclined to think Americans
were a wasteful lot as well.

Personally, I figure it's their motor, they can do what they want with it.
And even though fonnybone is right that auto makers basically do the same thing, I really doubt that there was any scientific method to what those guys were doing.

Sure it was somewhat wasteful, but it was also kinda cool.
Quote from ColeusRattus :No, NOONE said that. They (or should I say we?) said that ANYBODY, regardless of nation, skincolour or religion who wastes stuff like this is stupid. Just by coincidence the guys who burned that engine are americans, but that has nothing to do with the fact that it wasn't too intelligent.

Are you sure about that?

----------------------------------------------
Quote from Matrixi :and they should be treated with more respect than what idiotic americans are doing illepall

Quote from Matrixi :I don't achieve any joy in such matter, I guess it's an american treat that I don't have, now or never in the future.

Quote from ajp71 :...a sad reflection on American attitudes...

Quote from thisnameistaken :
Oh how dull the internet would be were it not for bored rich american children.

----------------------------------------------

Quote :Not every critic aimed at an American can be labeled as "anti-americanism"...

Sure, but the repeating theme here is that Americans are idiots and wastefull and only they would do something like this.

I especialy like the wastefull comments. Even after I suggested that the motor would be taken to a scrap yard and recyceled, which almost all motors in America do eventualy, I still got those wastefull comments.

Quote :If this video would be Austrian, and you'd say those guys were stupid, i'd wholeheartly agree with you, and I'd definately wouldn't think that you tried to insult "my" nation, even if you did generalize a little bit.

That's right, because I wouldn't preface words like bored, wastefull and idiot with Austrian. I know there are bored, wastefull idiots in every country.

Quote :And now I think we completely ruined that originally quite harmless thread, so it could be locked.

Yeah, this went downhill pretty fast.

Quote from Fonnybone :Ok, Operator, i skipped most of this page because this is getting out
of hands. Let me be direct here. I understand that you feel personally insulted
by some comments, sometimes they can be ignorant and blantant blue collar
propaganda but please calm down, go take a walk, forget about it.

Like my mom always told me, don't let stupid people drain you.
Well, she didn't say it like that...but if you feel a situation is getting
you upset, perhaps you should avoid it for a while and do something
else. I don't want this thread to become an insult fest that starts over
nothing.

Yes, you are correct and after this post I will no longer reply to it...no matter what is said.

Quote from Fonnybone :Personally, i don't think there's anything smart in destroying something because some say it's worthless, first of all, 'worth' when it comes to market value has got absolutely nothing to do with how much an object is really worth.

You know what I like about that? You didn't throw some bad comment about Americans in there.

A machine's worth has everything to do with market value to me. If I can't make a few bucks off of it, and I can't use it, then what good is it doing me? That's my take.

Quote :This is the only engine of it's kind. No other car maker has an engine
like this, that alone makes it legendary. The fact that it's still running is a
testament to why you even know this engine today. Also, there's something
so wrong with wasting stuff nowadays. I mean, why not use it in something
else ?! Geez, i'm sure half the 'car guys' here are REAL car guys that actually
thought "HEY give it to me then, i'll use it !!". There's the carguys that
actually know about cars, then there's the carguys that sit in the stands at
NASCAR, lol

I undertsand that the rotery is a unique engine, but it's not like they only made 200 of them. Those things are a dime a dozen over here. And nobody is wasting it. It's getting recycled.

That's what they do at scrap yards, which is where the vast majority of metal machines in America end up when they've outlived their usefullness. Be it a refrigerator, a car or an airplane. They get recycled.

Here's what I'm reading into all this. You tell me if I'm wrong. It's a culture clash. You guys on the other side of the pond cherish the 13b, or any other unique motor and would do everything in your power to restore one and keep it running. We in America don't need to, because we can get rebuilt units for 600 euros. And 600 euros isn't expensive at all. Yeah, the market place is different so replace that 13b with any common (to you) motor. Would you feel the same way? How much less would you care if it was a Rover engine, or and old 80s Saab motor? Something completely mundane and ordinary. That's what the 13b is over here.

I don't have an emotional attachment to my machines. I use my machines to do a job. If that machine can't do the job, I get another one. I don't fell sorry for it, I don't feel like I owe it anything for being so trustworthy in the past and I certainly don't think the machine cares whether I do or not. It's just a machine.

Quote :The only 'good' thing here is that we have an experiment that is documented and that is pretty usefull for evaluating the 13B. A lot of car manufacturers actually buy their competitor's cars just to take them apart and 'test' them. I'm sure Ford would love to have a video like this of a Ford lasting longer than a Chevy, it doesn't have any real-life use, but you all see the marketing potential.

It's quite remarkable. That's part of the fun of doing something like this.

operator0,
Signing off.
Quote from operator0 :That's what they do at scrap yards, which is where the vast majority of metal machines in America end up when they've outlived their usefullness. Be it a refrigerator, a car or an airplane. They get recycled.

But they should only be recycled, when they no longer work.

That engine was running fine, i see no reason why anyone would just blow it up, for "fun" - Sitting there killing a perfectly working engine is not fun from my pov.

As the old saying goes "One Man's Rubbish Is Another Mans Treasure."
Yet again, I apologize my harshness in the first post. As I said I was pissed off by that video since I do have special love and respect on the rotaries. Even tho, my first comments were rather directed to the people in the film, not to every american in the world, as you seem to be trying make my comments look like.

After giving a thought about it, it's your engine. You've bought it with your hard earned money. Do what the hell you ever want with it. I'll still think it's a fscked up thing to do but hey, I guess it's ok to do whatever you with the materia you own personally.

I will no longer post in this thread, in order not to upset any more people, I tried to be polite (atleast after my first harsh pissed off post..) and discuss in a friendly matter but I guess the thread got out of hand.

My personal apologies to any insulted americans out there. No hard feelings? :sorry:
I don't see what the problem is. I keep trying to blow the motor in my shitty Malibu company car, but so far no luck
Well... At least we know how a rotary blows up, and how frikkin' long it takes, so some good has come from it.
Quote :
Uhh Houston, we have a problem. I'll tell you this, anyone who has an emotional attachment to a machine is way more messed up in the head than the two in the video. You need professional help.

Oooh, I possibly overemphasized my attitude towards machines a little.
But, on the other head, go ahead and ask 100 bikers (and I mean BIKERS, not the guys who own a motorcycle and take it out for a ride every other month) what they would do if their girlfriend asked them to give up their motorcycles.
At least 95 of them would probably say "dump the girlfriend and keep on riding"
I am aware that there is a difference between giving up your hobby and throwing away an old engine. Anyway my experience is that an emotional attachment towards a machine has far less of a psychotic touch than you obviously think.
I've met people in my life who said they would rather lend their wife to someone than their motorcycle, and they meant it.

But let me try to explain. I believe that the emotional attachment is not so much an attachment to the machine itself but to that which you connect with it. Like I wrote before, the good time you've had with it.

(edit: I've just read your last post, and it seems to say exactly what I was trying to get at in the following two paragraphs, so I put the quote in: )
Quote :I don't have an emotional attachment to my machines. I use my machines to do a job. If that machine can't do the job, I get another one. I don't fell sorry for it, I don't feel like I owe it anything for being so trustworthy in the past

I can see that your point of view might be quite different if you don't dedicate your time and money to a single or maybe two objects (like the 2 choppers in my case) and if it's not these two machines that are your passion but the things that you do with them, i.e. racing and such.
I have my 1974 Sporty because I always wanted to have an old Harley, it was a childhood dream and the bike itself is maybe even more important to me than building and riding choppers in general.
Now if cars are just your means of going fast, because racing is what you love (and not the cars), you may own four different cars during one year, one after the other, and you're used to exchanging old ones for newer ones and stuff.
And that probably makes your attitude towards our topic a completely different one.

I don't know if this expresses my thoughts clearly enough, but it's as good as I can do at the moment. After all, I'm still German ;-).

Thanks for the other things you said about my post, I really appreciate that.
Still holding a grudge on me are you? You have a fetish for destroying engines don't you?

About the video itself, I don't know what to say. Sure seems like those Civic engines can take lots of punishment. Wouldn't do that myself but like I have previously stated, it's your car/engine, do whatever you want with it.
Quote from deggis :You mean they dumped the car to the junk yard or something? Why in the world they would have done that?

Well I live in America and a lot of good cars are dumped just because it was after some accident.(Accident that you only need to change bumbers)
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Idiots. If they wanted to keep the engine cool the should have sprayed it with a fire egstinguiser...i think i spelled that wrong.
Quote from Rappa Z :Idiots. If they wanted to keep the engine cool the should have sprayed it with a fire egstinguiser...i think i spelled that wrong.

Extinguisher.

Yeah, that's right. That's A Dutchie telling you how to spell your native language.
I'm muck younger than anyone else so don't expect much good spelling.
Cos it's fun. It's only a few bits of metal after all, it's not like there are or should be morals about this. I have a personal goal in life to see how engines blow up, inline 4's, rotaries, wankels, v's, flats, deltas etc. Can't wait.
Quote from tristancliffe :Cos it's fun.

Killing it while Racing/drifting/rallying ect, now thats fun.

To just sit there and rev the bollocks off it until it blows up is pointless and stupid.
Quote from tristancliffe :Cos it's fun. It's only a few bits of metal after all, it's not like there are or should be morals about this. I have a personal goal in life to see how engines blow up, inline 4's, rotaries, wankels, v's, flats, deltas etc. Can't wait.

Yes, buy why do it to a fully functional car? it's ok if you've got something terrbile that cost like £100 but with the (i believe it was either an Integra or RX something), that car looked and sounded fine before those meanies got their hands on it!
Quote from operator0 :
D. Take it down to the scrap yard and get $50 dollars for it.

E. Spend $2 in gas, $6 in beer, sit back and watch it blow up, then take it down to the scrap yard and collect your $50.

Answere me that, Ace.

Excellent post!
What they did to that engine is vicious and cruel, they are probably people who don't know the work and effort that has been put into those engines. Most would say "ah it's my money what do you care? " but imagine if someone would buy something that you hand made for a long time and then smashed it into your face even though he payed the right amount of money for it (or even more). I for one respect the work and engineering that has been put into any car whether it is old or new.
My family owned an old Fiat with an 1100 cc engine for more than 15 years just because my dad loved that car. We bought it with 150.000 km on board and drove it daily and the engine had no problems, compression was spot on and it wasn't eating a drop of oil . At ~380.000 one of the cillinders started loosing compression because one of the sealing rings on it had cracked , we went to great lenghts to buy replacements for all cilinders and after the operation the car again just ran fine. It diet at 680.000 because one of the connecting rods failed while iddling in front of my building, probably metal fatigue and we cold not get replacements. After that we sold the car at a scrapyard that deals in used car parts. The car had its share of abuse mostly from me at age 10 trying to learn driving on deserted roads and flooring the car on many ocasions illepall

PS: We did not keep the car because we did not have the option of buying another but we all loved that little bugger

"sry for the bad english"
BLOW THAT ****ING ENGINE!!!:bounce8:

Stop complaining, u dont know why they blew it up, maybe the engine was in a bad condition and he wanted to break it, cus he was going to buy a new anyway... who knows?...

one way to kill an engine...
(85 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG