The online racing simulator
Soo, Linux of the Ubuntu flavour and Vista...
(30 posts, started )
#26 - arco
Quote from thisnameistaken :Speaking of Linux in relation to Vista and OSX: Does Linux have anything like the file indexing/search/"smart folder" functionality that OSX has got and Vista has attempted?

Check this out: http://www.skyos.org/media/vid ... station/presentation.html

This is not for Linux though, but I thought it looked interesting enough to post here. They're using a further developed version of the BeOS filesystem.
BeOS was somewhat cool to play with, SkyOS looks interesting, cheers for link.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Speaking of Linux in relation to Vista and OSX: Does Linux have anything like the file indexing/search/"smart folder" functionality that OSX has got and Vista has attempted?

There are a few things. Beagle, Recoll (although I think it died a death). I believe there's a few KDE-orientated ones also. Edit: Kat, that was it..

Quote from Becky Rose :*files spotlight under 'gimmick' alongside Dashboard*

What about QuickSilver? It's actually usable, and bloodly useful imho.

Quote from wheel4hummer :Isn't ubuntu a little insecure? Theres no root password...

Read up on sudo.
Wheel, there is no root password, but that's because the root password is shut off until (I think) you run "sudo passwd root" where you set a password for it, thus activating it. Until you do that, root is an invalid user.
My biggest problem with ANY breed of Linux is that I cant really run it effectively on my main box, because I just CANNOT get the raid drivers installed properly, which messes up my dual boot
I have 1*200 PATA drive and 2*250 SATA drives in RAID 0 config.
I have my XP installed on the Raid, and at the moment have Vista on the PATA..works well in dual boot, but I remember the last time I tried installing anything but windoze on the PATA I lost all my stuff on the RAID drives

I know one solution is to disable the RAID drives first (unplug them!), but I really want to have access to stuff on them under *nix eventually.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG