The online racing simulator
Changable FOV?
(12 posts, started )
Changable FOV?
this could be just a crazy idea, but would it be better if the FOV value changes for different areas on the screen? i mean now if you set the FOV to say 160 the center of the view which is the main part becomes too small, but for smaller FOV value you lose sign of what is going on around the car. so, what if we have a smaller FOV in the middle of the screen and it becomes larger and larger towards the edges of the screen?

i made a picture to demonstrate (anyway, i try to) what i'm talking about. the first image would be a screenshot with FOV varying from 160 at the edge to smaller values in the middle, while the second image has a FOV of 85 degrees.

(sorry for my english, hope you understand what i'm trying to say. and sorry for the very poor quality of the image, i hope it still demonstrates something)
Attached images
fov3.jpg
fov4.jpg
#3 - wark
I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it... :vomit:
It might be a better approximation of human eyesight than the current fixed frame camera-type image, but I dunno how it'd feel to race looking at that.

Hmm.
Good Idea, in W21 isn't there 160?...i dunno i was wondering its quite a cool idea, but its not a good idea for drifting
Also Whaat car is that you are driving...the speedo goes till like 220
Quote from harjun :Good Idea, in W21 isn't there 160?...i dunno i was wondering its quite a cool idea, but its not a good idea for drifting
Also Whaat car is that you are driving...the speedo goes till like 220

its an XRT, his speedo is in Kph
LOL sorry man , i still think a lovely idea
It's impossible to do without pixel shaders. So you'll have to wait till Scawen learns HLSL
You can teach him lol
As long as it can be disabled. That pic makes me nautious just looking at it :|
Quote from MAGGOT :As long as it can be disabled. That pic makes me nautious just looking at it :|

sorry about that

i tried but couldn't produce the effect. anyway, it should look like a normal view in the center area of the screen, but around the edges the view would seem gradually 'compressed' so it would enable the player to see a wider range (it'd get more distorted and smaller as the angle increases) around the edges of the screen.

heres another image i made. i dont know exactly how the view is projected to the monitor now, i imagine the view is 'stretched' into a plane like the first figure. what i'm thinking is something like the second figure, the view is 'pressed' into a plane, so the center part is larger and you can still see a greater angle towards the edges. in figure 3 the center part is 'stretched' so it will not be distorted, while around the edges the view is compressed.

anyway this is just an idea, maybe it won't work. thx for your comments.
Attached images
fov-1.jpg
Sucks that you only have one eye. Were you born blind in one eye, or did something happen?

Changable FOV?
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG