The online racing simulator
Cut gas when shift up
(39 posts, started )
Cut gas when shift up
I have noticed that there are a lot of people that don´t cut gas when shift up. It is an advantage in the game, but is very unrealistic I think. Is it a driving technic that real racers uses? Or are these people making good use of this because the clutch doesn´t break in the game?
:auto:
Quote from NitroNitrous :I have noticed that there are a lot of people that don´t cut gas when shift up. It is an advantage in the game, but is very unrealistic I think. Is it a driving technic that real racers uses? Or are these people making good use of this because the clutch doesn´t break in the game?
:auto:

Probably someone trying to use anything to give them the upper hand, as usual.
#3 - Jakg
IRL it would break your clutch, but as we have no clutch damage you can do it with impunity
Flatshifting is very common in real life.
Yes Jakg, this is what I supposed. So I think clutch damage would be a good improvement for next patches
First of all, I believe lag or something a similar online thing might cause it seem like everyone is flatshifting, while they really aren't. Secondly flatshifting has advantages, especially with turbo cars (the boost doesn't drop). Thirdly it can be used in real life and some real life racers use it too. It isn't very good for the car though.
And yes, there are lots of people who use it in LFS, because there is not any real danger of damaging the car.
Quote from phoretwenny :Probably someone trying to use anything to give them the upper hand, as usual.

Aside from cheating or breaking rules, would you not use anything and everything available or capable to give you the upper hand in a competition?

NitroNotorious, to answer your question, it is due to the fact that there is very little engine damage with "flatshifting" in LFS. In reality, shifting with your foot on the floor would eventually destroy your engine. With LFS, the engine damage physics are quite basic so far, and there is a rev limiter as well. In older patches (previous to your join date), you would damage the engine from flatshifting, but it still wasn't all that detrimental. Certain faster reving cars would damage, but other slower revving or faster shifting cars would not.

As Jakg stated while I typed this, we don't have clutch damage in LFS currently. But flatshifting doesn't have as much to do with clutch damage as it does transmission and engine damage.

Give a search for flatshifting here on the forum. There is plenty of talk about it.

EDIT: Sheesh, and after I said "Jakg...while I typed this", 3 more posts showed up....
Quote from mrodgers :...In older patches (previous to your join date)...

I know man, I play LFS since the first public version and remember when engines break down

Thanks very much for comments, I´ll do some searching, I didn´t know that it is called flatshifting
#9 - Osco
tbh I only flatshift the fxr, I leave throttle cut off on all cars, but lift myself in every other car. Unless the fxr will get some sort of antilag system I'll continue flatshifting it anyway..
its called powershifting in real life. If you do it correctly in real life, you shouldn't really cause TOO much damage but yes, eventually it will cause wear to your tranny. LFS just exagerates the shift, letting the RPM's rise way too much. If you were powershifting in a real vehicle, you want to get into the next gear as soon as possible.
its quite common in race cars and most of the time the clutch isnt even used. it isnt very realistic but for me i just like to hear the engines scream on the upshifts, reminds me of the 50cc motorcycles i used to drive in my teen years
#12 - neRu
ans7812 - its called flatshifting. Problem with lfs is, that most drivers usually dont control the clutch theirselves, with causes the rev's to rise too much. If i flatshift, both in lfs and irl (got a turbocar too), i lift of just a bit, so the revs really dont rise. It sounds stupid to do that full-throttle flatshifting. What you loose just "holding" the revs vs what you gain with rising revs - the difference is minimal.

Most fully programmable enginemanagements have today a feature called flatshift, designed for turbocars. You just keep the gas floored, and then when you depress the clutch, the management knows, and enters "turbo anti-lag mode" while keeping the revs up.

Check this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHuUfSPbhko
(Its not called "launch control", it's just very misunderstood. It's antilag)
Quote from neRu :ans7812 - its called flatshifting.

It has been known to be called "powershifting" here in the US.

Although, like you said it is commonly known as flatshifting.
Quote from Pain-less :It has been known to be called "powershifting" here in the US.

Although, like you said it is commonly known as flatshifting.

Tis true.

Just to note aside from picking apart what folks from different countries and communities call it, it has nothing to do with clutchless shifting. So, actually, it doesn't have much of an affect on the transmission as it does the engine. You can not clutchless shift in LFS at the moment.
Quote from mrodgers :You can not clutchless shift in LFS at the moment.

Yes, you can. it's not 100% realistic though..
Quote from Osco :tbh I only flatshift the fxr, I leave throttle cut off on all cars, but lift myself in every other car. Unless the fxr will get some sort of antilag system I'll continue flatshifting it anyway..

The FXR might be one of the most fragile cars to flatshifting... If you do it excessively, you can hear the engine "pop" after a few laps... The loss of power in a normal public race however might be so minor it doesn't matter...
#17 - Osco
Quote from bbman :The FXR might be one of the most fragile cars to flatshifting... If you do it excessively, you can hear the engine "pop" after a few laps... The loss of power in a normal public race however might be so minor it doesn't matter...

I know, seems the fxr engine is more fragile than others, it needs the flatshifting tho because of the turbolag... also I never use 1st gear no matter how slow of a turn I'm taking because it fuxxors so easily..popcorn anyone?
Quote from MAGGOT :Flatshifting is very common in real life.

There's no car I know of IRL designed to be shifted with the throttle butterflies fully open and no change to the ignition, plenty of cars have systems which allow a driver to keep his foot on the floor and think he's flat shifting be they cutting either the throttle or the ignition.
Well, I meant in racing. Most touring/GT drivers flatshift.
first time i heard of flatshifting was villeneuve in the 79 f1 ferrari so that was with a h shift and conventional clutch, i used to do it between 3rd and 4th on my (pathetic) hc 1256cc viva as it was so gutless and ran out of breath at 5500 rpm, keep it floored and the revs would peak at about 6ooo rpm before you released the clutch, only damage was the gear change extension tube which was always a weak spot with 1 locating screw locating it in box so any hard changing and it would wear and the lever would flop about, i went through them rather quickly and got gear box changes down to 30 mins
Quote from mrodgers :Aside from cheating or breaking rules, would you not use anything and everything available or capable to give you the upper hand in a competition?

Yeah, but in reality you slow down abit when you do the clutch. That's kinda part of the reason I like this racing game, it's quite realistic (most realistic one I've found anyway), apart from when you crash and sometimes you take off into the sky, spinning and stuff. That's just hilarious (the good kind).
Quote from phoretwenny :Yeah, but in reality you slow down abit when you do the clutch. That's kinda part of the reason I like this racing game, it's quite realistic (most realistic one I've found anyway), apart from when you crash and sometimes you take off into the sky, spinning and stuff. That's just hilarious (the good kind).

Yes, my thoughts also. But problem is, it is not yet realistic because the clutch, transmission, and engine damage are not properly simulated yet. Give LFS some time and we will have accurate simulation of these areas and the flatshifting by everyone will cease to exist.
Quote from mrodgers :...the flatshifting by everyone will cease to exist.

I think the flatshifting in the streetcars should stop; but not in the GTRs. Flatshifting is very common in GT and touring car racing; at least on the longer straights where slight changes make differences of multiple mph.
As I see it, "flatshifting" is shifting with your foot off the floor and "powershifting" is letting off, but gassing as you let the clutch out, like you're trying to break traction in the next gear.

I don't like either one of them. I don't like the sensation they produce, I don't like the unpleasant sound they produce, I don't like the fact that there is no consequence. But I still do it, because I also don't like losing races.

Please, transmission damage modeling and clutch heat modeling...
Quote from Barroso :its quite common in race cars and most of the time the clutch isnt even used. it isnt very realistic but for me i just like to hear the engines scream on the upshifts, reminds me of the 50cc motorcycles i used to drive in my teen years

O, you drove them? I love them indeed, I raced 50cc scooters in Macau. It's extremely fun, and after modifying, they can go up to 80 mph. That is real fast when riding on such a small scooter. O yea, I love the old days, although I am still young

Cut gas when shift up
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG