The online racing simulator
Auto TV Replay "director" camera
Hi,

It's be nice to see Auto TV Replay "action" camera in LFS.

Like in Geoff Crammond Formula 1 Grand Prix series.

CYA!
#2 - Fetzo
i am not sure what you mean, but i think that lfs should have an alternate view to the normal spectator view. it's very difficult to present a race with these cameras e.g. via ESL-TV. there way too many cuts during a lap. most of the sequences are very short and too much focused on a single car.

having cameras placed like in reallive with a major use of zoom at long straights would be nice. the camera should focus more on the whole racers-field (simply by not zooming that much).

maybe we are talking about the same thing .
I think he is talking about an automated "director" which automatically sets the camera focus on the car where the action is happening, like overtaking maneuvers or crashes.

But I think this is a pain in the ass to programm, as such a bot-director lacks the most important feat of a live programme director: intuition and instinct.

This problem was also apparent in the GP series, which had such a feature: it either switched too late to see the actual cool stuff, or randomly with no recognisable pattern.
should be able with an InSim tool,.....
i thought about it, but i have noit time to do that...
I asked about something similar a while back. Live for Speed Movie Maker has something like this. You can have it detect collisions, sliding more than X number of degrees, etc. LFSMM will mark those locations on the timeline and you can setup a camera to catch them.

Unfortunately, this is a lot of work, isn't automatic, and doesn't work on-the-fly. You have to setup everything manually.

I don't think there's really any way to do this in-game since replays are rendered using the actual physics engine. I don't know any way that the physics engine could foresee that there would be a collision before it happens. As far as the camera views that focus less on a single car and more on a group, that would be a really nice addition. It wouldn't add anything to the racing itself, but would be nice for watching replays of league races.
Quote from ColeusRattus :I think he is talking about an automated "director" which automatically sets the camera focus on the car where the action is happening, like overtaking maneuvers or crashes.

Yes, i talking about this
I don't think a TV director mode would be too hard to program. A part of the system is already there in form of yellow flags. The virtual LFS director could just detect a yellow flag area and switch to the involved cars.

For the normal race action, variables like the distance between to cars and their position could be used to calculate the "TV priority" of each car and always switch to the car with the highes priority. Then there could be special events, like the start (wide view of the front group showing a lot of cars), pitstops and the last lap (showing the leader). With the right balancing between the different events it shouldn't differ too much from a human director. Although LFS lacks intuition and instinct it has the advantage to see all cars advance, so you would never miss an important scene.
This is an awesome idea

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG