The online racing simulator
#1 - Wulle
Strange: +10 FPS with Nvidia Control Panel in background?
Hi folks,

I've got an Gainward 7800GS GLH AGP graphics adapter (which with default settings is running at 450GPU/700Memory in 2d and 500/700 in 3d) in my athlon x2 4600+ system.

By chance I observed the following thing:

- I benchmarked the performance of my system using the LFS benchmark (-> http://lfsbench.iron.eu.org/)
- take a look at the results at attachment 1 (avg fps = 54.200)
- since I was curious about the influence of different AA/AF settings I opened the nvidia control panel and minimized it to be able to quickly change the AA/AF settings
- because I wasn't sure, if the 3d display of the rotating eye in the nvidia control panel was invalidating the result of my first test, i repeated the test with the control panel minimized to the task bar
- benchmarking the system again with no changes to the configuration i was getting the results as displayed in attachment 2 (avg fps = 64.833)

Doing really a couple of tests, I am able to repeat this anytime: With the rotating nvidia eye of the control panel running in the background I always get ~10fps more than without a running control panel.

Even watching the clock frequencies using the riva tuner there were no differences: Starting LFS (btw: S2W) the GPU frequency raised from 450 (2d) to 500 (3d).

Any ideas?
Attached files
attachment 1 (no control panel).txt - 71 B - 123 views
attachment 2 (with running control panel).txt - 71 B - 123 views
If LFS is windowed you always get hgher FPS

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG