The online racing simulator
Tire physics experiments
(53 posts, started )
#51 - Woz
Quote from JeffR :I own a Caterham SV with a 2.3 liter Ford Duratech with about 250hp. This is the first car I've ever experienced lift throttle oversteer with (however the car recovered very quickly, much quicker than my heartrate did). Recovery seems much easier than it does in LFS, but as posted, it's because you can feel the rear end getting loose much sooner than you can with LFS. One thing that would help would be for tire scrub sounds to occur further below the limits than they do now with LFS. In a real car, you can hear scrub sounds well below the limits of traction (at slower speeds where wind noise doesn't block out the sounds).

Yep, tire scrub sounds earlier would help a bucket load as you would get that early warning but not sure how simple that would be as it depends on the tire model and how it is coded.
Quote from Woz :Yep, tire scrub sounds earlier would help a bucket load as you would get that early warning but not sure how simple that would be as it depends on the tire model and how it is coded.

Base the sounds on slip angle, and for throttle / brake usage, base it on slip ratio. The slip ratio sound may be a bit unrealistic if it kicks in well below the limits, but there isn't any other reasonable means of feedback.
I'm getting really good feedback off the tire sounds. In the FWDs I'm able to drive as WOZ explained he does in his Mini. I'm not very good with the FWDs yet, my right foot is a major impedement as 27 years of instincts are fighting change. But I'm "feeling" everything.

My tire sounds are all the way up, engine sounds almost all the way down. That may have something to do with it. And I don't use FF. I think I "feel" much, much more without it.

In the RWDs the rear tires seem to be a little more critical than I percieve them to be IRL. I think the fronts are masking to some extent. I'm sure the tire physics need some tweaking, and will get it.

Tire physics experiments
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG