The online racing simulator
Where is the finish line.....? [not a bug]
Strange Phenomenon

Just been racing around South City town Rev with the UF1 on a well populated server. After a few races my Pb started to come down so I was eagerly watching the clock as I approached the finish line.

as i did i noticed a discrepancy in the actual position of the finish line. Each lap I crossed it was stopping the clock when the car was at a different position on the straight?

Taking the clock restarting as the start/finish line. Look at my pics & you will see that each lap the start/finish line has moved! (sometimes 3 cars length in difference)

Can anyone explain this?
Attached images
line1.JPG
line2.JPG
line3.JPG
What the heck?!
Thats wierd :S

Frenchy
Perhaps there was some lag, and the text which displays laptimes was delayed every once in a while.
The finish line was back a little bit, but the message stays on the screen for about 3 seconds, and in that 3 seconds you took the pic.
#5 - amp88
Attach the replay file for us to have a look at please.
#6 - Davo
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :The finish line was back a little bit, but the message stays on the screen for about 3 seconds, and in that 3 seconds you took the pic.

Look at the lap counter, all screenshots were taken within .05 of a new lap
The finish line isn't at the line, its at the posts after the line (for some reason).
Has thrown me off before.
Quote from Jertje :Perhaps there was some lag, and the text which displays laptimes was delayed every once in a while.

As far as I'm aware lag does not effect the race timer.
Replay as requested:

Sorry its to big to post. How do I cut down an mpr?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :The finish line isn't at the line, its at the posts after the line (for some reason).
Has thrown me off before.

If you have looked at the pictures I posted you will see that the finish line is in three different positions. In fact moving every lap??

There appears to be no single start/finish line which was what I noticed whilst racing.
I have noticed that before, while I´m in hotlapping I had that problem as2
Yes I see what you mean. Similar bug in the game, although my query was more to do with the way the finish keeps moving from lap to lap.

I think we can safely say there is some sort of finish line glitch or something in LFS. I wonder if the devs have come across this before?
Westhill reverse certainly has a misaligned timing line: enter single player, set the lap counter to practice, and choose any car you like. The first lap you do will not be timed, because the timeline seems to be a fair bit behind the start position.

EDIT: in a race however, the timing starts correctly for the first lap, but the end of the lap is, as stated, a couple of car lengths behind the chequered stripe.

But I see that this error, has been unfixed since 2005... http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 87&highlight=westhill
Thats wierd
its not wierd , its simply a bug, which should be fixed
I've heard recently that there will be a new version of South City released in (maybe) the next patch (Y). I'm not entirely sure but I believe Scawen mentioned it somewhere.
yes, but this has not really much todo with the problem here
The finish line is in the same place all the time - you can see where that is if you use a SPR instead of an MPR.

In multiplayer mode there is a slight delay in seeing your lap time because the packets are sent to all computers. And that lag can vary, as you see when one player lags a little, the connection bars display moves up and that means there is a longer delay between game events being sent and received.

But this doesn't affect your actual laptimes - if you drive 3 laps at the same speed the times will be all the same, even if the display of those lap times is delayed by half a second or a tenth of a second.
#19 - Nobo
Haha, remembers me to this old funny race. The result was the exact oposite of the finish line passing order :P
Attached images
Zieleinlauf.jpg
Not a bug? I believe it is...
Quote from Scawen :

In multiplayer mode there is a slight delay in seeing your lap time because the packets are sent to all computers.

I don't believe this is the case at Westhill. Even in single player mode:

Quote from nihil :The first lap you do will not be timed, because the timeline seems to be a fair bit behind the start position.

I think Westhill has the bug that a few cars of the grid actually start infront of the finish line, while the rest of the field is behind as usual. From what I can remember, Eric has that already fixed in his version (or at least it is noted).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG