The online racing simulator
Spectate Improvement
(21 posts, started )
Spectate Improvement
Often when I'm online I'm watching my team mates and other fellas and I'm using the in car view for spectate. Now, if it's a qualifying session there is no way of knowing who you are spectating unless you switch view so you can see names over cars. It would be nice if a label somewhere told you who you were spectating.

Also, the mini map disappears during qualifying once the first time is set. I expect this is a known bug but it is annoying and it would be useful to see where on track the person is you are speccing and where all the other cars are in relation to that.

Also, the fact that the mini map disappears means that it's harder to avoid spoiling someone's fast lap when you are on your outlap cos you can't see where anyone is.
My mini-map doesn't dissapear in qualifying.....

and the name of the car you are viewing should have an arrow in the connections list next to it....
Quote from Thorvertonian :My mini-map doesn't dissapear in qualifying.....

and the name of the car you are viewing should have an arrow in the connections list next to it....

Strange - I think it must be a position option then. Mine is top right so is replaced by the times list. I guess I must be able to change that somewhere.

Never seen an arrow in the conn list - will check that out. Cheers.
i don't think there are arrows in the connection list.

a 'cars on the track' list with an arrow showing the currently viewed car in qualify would be good
Ctrl + Tab = "Hide results"
There is an arrow on the connections list bottom left, I have just tested it to make sure! It also highlights the players name, although this is difficult to see if the player has colours in the name, but the arrow is definetly there on mine!
#7 - kompa
Not the connections list but the positions list
I'd prefer to have it display something like

Onboard: <drivername>

than have to cycle through the connection list and stuff, even if like the replay recordings it faded after a couple of seconds. So I say +1
Connections list, bottom right when racing, thats what I call it anyways!

Sorry for confusion!!!

And you don't have to cycle through the drivers, just click the Controller (M, KB or W) in position/connections list and jumps straight to that person!
Quote from Thorvertonian :Connections list, bottom right when racing, thats what I call it anyways!

Sorry for confusion!!!

You mean the race position list I guess. Obviously that's not available in qualifying.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Strange - I think it must be a position option then. Mine is top right so is replaced by the times list. I guess I must be able to change that somewhere.

Never seen an arrow in the conn list - will check that out. Cheers.

Yes, put the mini map on the top left and it will always be visible.
Options>Display>Third row from top.
A similar idea: How about a skinnable area in the cockpit? Ad placement for those in-car cameras to feast on.
#13 - joen
I think there should just be an "in car numberplate", I don't know how else to call it. As you see them irl too. Just a little plate on the dashboard with the driver's name and flag on it. Can't find a pic.
#14 - Davo
I'm liking the in car numberplate idea. It would be enough to have their display name there.
Well, my take on the in car plate is a bit different. Just like in nk pro, you should be only able to get some predetermined cameras with overlays in replays showing the needed info (basically just a bunch of preset onboard cameras). And by making those overlays with dds textures (or even jpg files) the end users - us - could even edit them per series

I am not saying it is a bad idea to have skinnable onboard ...boards, I'm just saying that you won't ever see a onboard video where the camera is exactly at place where the driver's eyes are .

To get the idea of overlays:
http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... =2977469&postcount=10
I don't normally have the connection list open as the position list is a lot more useful when spectating. Because coloured names don't highlight properly, an arrow should be added to the position list as well.

It would make watching multiplayer replays easier too.
Tell you what else would improve the replay functinality. I recently got my own server so I spend a lot more time just watching and making sure there is no nonsense.

Now I often sit back on the sofa, have a smoke and watch the action on my new 22" widescreen monitor. I always like to spectate in in-car view as you can really see how the driver is doing.

Problem is this. I have to keep getting up to hit [TAB] to switch cars when the one I was following is on their own and there is nothing to watch. I check the mini map, find to cars closest on track and watch the one behind so I can see all the action.

My suggestion is this. Why not create and additional replay option called maybe "follow action". This would encapsulate the same logic I use when I decide which car to follow. The logic would be like this.

For each car in the race find the gap to the car in front.

Follow car with smallest gap to car in front.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Tell you what else would improve the replay functinality. I recently got my own server so I spend a lot more time just watching and making sure there is no nonsense.

Now I often sit back on the sofa, have a smoke and watch the action on my new 22" widescreen monitor. I always like to spectate in in-car view as you can really see how the driver is doing.

Problem is this. I have to keep getting up to hit [TAB] to switch cars when the one I was following is on their own and there is nothing to watch. I check the mini map, find to cars closest on track and watch the one behind so I can see all the action.

My suggestion is this. Why not create and additional replay option called maybe "follow action". This would encapsulate the same logic I use when I decide which car to follow. The logic would be like this.

For each car in the race find the gap to the car in front.

Follow car with smallest gap to car in front.

since gaps are always changing, an automated camera can get quite jumpy, constantly switching focus and moving etc., but i guess a more complex logic will be able to do the job

how about a (preferably clickable) 'cars on track list' similar to the position list we have now in a race. this list will order the cars according to their locations on the track (maybe relative to the finishline) and have some kind of visual hint for car clusters, maybe even flags too. so with this list you can always see where the actions and dangers are, and then just simply click on the car you wanna watch.

or, a completely interactive (bigger) map when you are spectating, with player names etc. it will be even easier to survey the track.

by the way i think with current InSim you can already have the camera follow the actions on track, if the camera control logic is well defined of course
Quote from icyocean :since gaps are always changing, an automated camera can get quite jumpy, constantly switching focus and moving etc., but i guess a more complex logic will be able to do the job

Yes you would have to add into the logic a clause to only check the gaps say every 10 seconds. Or this 10 second time constant could be user amendable. Then you don't have the camera constantly switching cars.

User would then just choose the 'follow action' option and enter the number of seconds before a car switch is made.
see also
Quote from Gentlefoot :My suggestion is this. Why not create and additional replay option called maybe "follow action". This would encapsulate the same logic I use when I decide which car to follow. The logic would be like this.

There is LFS TV Director for that

Spectate Improvement
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG