The online racing simulator
Is LFS Dual Core Friendly?
(11 posts, started )
Now that the W17 test patch is out allowing 32 cars in a race, it got me paranoid. I run a Celeron that gets uber low FPS when AI's and cars are around. So this is where my question comes in. Does LFS take advantage of a dual core and would a E4400 with a 60% overclock get bogged down when behind 31 cars?
~Bryan~
Nope, LFS does not take advantage of dual core (yet?)
Dang...that kind of sucks. I bet the devs are working on it though
~Bryan~
You would get definately better FPS with every modern CPU then your Celeron which always sucked because its very crippled CPU.

Still can confirm that LFS doesnt take advantage of the second core.
What kind of work would be needed to make LFS use the Dual Core technology? A simple script edit, or a complete re-work? Thoughts?...
~Bryan~
From other threads on this, what I can recall is that Scawen would have to entirely re-code LFS in order to work on dual core systems. Maybe one day, but I doubt it since Scawen has always wanted to reach out to every type of processor out there to handle LFS. Which, if he did re-code LFS, I believe that would mean there would have to be two versions, or if only the dual core, then it would render single core computers obsolete (which isn't a good thing in any case).
Guys, said in that ways is a bit confusing for him, imho.

LFS can run on dual core CPUs, and will use only one core.
But if u want to buy an E4400, i'm sure that with one core it will run LFS very well too.
E4400 is a good cpu imho.
The E4400 is indeed beautiful, $200 canadian, and will do 3.2ghz on stock vcore. That seems rather harsh how the entire code would have to be re-done to take advantage of dual cores but I guess it's nothing major seeing how even entry level dual cores can run LFS so well. Hell, the 3ghz P4's at my school run LFS damn well. Gotta love the code for this game
~Bryan~
#9 - Gunn
Try this thread for some of Scawen's thoughts on the subject..
I have an E4300 running at FSB 300 (2.7 GHz) and it is doing well with a full grid of AI (no chance yet to test 32, max was 20. But I have no doubt that it will handle 32 as well).
#11 - Jakg
erm, 32 online cars should work fine (my 3 GHz AMD keeps up somehow), and making LFS "dual core friendly" aka multi-threaded would run fine on single cores, its just a LOT of work (most games will be writen in multi-threaded or not, few are converted because most games lifespans isn;t long... unlike LFS)

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG