The online racing simulator
[Keyboard] Smooth Driving Controls
Hello Fellaws!

I'm making this thread so us keyboarders can share our controls and try to get the smootest movement as the keyboard allows us. Here are mine, basically good settings to drift.

Keyboard steer : [keyboard - stabilised]
Auto gear shift : [no]
Steer rate 1.00 :
Return rate 1.00 :
Fast steer multiplier 2.91 :
Slow steer multiplier 0.50 :
Limit multiplier 0.72 :
Button control rate 6.00 :

For the beginners, just look at the following:

Quote from Riders Motion :Keyboard steer : [stabilised] = wheels return to center, [no help] = you have to steer damn fast
Auto gear shift : [yes] = automatic, [no] = manual
Steer rate 1.00 : how fast the wheels moves from left to center to right (L-C-R)
Return rate 1.00 : how fast the wheels return to their initial point (center)
Fast steer multiplier 2.91 : increases the 'Return rate' coeficient
Slow steer multiplier 0.50 : decreases the 'Return rate' coeficient
Limit multiplier 0.75 : multiplies the the 'Return rate' coeficient
Button control rate 5.95 :the overall sensitivity

J. Jacques
#2 - Jakg
what wrong with the mouse...?
Quote from Jakg :what wrong with the mouse...?

Nothing. It just doesn't suit everyone. It is a great tool for steering I am sure. Very good for precise control.

Personally for me mouse feels awkward and goofy, it doesn't feel right. I guess its from years of playing other driving games with Keyboard. Also my arms are rather clapped out from using mouse on computers for many years and using a mouse for more than 30 seconds induces severe cramps and pain. So keyboard was a great option for me. Everyone is different and not everyone feels the mouse is better than keyboard. But its always worth mentioning it to new players, in-case they dont realise they can use it as well.

And the topic content was great by the way, Riders Motion. I have occasionally revisited demo servers to see whats going on. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Anyway, every newbie I encounter struggling with the controls I tell them these exact settings, pretty much to the letter. And straight away they are grateful as they can actually get around the track without spinning out on every corner. They can't say thanks enough. I was the same - it happened to me as well. I was battling for days trying to master basic cornering, until I used settings such as you have set out. It made the driving a whole lot easier. I found I needed the 1.00 steering/return rates to give me more control when countersteering and re-correcting my mistakes.

They of course aren't optimal settings for everyone - but if I see someone struggling and they ask for help - these are pretty much the settings I tell them to use.
#4 - Ziil
Steer rate 0.48 :
Return rate 0.42 :
Fast steer multiplier 3.00 :
Slow steer multiplier 0.33 :
Limit multiplier 0.8 :
Button control rate 6.00 :

it's good for the XRT but i use a bit lower steer and return rate for the XFG
I tried mouse but it just felt wrong to me so I stuck with KB
Thank you guys for sharing with the community
Don't sink away little topic, wait for other keyboarders to share their setups
i pretty much max out the settings fo KB
*****Bump*****

Steer rate 1.00 :
Return rate 1.00 :
Fast steer multiplier 2.91 :
Slow steer multiplier 0.50 :
Limit multiplier 0.75 :
Button control rate 5.95 :

Since my wheel broke down, I am back with my best friend the keyboard. I changed my settings a bit and it feels a little more natural now.

Hey guys im also using a keyboard, but I have no clue what setup changes what ingame. Could you guys tekll me what option changes what behaviour of the car?

Thanks alot guys!
Quote from Frost_More :Hey guys im also using a keyboard, but I have no clue what setup changes what ingame. Could you guys tekll me what option changes what behaviour of the car?

Thanks alot guys!

This is a good basic guide that will help you understand, there is an advanced setup guide around but that would be for much later.

http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/B ... tup_Guide#Quick_reference

OR do you mean the control settings?
Thanks I will check it out

but I was talking about the control setting yes.
Quote from Riders Motion :Keyboard steer : [stabilised] = wheels return to center, [no help] = you have to steer damn fast
Auto gear shift : [yes] = automatic, [no] = manual
Steer rate 1.00 : how fast the wheels moves from left to center to right (L-C-R)
Return rate 1.00 : how fast the wheels return to their initial point (center)
Fast steer multiplier 2.91 : increases the 'Return rate' coeficient
Slow steer multiplier 0.50 : decreases the 'Return rate' coeficient
Limit multiplier 0.75 : multiplies the the 'Return rate' coeficient
Button control rate 5.95 :the overall sensitivity

Thanks for the input! I will check it out and make my set Real thanks!
No problem, spam in the thread or PM me if you have other questions

Edit: 666th messages, I feel diabolic muhahahahahahahahahaha (Insert devil smiley here)
This thread was much needed.

@ Riders Motions - I think your control settings are good for drifting. I am not a drifter but I use high values of Steer Rate and Return Rate when I drive in rally.

Ideal values for me are

Steer rate: .30 - .40 (Depending upon the car XFG, XRG or XRT)
Return rate: .10 - .20 (Depending upon car again)

For RallyX though my settings are much higher in terms of values.

Most KS racers would find these values very low. Though higher values make it easier to drive, but they cause too much instability.

Of course there are other important settings like

Fast steer multiplier: 2.39
Very very useful, helps you do a lot of critical corrections while driving.

Button control rate: 2.89
Im using this setup right now, as far as I know its pretty standard.

Keyboard steer : stabilised
Auto gear shift : Manual
Steer rate 0.40
Return rate 0.20
Fast steer multiplier 2.00
Slow steer multiplier 0.50
Limit multiplier 0.80
Button control rate: 4.00

I'm willing to change it but I have no idea how to change it, it feels pretty normal to me right now because I never knew this could affect your steering . So any tips if I should change, if so how do I start?

Thanks in advance guys ^^
Quote from JasonJ :Nothing. It just doesn't suit everyone. It is a great tool for steering I am sure. Very good for precise control.

Personally for me mouse feels awkward and goofy, it doesn't feel right. I guess its from years of playing other driving games with Keyboard.

Same here. Steering with the mouse doesn't make sense to me also. Although its much better than KB but it still just doesn't feel right. Inspite of this, I've spent enough time driving with mouse as well.And now I have a momo too.

But I still looove KS.
Hi, I think my major issue with mouse is the inability to auto centre the wheel position, or even know where it is pointing without the Virtual steering guage's help. You can't actually see the wheel model in Chase view. (the fav view I play with)
With KS, I use the chase view. But with wheel or mouse I use the in-car view

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG