The online racing simulator
Everything Is Unread?
(23 posts, started )
Everything Is Unread?
When i click on my User CP it comes up saying everything i have posted in is unread? and also when i go into a new section everything says unred? even when i click on it too read it...it says that it is still unread? anyone know what is wrong?

Cheers
John
u should have read the announcement victor made.
then u would know whys that
oh right soory never realised..just came on and posted never thought but thanks!
I thought it would be all unread only once, but it's like every day now....
Quote from danowat :I find it a PITA to be honest

It's a win/lose situation for me. I read the forum via the "New Posts" link. Sometimes there would be 5, 6, even 9 pages of new posts with the old way. I of course don't read all of them, but by the time I reach the higher pages, they are no longer available. There may have been a thread I was interested in and I no longer see it.

Now, you must click "mark read" or actually read it to clear the "unread" status. I now have 20 pages in the "New Posts" link because I don't read much in the skins, leagues, or programmer's sections for example. Now to clear the "unread" status, I have to go into those sections and mark the section read. Then people will post league information that I am not involved in and they are again "unread".

One thing with the way it is now is, if you use the "New Posts" link, you will get the message "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." at the start of where the posts you are not interested in are. So, at least you know which are actually new posts and which are only unread.

I'm not sure if I like it or not yet. Being on dialup, or at work when I read, I miss a lot of posts. There are some that are bumped after a year and I have never seen the original posts. So, it is kind of nice in that respect.
I like how the new system gives me more control over what I see. Imho, it is better now
#8 - Davo
#9 - arco
Quote from mrodgers :Now to clear the "unread" status, I have to go into those sections and mark the section read.

Easy, when you're done with what you want to read, go to the frontpage and click "Mark Forums Read". Then everything gets marked as read.
cheers mate...i couldnt find the button to do that lol..
It's also in the Quick Links menu at the top, so no need to scroll down each time...
This new system is a pain and contrary to how pretty much every other forum works. Yep, I know it's easy enough to click that I've read the posts, but no, I'm not going to remember or bother Enough to stop me browsing the forum I think.
Have to keep clicking the "mark as read button", is a PITA for me, but not enough to warrant stop browsing the forum
Quote from Blowtus :This new system is a pain and contrary to how pretty much every other forum works. Yep, I know it's easy enough to click that I've read the posts, but no, I'm not going to remember or bother Enough to stop me browsing the forum I think.

Elaborate please.
on what?
So the only problem is that the threads that you ignored earlier (the threads you did not click/read) do stil come up when you later search for new posts?

Not really a problem for me and I constantly forget the "mark forumz read" button
Quote from Hyperactive :So the only problem is that the threads that you ignored earlier (the threads you did not click/read) do stil come up when you later search for new posts?

Not really a problem for me and I constantly forget the "mark forumz read" button

Which is a pita.... Now I have to find that damn button everytime
hardly an improvement..
While I find it good that the "unread" marking is much more accurate now, the "New Posts" function got kinda weird. Yes, sometimes it bothered me that some threads vanished after being idle for a while, but now there are like 200 unread threads constantly, and even after marking them read they fill up quickly.

Also I used to be able to click on the "New Posts" shortcut again to simply return to a cached result from a few minutes ago - if I do that now, then the just read posts are really gone from the search results. So if I read or reply to a thread and click on new posts to go "back", then the thread I just watched or replied to is gone, too. Before that they still showed up in the results, but not marked bold as they were already read.
Preferred it before quite honestly. Now browsing is much harder, and long winded. Harder to find posts you've just read (and then accidentally closed or something, or just need to refer back to), and if you forget to mark threads as read manually you end up with millions...

Wasn't the 'mark as read' limit 15 minutes before or something, and is now 14 days? Could I suggest that is changed to a user variable (i.e. we can set it to 14 days if we go on holiday, but otherwise leave it as it was), and can we have 'read' posts remaining in the New Posts search.

Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways from every other vB forum ever
#20 - Davo
It's easier to find new posts now because the threads are bold so you know where a new post is. I prefer it to the old system where it would mark stuff as read that wasn't or it wouldn't even mark some threads as read after reading them.

You can also double click the icon to mark a forum read if bold annoys you.
They are always friggin bold, thats the problem, without hitting the "mark as read" button, everything, even the stuff I have read, still looks unread.

TBH, I don't think there was anything wrong with the old way, why was this chance "sprung" on us without giving the community the chance to decide if they would like it or not?
#22 - Davo
Wow that does suck. Why is it working properly here? Threads I've read appear read and normal unbold. It's working just like every other forum I visit since only new replies make a thread apear bold and unread.
#23 - arco
Quote from danowat :They are always friggin bold, thats the problem, without hitting the "mark as read" button, everything, even the stuff I have read, still looks unread.

That's odd. Could it be a cookie problem?

Everything Is Unread?
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG